Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which electric car can handle 70+ MPH ????? >

Which electric car can handle 70+ MPH ?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which electric car can handle 70+ MPH ?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Questions?? Which electric car can handle 70+ MPH ?????

I need to know which electric cars can handle brushless power without breaking parts and be able to beat a nitro 4-tec 3.3 in a drag race. All input is appreciated.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Most electric cars will need a few minor upgrades to handle that kind of power. They just build them a little cheaper to keep costs down.
Shaft drive cars are good up to about 100mph, but beyond that they can cause trouble.
Belt drive cars can go a little faster on the top end, but the belts are under tremendous stress during acceleration, and need constant maintenance.

I would look for a TC4. Make sure you get steel diffs if it doesnt come with them, and good metal axles. Everything else is bulletproof. A Mamba Max 5700 combo, 3s Lipo, 30 tooth pinion, good tires......from there he can unload 3 dumptrucks of money under the hood of that nitro and he will never catch you unless he goes brushless.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SWATsn1per
I need to know which electric cars can handle brushless power without breaking parts and be able to beat a nitro 4-tec 3.3 in a drag race. All input is appreciated.
I would say the Tamyia Lunch Box would be more then cabable of handling the power and raw speed you are looking for. You may have to run a different speedo then the one that comes in the kit though.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by march to my own
I would say the Tamyia Lunch Box would be more then cabable of handling the power and raw speed you are looking for. You may have to run a different speedo then the one that comes in the kit though.
lol
Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SWATsn1per
If you can use ANY chassis...get yourself a used 1/8th off road buggy ($100) and do the brushless system convertion...any 2350 range motor, gear to the moon, with 4-6 cells lipo, some on road rubber tires (or foams), on road body...then you can hit 90mph very easy. Car will not break if you drive normally, but it will break in 100 pieces if you hit a concrete pole/pier 90mph...for sure.

We have local drag racing/bashing every friday night...I have seen plenty of OFNA, RC8 with 6 cells brushess were hitting 90+mph clocked by the local police laser speed gun...they can all get their license suspended and a court date by 50 mph over a 40mph speed zone, LOL.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

TC3, TC4, TC5, JRX-S, xxxs. Any of these will hit 100 MPH stock without a problem.
You can pick up a used tc3 for around 50 bucks. A guy on here has a tc4 for $70.00 which is even better. Run through the bearings and diffs, install some foam tires, slap in a mamba max from Castle Creations a 7700 motor and some hot batteries. A good body for high speed is the McAllister Charger.
I bought all used stuff off this site and I have a car capable of 100 MPH for $180.00 not including batteries. The nitro guys don't ask if I want to race anymore.
Watch the gearing and motor temps when going for high speed. I can only get around 4 top speed runs before I get a little nervous.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by march to my own
nope, I dont think a Lunchbox can do that, I thnk you have a better chance to hit that mark with a Midnight pumpkin by Tamiya.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Believe it or not, if you want to win a drag race with that car....

Get yourself one of the mini E-Revos with the Brushless system. Strap in 2 of the battery packs.

The horsepower to weight ratio is what you need. Plus the electric car has all the bottom end torque that nitro car lacks. Just make sure to fit a wheelie bar on the car.

You can even upgrade the brushless system just to get completely retarded.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

If it is an a asphalt road buy a pro10 slap on some appropiate tire compound and soak the back tires with tire additives, heat the tires with tire warmers and put in a 6.5 delta wound motor or a 4.0t star brushless with 2s lipo (put the lipo's at the back with all the other weight) and use a high downforce body like the porsche or even better a super high downforce lola body.

The modified 235mm pancars run 70mph+ with ease here on the straight part of the circuit (measured with a speed trap) and they are geared to run on a circuit, not only on a straight length of road. The first half feet you will have to be a little gentle on the throttle but after that you can jam it hard as the downforce will do the rest. Works like a charm. The weight will be less then touring car so has a better ratio and will out accelerate a tc with ease. a pancar is a race car and doesn't do weelies so it uses all the hp to go forwards not up and rolling about when you hit full throttle like some bash car.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

FYI, my right side CVDs exploded the other day before I hit 50...