Wiki Posts
Search

DB12R INFO

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default DB12R INFO

hey guys new to this site but long time modeler and now getting into cars, like 1/12.....the owner of a BMI db12R and have had the car out a couple times to see how it acts. been practicing with cones to get some skills... straight away speeds are almost outta control and Im not even at full throttle! anyway gunning it on a straightaway, the car wants to weave off course ,,,, question is what causes the car to do this, is it a torque problem? or is that a normal thing with cars

I havent studied the mechanix of the car or tires yet so am just running blind trying to figure things out, would appreciate any info re this car
Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drive2survive
hey guys new to this site but long time modeler and now getting into cars, like 1/12.....the owner of a BMI db12R and have had the car out a couple times to see how it acts. been practicing with cones to get some skills... straight away speeds are almost outta control and Im not even at full throttle! anyway gunning it on a straightaway, the car wants to weave off course ,,,, question is what causes the car to do this, is it a torque problem? or is that a normal thing with cars

I havent studied the mechanix of the car or tires yet so am just running blind trying to figure things out, would appreciate any info re this car
It sounds like the rear axle is not shimmed correctly. It needs to be centered perfectly. Next, you need to make sure that the surface is clean and not dusty
Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

What Jason is refering to is known as torque steer and as he said happens if the axle is not centered. Measure from the small hole in the bottom pod plate to the outside of the tire on each side, add shims untill both sides are equall and the total width does'nt exceed 172mm; calipers are the easiest way to do this. It can also come from a few other things like improper diff adjustment, and tires that are different sizes side to side.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Da now I get ya... thanx

Last edited by drive2survive; 07-17-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Champion

Are you driving it on a race track or some parking lot or street somewhere. The traction levels are much different and much of the advice you see on this forum is geared for people running on a track that has at least some preparation. If your not running on a track you may need some softer rear tires or traction compound to get more grip out of the rear tires.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ive been running on an asphalt parking lot that has been blown off but still thiers tiny pebbles, and the car manages to find every one! like I said, just trying to get enuff skill so I can show up at the local track w/o looking too stupid LOL so what color are the softer tires? lots to learn keep the info comin, and thanx
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

drive2survive--- Please don't sell your local race track short. The only true way you are going to obtain "Skills" is actually get on a controlled racing surface and "setup" your car to the track. Some of best advice I have ever gotten was when I first started racing. There are more than enough guys that are willing to help you. And I'm willing to bet you they will be excited to see you succeed. Hope I have helped!

Also look at the rear of the car. On the bottom plate you will see a small hole in the graphite. That should be the center of the car. Now measure from that hole to the outside of your tire on one side. And then do the opposite side. You may need to add "shims" to one side or the other to get what the other guys are talking about (torque steer)out of the car.

PM me if you need anything else.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SwampDog32
drive2survive--- Please don't sell your local race track short. The only true way you are going to obtain "Skills" is actually get on a controlled racing surface and "setup" your car to the track. Some of best advice I have ever gotten was when I first started racing. There are more than enough guys that are willing to help you. And I'm willing to bet you they will be excited to see you succeed. Hope I have helped!

Also look at the rear of the car. On the bottom plate you will see a small hole in the graphite. That should be the center of the car. Now measure from that hole to the outside of your tire on one side. And then do the opposite side. You may need to add "shims" to one side or the other to get what the other guys are talking about (torque steer)out of the car.

PM me if you need anything else.
....that spacing thing worked out good,and yes thier even, just took awhile for the light to come on LOL Ha, lots to learn

Last edited by drive2survive; 07-17-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Glad I could help. The only way to gain knowledge is ask. Good luck.