R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-29-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default data logger for r/c??

has any one tried this eage tree data logger .........for 149 it seems like a good tool for really seeing what your car is doing..........i saw an ad in a mag so i went to the site.........the ad says it will also have a g-force sensor avalible soon too........
h22ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Tech Master

Thats SICK, I wonder how it senses the stuff though, this is a question for all you engineering folk.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Just wondering why it will help to tune the car by looking at #'s when you can feel what the car is doing on the track immediately. I think it is more of a tool to show off with.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 10:19 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I suppose for the person that has everything, this would be one more thing to get. I don't think this is any more ridiculous than 400 dollar battery chargers and people can't get enough of those. I guess every little edge counts in the end.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:09 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Randman. Unlike real race cars we can only see what an R/C car does and in combination with laptimes we assume that a car works good or not. The more sensors on our little cars the faster we will get. For example, we see when an R/C car breaks out but with a real car you can feel it will break out before it actually happens. What would be great is a transmitter with feedback (a bit like those playstation controllers), If the wheel gets pushed back we should feel it on the transmitter wheel and with some sort of gyro in our transmitter we should feel the G-forces that our R/C car has.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:18 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

really the reasons to GET this just keep stacking when u think about it. it has a tach so u can tell if u hit peak rpm in the straight away at your track.....use the g-force sensors to find the best set-up on suspension and tires...also just to see how quick it can leave the line and how well your car breaks.....watch for power spikes in your packs and motor and even watch to see if thoae cooling fins really work or not...and also it has a speedo

almost all types of 1:1 racing will have some type of data logger onboard....F1 even has a real time set up so the pic crews can see what the car is doing while it's on the track
h22ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:50 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

this would be an extremely valueable tuning tool, but you have to be able to interperet the information.

once you understand it, you could get every last bit out of the cars setup
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:37 AM   #8
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

R/C Tech has been given a unit to review, and we'll be doing a review of it after the Snowbirds are over. It's a pretty slick unit, I must say.

Also look for a review/spotlight in an upcoming issue of Xtreme RC.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:46 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I'll be interested to see what you think of it Shane. I have a feeling it's just another way to spend money though.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:19 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I've been looking into this too, neat little tool. I'll contact them on Monday and find out more

Steve Wang
Old 01-31-2004, 12:01 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

There is a forum already at the hobby talk board. I think the guy who runs it, Hank Hagquist, had a lot to to with gettting them into the r/c car market, coming from planes. To those who say that it is a waste of money, imagine the gearing help you would get. That alone should be worth it. Not to mention it should help you find your best motor on the track, vs. a $450 dyno. And the g force sensors and servo postition recorders should help identify a more efficient setup for stock motor racing. Just think, you can know how fast your car gets thru every corner. Cornerspeed baby.....

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 03:21 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I HAVE one... Yes I'm the one who has all the toys... It's an awesome unit... I used it once at the track and it caused a big stir... But It told me what speeds/RPM/temp I was doing and where... If you log the servo's there's a lot of wires... I put velcro on it and made a bracket for the RPM sensor that comes off real easy so I can just switch it in and out... It'll log almost everything and graph it for you... You can even print the graphs...
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote