R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #12121
Tech Regular
 
Jason Baliban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 314
Default

Should i get the 2402 cvd's for front and rear? Do i need to use different bearings in the hubs with them?

Thanks

jB
__________________
High Sundry Productions

B5M | MBX-7Re | T5M | TC3 | RC10 "Graphite"
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #12122
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
Should i get the 2402 cvd's for front and rear? Do i need to use different bearings in the hubs with them?

Thanks

jB
ASC2402 is listed as an NTC3 part, so probably the wrong length. The TC4 parts will fit #ASC3886 axles with #3888 or 31034 bones. MIP used to make steel ones, but apparently are discontinued.
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #12123
Tech Master
 
beemerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,602
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
Should i get the 2402 cvd's for front and rear? Do i need to use different bearings in the hubs with them?

Thanks

jB
The critical dimensions of these axles are exactly the same as the electric TC3 parts and they will work fine using only stock parts. The only difference is the threaded portion of the axle is slightly longer, which would allow you to use a thicker hex or spacers to widen your car a little if you want.

However, I haven't noticed any performance advantage to using them. They weigh more than the plastic or aluminum. My personal preference is to use the stock plastic axles. Not just to reduce weight but when plastic bends, it also bends back. Aluminum wears faster and when both steel and aluminum bend, they stay bent causing a lot of extra vibration if you don't replace them. I only race 21.5 and 25.5 classes though. So unless you need the extra durability of steel or a wider axle, these probably aren't worth the extra cost.
__________________
USVTA Member #155
Associated TC3 Faithful
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #12124
Tech Regular
 
Jason Baliban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
The critical dimensions of these axles are exactly the same as the electric TC3 parts and they will work fine using only stock parts. The only difference is the threaded portion of the axle is slightly longer, which would allow you to use a thicker hex or spacers to widen your car a little if you want.

However, I haven't noticed any performance advantage to using them. They weigh more than the plastic or aluminum. My personal preference is to use the stock plastic axles. Not just to reduce weight but when plastic bends, it also bends back. Aluminum wears faster and when both steel and aluminum bend, they stay bent causing a lot of extra vibration if you don't replace them. I only race 21.5 and 25.5 classes though. So unless you need the extra durability of steel or a wider axle, these probably aren't worth the extra cost.
Great info! Thank you. I am not going to run any classes, really just getting it running again for parking lots. I am trying to choose a motor. I want something reasonably fast for fun, but dont want to tear it apart....it has the composite drive shaft and plastic cups. Do you think 13.5 is too much or should i step it down to 17.5?

jB
__________________
High Sundry Productions

B5M | MBX-7Re | T5M | TC3 | RC10 "Graphite"
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:17 PM   #12125
Tech Master
 
beemerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,602
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban View Post
Great info! Thank you. I am not going to run any classes, really just getting it running again for parking lots. I am trying to choose a motor. I want something reasonably fast for fun, but dont want to tear it apart....it has the composite drive shaft and plastic cups. Do you think 13.5 is too much or should i step it down to 17.5?

jB
You should be fine with a 13.5. Just don't hit stuff. Of course the plastic differentials wear out faster even from normal use. It will really depend on how hard you run it.
__________________
USVTA Member #155
Associated TC3 Faithful
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:38 AM   #12126
Tech Regular
 
Jason Baliban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
Just don't hit stuff.


LOL

Thanks!

jB
__________________
High Sundry Productions

B5M | MBX-7Re | T5M | TC3 | RC10 "Graphite"
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #12127
Tech Apprentice
 
duhjun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 62
Default First time Associated TC3 owner :D

Greetings...to anyone who might happen upon this vintage thread. Haha! I was recently inspired by a couple of distant buddies to get a TC3 or TC4, and found this TC3 in a local Craigslist posting. I was able to trade my old Traxxas MJ Son-uva Digger for it, which was good, because I wasn't interested in it any longer, and the seller was looking for a monster truck for his nephew to play with. Mutually beneficial trade!

The previous owner never upgraded this, or ran it on it LiPo, and claims he never took it out in the rain. Regardless, it seems to be in good shape, for its age. One of my pals, who prefers nitro, sent me a free Team Associated SC700 brushless esc + Reedy 3300KV bl motor, back last summer, which was another reason I wanted a touring car, so I'd have something to put it in. I've got a TQi receiver coming in this evening, so I can get it on 2.4 GHz. In the coming months, it'll get a full body/wheel/tire makeover.







__________________
♠ John D.
♠ Alias: rcdabbler
♠ Western Washingtonian
---------------------------------------------------------------
duhjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM   #12128
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

Did you take the wing off on purpose to slide the rear around when driving? Otherwise, you probably want the wing. It makes a bigger difference than you think.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #12129
Tech Master
 
IndyHobbies.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 1,919
Default

He's right about the wing. Does matter often.

Are you planning to race it at a local track or just zoom?

TC3's are really good for the US Vintage Trans Am class: URL="http://www.usvintagetransam.com/index.html"]http://www.usvintagetransam.com/index.html[/URL]

This is my VTA set up if you are interested.

Attached Thumbnails
TC3 Forum-img_9022r.jpg  
__________________
Airbrushing Projects: www.indyhobbies.com/Airbrushing.html
"If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough." – Parnelli Jones
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #12130
Tech Apprentice
 
duhjun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
Did you take the wing off on purpose to slide the rear around when driving? Otherwise, you probably want the wing. It makes a bigger difference than you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
He's right about the wing. Does matter often.

Are you planning to race it at a local track or just zoom?
I just got it the other night, from a Craigslist sale. I'm not even going to use that stock body, but am going to give it a makeover, as I stated. I'm not interested in going to a track, because the closest one is not worth the drive. I'll just run it on local streets and parking lots.
__________________
♠ John D.
♠ Alias: rcdabbler
♠ Western Washingtonian
---------------------------------------------------------------
duhjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #12131
Tech Master
 
IndyHobbies.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brownsburg, Indiana
Posts: 1,919
Default

Good deal. Plenty of fun that way too! Tower Hobbies still sells a lot of TC3 parts. And, you can find them on ebay too.
__________________
Airbrushing Projects: www.indyhobbies.com/Airbrushing.html
"If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough." – Parnelli Jones
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM   #12132
Tech Apprentice
 
duhjun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com View Post
Good deal. Plenty of fun that way too! Tower Hobbies still sells a lot of TC3 parts. And, you can find them on ebay too.
Definitely!
duhjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:23 AM   #12133
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,083
Default

Ok I've started running my TC3 again and I've been annoyed by the extant setup sheet which had plenty of useless info IMHO and missed plenty of info as well. And the blanks for writing were super tiny. So I modified it a little bit, by basically moving stuff around in Paint. I added the TC4 side braces because that's what I use. It is far from perfect but I figured it might be of use to someone here.
Attached Thumbnails
TC3 Forum-tc3-sheet-v2.0.jpg  
__________________
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 PM   #12134
Tech Master
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 1,295
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
Ok I've started running my TC3 again and I've been annoyed by the extant setup sheet which had plenty of useless info IMHO and missed plenty of info as well. And the blanks for writing were super tiny. So I modified it a little bit, by basically moving stuff around in Paint. I added the TC4 side braces because that's what I use. It is far from perfect but I figured it might be of use to someone here.
I'm in a similar boat, just in the process of replacing the NiCD/Brushed config with something a bit more modern. The tweaks you've made look good, although I didn't see an option to specify TC4 shock towers. Not that I have them, but I might do so eventually
gigaplex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #12135
Tech Addict
 
1spunspur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Carquinez striaghts
Posts: 553
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

duhjun; great looking car & excellent deal. I wouldn't mind finding one like that myself.
__________________
P./
1spunspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the forum mig rod Electric Off-Road 1 01-05-2008 04:23 PM
hi i need help and im new to the forum racer4 Rookie Zone 4 01-21-2007 01:37 PM
Why is this forum listed under the On Road Forum? sport10 Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 0 01-11-2007 07:06 AM
Forum Changes... futureal Wisconsin & Illinois Racing 3 10-28-2002 08:26 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:45 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net