R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Spring rate too soft? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/362499-spring-rate-too-soft.html)

nomaak 01-20-2010 04:50 PM

Spring rate too soft?

Can having too soft a spring rate make a TC spin out? I've been having trouble locking the rear end of my losi jrxsPro to the track. Finally decided to re-check my springs.....the fronts are "correct" AE blue, but the rears were wrong. i found out that they were HPI silvers instead of AE silvers. The HPI springs are rated at 8 lbs instead of a heavier wt. I just made up some BK brackets today and they're go on the car after i get the kids to bed. thanx in advance.

stiltskin 01-20-2010 05:07 PM

If the rear is rolling too much, the chassis may drag on the track and take the pressure off of the tire. That would cause you to spin out. If you're running carpet and this is happening, you should see some gunk build-up on the outside edge of the rear of the chassis.

nomaak 01-20-2010 05:25 PM

thanks stiltskin...i'm running on an older grade parking lot. it's kinda on the ruff and gritty side. with my past 3 racecars i've managed to get a comfortable set-up in one or two test days. but not this car! i've been at it for a month now! i'm not that big a fan of rubber tyre racing but i aint new to chassis set-up eigther..... but this losi is a hard beast to get comfortable on asphalt. (unless you're at a big race and the track has been prepped for greater traction).

:tire:

dontfeelcold 01-21-2010 06:04 AM

try a heavier weight oil in all 4 shocks.

M-Technic 01-21-2010 06:29 AM

HPI silvers are actually stiffer than AE silvers. HPI silvers are 17lb springs and AE silvers are 14.5lb springs.

trerc 01-21-2010 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by M-Technic (Post 6885451)
HPI silvers are actually stiffer than AE silvers. HPI silvers are 17lb springs and AE silvers are 14.5lb springs.

Yep ^^^

nomaak 01-21-2010 04:18 PM

wow...their web site says they're 8lbs. (look up the spring rate chart)

hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/I-6751-2-V9-color.jpg

dontfeelcold...you could be right. i'm running 30wt in the front & 25wt in the rear. pink pistons all around. factory "BK" arms fr/ homemade BK brackets Rr.

trerc 01-21-2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by nomaak (Post 6887854)
wow...their web site says they're 8lbs. (look up the spring rate chart)

hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/I-6751-2-V9-color.jpg

dontfeelcold...you could be right. i'm running 30wt in the front & 25wt in the rear. pink pistons all around. factory "BK" arms fr/ homemade BK brackets Rr.

Ahh, I assumed you meant the Pro 4 springs.. Sorry

nomaak 01-21-2010 07:23 PM

no prob tre. if i could get these to work then i sure would!!! MY lhs has a bunch of them.:lol:

Tag 01-21-2010 10:58 PM

springs control how the weight transfers, i would start with correct tires and maybe add a little rear toe-ins.

Originally Posted by nomaak (Post 6882787)
Can having too soft a spring rate make a TC spin out? I've been having trouble locking the rear end of my losi jrxsPro to the track. Finally decided to re-check my springs.....the fronts are "correct" AE blue, but the rears were wrong. i found out that they were HPI silvers instead of AE silvers. The HPI springs are rated at 8 lbs instead of a heavier wt. I just made up some BK brackets today and they're go on the car after i get the kids to bed. thanx in advance.

nomaak 01-22-2010 07:34 PM

thanks tag.....i got a couple pair of losi springs so i can bring the shock towers down to the lower mount. losi made this car a losi "exclusive" IMO. other words....it's parts dont play well with other manufacturers:).

we haven't had a dry day here all week. soon as it dries i'm headed back out with different pistons. have some 6-7-7's and sum 6-6-7's in mind.