Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
It happened again...but worse this time....IIC Trailer broken into. >

It happened again...but worse this time....IIC Trailer broken into.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It happened again...but worse this time....IIC Trailer broken into.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clegg
As some one who deals with security issues for my job... Security through obscruity (the whole "Shhh its a SECRET!" stuff) doesnt work. Best and only solid bet, just hire a private security firm to have someone watch it for a night. Its cheap, effective, and probably will keep the insurance cost on the event lower since you can prove to the insurance company that you have taken steps to avoid this in the future.

Just not telling people where a trailer is... is never going to work. Anyone who wants to find the trailer, will. Would it be that hard to follow it from the hotel?
Good point!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

That sucks - Scotty and the crew did an awesome job, then some idiot does this

I'm lucky not to have lost any gear despite shipping it half way around the world more than once. It is all replaceable but that's not the point.

Scotty - really sorry to hear this news. If there is anything we can do to help, you know you only have to ask...

Mark
Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Hello everyone,

Well it has been a very trying week working to get this whole mess taken care of. As difficult as this process is, it makes me feel so good to read all the kind words from our friends around the world. What can i say but thank you to all of you for the kindness and offerings. It is very humbling to get all these well wishes and emails from all of you guys offering your assistance in what ever form possible. We all thank you very much.

I have been in contact with our insurance company and we are slowly working on this long and daunting task, they have been very nice so far and we will see how things progress in the coming days.

Thanks again to everyone for their offers and kindness during this very difficult time for us.

Sincerely,
Scotty
Old 09-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Scotty,

When IIC rolls around next year I'll sleep in your trailer.

Someone comes rappin' on the door without the password takes a dirt nap!

Mary Francis Adam Henrys!!

If there is anything you need help with Scotty just say so.

Jimmy Wright
Old 09-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Scotty,
Sorry to hear about this man but glad to hear insurance is cooperating. I lived there for 5 years and was very in touch with the physical security, or lack of, side of Vegas. It is VERY common for moving trucks and trailers to get popped open at hotels being such a transient city. Most of the hotels have their own security forces and thus local PD isn't there as much. hook it to a truck and back it to a wall or pay for a secured lot are the best suggestions.

Good luck and hope this never happens again. Twice is odd though i have to say.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Adept

Damn Damn this F'n city! I'm still very sad and about what happened to Scotty, Paul and crew. Us local racers have been on the lookout. I'm still PO'ed......
Old 09-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Apex
I agree with you, but sometimes people are desperate to make ends meet and stealing is their only alternative. However, in this case it doesn't seem to be the case. Hopefully insurance will cover it.
Apex you got issues. Never ok to steal. It seems as if the slow economy is a justifiable reason to steal? C'mon man, snap out of it.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Scotty, you need to make it an easy yet not obvious place to break in next year and catch the scumbags.

It's pretty obvious to me it's an inside job. Some racer with no morals.

The owner of the LHS/indoor/outdoor track was killed a few years back by a couple meth freaks. They shot him in the stomach and left him for dead. THEN, they came back while he was dying (wasn't able to get to the phone) and stole more. I grew up racing at Dave Mapston's place and have a sincere hatred for these two guys. I very much wish they were dead.

Vegas racers: come together and find these guys.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Tech Champion

Oh boy, it's bad enough to hear it happen, but if it is an inside thing they deserve to be banned from the IIC for life, period

All the crew put on an excellent event and don't deserve anything bad to happen, especially something like this.

I hope everything gets found and returned to their rightful owners.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Here is an idea.

How about backing the trailer up to the side of the building so the doors would be impossible to open and hire a rent a cop for $7.00 an hour.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sorry for the late post...just reading this for the first time...wow...I had no idea.

This brings to memory back in the day when I raced motocross...and occassionally somebody at the hotel would get their stuff stolen right from outside the hotel room. We talked to guys and they said they had their pickup backed right up to the patio door of their room and the scumbags were silent about it, lifted the bikes right over the side of the truck and never made a sound.

I think, the only way to keep the stuff safe is to have somebody awake ( not one person, two people ) and keep watch all night.

I agree...the bummer is that somebody who you guys raced with all weekend at the event was probably behind the theft...kind of gives you the creeps With that being said...whoever did this probably also shares the message boards here...and may or may not try again next year.

We just can't win.