Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest track for VTA or Stock Slash

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Smallest track for VTA or Stock Slash

I know a 35 by 65 indoor track can effectively hold tenth-scale races for all classes (I'm thinking the Trackside dirt track near Milwaukee). I'm looking to set up an indoor non-dirt track. We all love tenth scale, but are feeling pressured to go with 1/18th scale due to building size. Does anyone have experience what are the smallest track dimensions where VTA (or a stock class of offroad) can be run effectively? The absolute biggest possible for us (almost no pits) is 55x24, but we are looking at 40x24 if we have more meaningful pit areas.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Coyote Hobbies in Lexington KY is 50x30 and they have a good VTA/21.5 Trans-Am class. With the track being only 24' besides 30' I don't think it would be much of a problem other than the lanes are going to be tighter.

We run Touring, Trans-Am, 1/12th scale.

They also have a large oval crowd on Friday night. Legend racing is really popular during the winter and a 21.5/1s lipo pan car class.

There was another track in town that was 40x24 and they started running all 1/18th scale but then moved to 12th scale for their on-road and some VTA cars.

Hope this helps ya. There some pics on the coyotehobbbies.com website.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
I know a 35 by 65 indoor track can effectively hold tenth-scale races for all classes (I'm thinking the Trackside dirt track near Milwaukee). I'm looking to set up an indoor non-dirt track. We all love tenth scale, but are feeling pressured to go with 1/18th scale due to building size. Does anyone have experience what are the smallest track dimensions where VTA (or a stock class of offroad) can be run effectively? The absolute biggest possible for us (almost no pits) is 55x24, but we are looking at 40x24 if we have more meaningful pit areas.
having seen your proposed layout and "meaningful" layout size restrictions, what you really have is on the small size even for mini's/1/18th scale cars. but it is do-able. I've run 1/12th on a track that size, but it was almost pointless as the laps were either too quick to get any space between the cars or the lanes so narrow it led to a lot of broken cars and parts. both things that chased away racers. you really need an area similar to a gym floor/basketball court size to run 1/10th scale anything. we race mini's indoors during the winter and larger scales outdoors during the summer and it works quite well.