Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions About GP3300 Equilization

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 06:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Questions About GP3300 Equilization

I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea for me to get an equilization tray (maybe the rayspeed exceed one) for my GP3300 NiMH cells. Let me know how many of you guys tray your cells and if it would be a good idea to get one. Also, if it is a good idea to get a tray for my packs, should I get one with a .9 cutoff (like the raypseed) or one with a 0.0 cutoff (like the trinity).

Thanks,
etzkev
Old 01-31-2004, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

My experience with traying the GP's has been good, seems to keep the capacity up, without affecting the cell voltage.

I would recommend a tray with a cutoff (I use the Robitronic one, which cuts off at around 0.75 volts).
Old 01-31-2004, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I persobally bring my cells to 0.The problem is guys who havent been doing this go from what they are doing to this all in 1 weekend chancing damaging the cells.
GP3300's are the closest to Nicads I have seen.They do have a lil memory buildup.The rayspeed tray is a nice tray for anyone wanting that extra power from their packs and if you know how to train your packs and take your time or start off with a 0 tray from the date of purchase on your cells it works nice too.I personally have 6 packs I have been experimenting with and the 2 packs were trayed to 0 and deadshorted(These packs have offered me the most punch but did loose about 12-15 seconds runtime),The next 2 packs were discharge inbetween rounds and then trayed till the lights started to dim and take them off.This offered some nice results as well.(Maybe not the punch of the deadshort but also didnt loose any runtime.)I would suggest this for someone that needs the time for mod sedan.
The 3rd way was to leave the charge in the cell inbetween rounds and just recharge.I would then at the end of the day take the pack down to 5.4 and store it.These 2 packs lost voltage and lost a lil punch over 3-4 month period.If you train these cells slowly to take a 0 tray and then eventually deadshort them brought some punch and voltage back into the packs.I started with week 1 of training to discharge in between charges and then at the end of the day I would tray them till the lights were almost dimm,the next week I was traying them inbetween races till the lights almost went out and then at the end of the day letting the lights go out and then pulling it off.I repeated this again in week 3 and then in week 4 I deadshorted.The cells gained punch and voltage got better.I hope this wasnt confusing I tried to be detailed about it.
Do NOT deadshort generation 1 GP3300's.You can tell these cells due to the lower voltage's that were out when they came out.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with the Trinity real time tray then (since I race stock where punch is more important than runtime). So I shouldn't immediatly let them fully reach 0.0 the first time I tray them? I should do it gradually so that eventually I let them get to 0.0?

LMK and thanks,
etzkev
Old 01-31-2004, 08:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

check out the battery maintenance tips from SMC....

www.smc-racing.com
Old 01-31-2004, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I have seen that, but don't fully agree with it.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

integy also recommends traying GP cells up to 48hrs.......

brian kinwald said on trinity tech talk that traying the cells before every run put a lot of stress.....
he uses to tray the cells + - every 5 runs...