Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree65Likes

TC3 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Tech Regular

Should i get the 2402 cvd's for front and rear? Do i need to use different bearings in the hubs with them?

Thanks

jB
Old 07-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Baliban
Should i get the 2402 cvd's for front and rear? Do i need to use different bearings in the hubs with them?

Thanks

jB
ASC2402 is listed as an NTC3 part, so probably the wrong length. The TC4 parts will fit #ASC3886 axles with #3888 or 31034 bones. MIP used to make steel ones, but apparently are discontinued.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Thanks

jB
The critical dimensions of these axles are exactly the same as the electric TC3 parts and they will work fine using only stock parts. The only difference is the threaded portion of the axle is slightly longer, which would allow you to use a thicker hex or spacers to widen your car a little if you want.

However, I haven't noticed any performance advantage to using them. They weigh more than the plastic or aluminum. My personal preference is to use the stock plastic axles. Not just to reduce weight but when plastic bends, it also bends back. Aluminum wears faster and when both steel and aluminum bend, they stay bent causing a lot of extra vibration if you don't replace them. I only race 21.5 and 25.5 classes though. So unless you need the extra durability of steel or a wider axle, these probably aren't worth the extra cost.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by beemerfan
The critical dimensions of these axles are exactly the same as the electric TC3 parts and they will work fine using only stock parts. The only difference is the threaded portion of the axle is slightly longer, which would allow you to use a thicker hex or spacers to widen your car a little if you want.

However, I haven't noticed any performance advantage to using them. They weigh more than the plastic or aluminum. My personal preference is to use the stock plastic axles. Not just to reduce weight but when plastic bends, it also bends back. Aluminum wears faster and when both steel and aluminum bend, they stay bent causing a lot of extra vibration if you don't replace them. I only race 21.5 and 25.5 classes though. So unless you need the extra durability of steel or a wider axle, these probably aren't worth the extra cost.
Great info! Thank you. I am not going to run any classes, really just getting it running again for parking lots. I am trying to choose a motor. I want something reasonably fast for fun, but dont want to tear it apart....it has the composite drive shaft and plastic cups. Do you think 13.5 is too much or should i step it down to 17.5?

jB
Old 07-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Great info! Thank you. I am not going to run any classes, really just getting it running again for parking lots. I am trying to choose a motor. I want something reasonably fast for fun, but dont want to tear it apart....it has the composite drive shaft and plastic cups. Do you think 13.5 is too much or should i step it down to 17.5?

jB
You should be fine with a 13.5. Just don't hit stuff. Of course the plastic differentials wear out faster even from normal use. It will really depend on how hard you run it.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by beemerfan
Just don't hit stuff.

LOL

Thanks!

jB
Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default First time Associated TC3 owner :D

Greetings...to anyone who might happen upon this vintage thread. Haha! I was recently inspired by a couple of distant buddies to get a TC3 or TC4, and found this TC3 in a local Craigslist posting. I was able to trade my old Traxxas MJ Son-uva Digger for it, which was good, because I wasn't interested in it any longer, and the seller was looking for a monster truck for his nephew to play with. Mutually beneficial trade!

The previous owner never upgraded this, or ran it on it LiPo, and claims he never took it out in the rain. Regardless, it seems to be in good shape, for its age. One of my pals, who prefers nitro, sent me a free Team Associated SC700 brushless esc + Reedy 3300KV bl motor, back last summer, which was another reason I wanted a touring car, so I'd have something to put it in. I've got a TQi receiver coming in this evening, so I can get it on 2.4 GHz. In the coming months, it'll get a full body/wheel/tire makeover.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Did you take the wing off on purpose to slide the rear around when driving? Otherwise, you probably want the wing. It makes a bigger difference than you think.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

He's right about the wing. Does matter often.

Are you planning to race it at a local track or just zoom?

TC3's are really good for the US Vintage Trans Am class: URL="http://www.usvintagetransam.com/index.html"]http://www.usvintagetransam.com/index.html[/URL]

This is my VTA set up if you are interested.

Attached Thumbnails TC3 Forum-img_9022r.jpg  
Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
Did you take the wing off on purpose to slide the rear around when driving? Otherwise, you probably want the wing. It makes a bigger difference than you think.
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
He's right about the wing. Does matter often.

Are you planning to race it at a local track or just zoom?
I just got it the other night, from a Craigslist sale. I'm not even going to use that stock body, but am going to give it a makeover, as I stated. I'm not interested in going to a track, because the closest one is not worth the drive. I'll just run it on local streets and parking lots.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Good deal. Plenty of fun that way too! Tower Hobbies still sells a lot of TC3 parts. And, you can find them on ebay too.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Good deal. Plenty of fun that way too! Tower Hobbies still sells a lot of TC3 parts. And, you can find them on ebay too.
Definitely!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Ok I've started running my TC3 again and I've been annoyed by the extant setup sheet which had plenty of useless info IMHO and missed plenty of info as well. And the blanks for writing were super tiny. So I modified it a little bit, by basically moving stuff around in Paint. I added the TC4 side braces because that's what I use. It is far from perfect but I figured it might be of use to someone here.
Attached Thumbnails TC3 Forum-tc3-sheet-v2.0.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heretic
Ok I've started running my TC3 again and I've been annoyed by the extant setup sheet which had plenty of useless info IMHO and missed plenty of info as well. And the blanks for writing were super tiny. So I modified it a little bit, by basically moving stuff around in Paint. I added the TC4 side braces because that's what I use. It is far from perfect but I figured it might be of use to someone here.
I'm in a similar boat, just in the process of replacing the NiCD/Brushed config with something a bit more modern. The tweaks you've made look good, although I didn't see an option to specify TC4 shock towers. Not that I have them, but I might do so eventually
Old 02-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

duhjun; great looking car & excellent deal. I wouldn't mind finding one like that myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.