Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Roll Centre and Camber Gain Calculator

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BobW
It's taken a little more than a year but it's finally finished. RC Crew Chief will be a reality in a couple weeks. I am just doing some Beta testing and then the full version will be ready. For the time being you can view some slide shows on my "RC Crew Chief 2012" Facebook Page that explain some of the features.

There is also a Demo program available for download here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d3njj3qlqdo54xx
"The procedure entry point DecodePointer could not be located in KERNEL32.dll".

What is the minimum OS needed?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've installed it on XP SP3, Vista and Windows 7 with no issues so it should work. Try to google the error you posted and see what you find.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good news, I'll try it when I'm back on a windows machine.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Conrad
Good news, I'll try it when I'm back on a windows machine.
When the program installs it checks to see if you have some Microsoft apps like .net and .SQLCE installed on your machine. If you don't then it will install them for you if you give it permission. Maybe you didn't let it install these. If you don't the program will not run. Try to uninstall the program from add/remove programs and the reinstall it.

What version of windows are you running?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Bob,
It looks excellent, fantastic job!

I have a few comments/questions/possible additions if you don't mind.

1. On the suspension calculator, can you display Ride Frequency in addition to or instead of Ride Rate? These are more commonly used in industry and motorsport to qualify proper ride stiffness overall as well as front to back relative stiffness.

2. I love that you've done various cornering situations with tire loads - this is great. How is this taking to account tire steering angle and the resulting slip angle difference relative to the rear? I feel it is not really accurate to say Oversteer or Understeer unless you have added this piece. Lateral force is much, much more slip angle sensitive than it is load sensitive. What I think could be done is to estimate tire compliance for a general tire and use a defined corner radius. You could then develop an estimated slip angle/tire load plot for the front and for the rear. I think you would have to assume for this exercise that increasing slip angle always increases lateral grip given that you do not know what the peak or dropoff rate is. From there you can calculate estimated tire lateral grip. The braking and acceleration with cornering will be tricky to estimate loads. It's not perfect and would definitely have some amount of error, but would get you much closer to being able to quantify Over and Understeer.

Brian
Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Bob,
It looks excellent, fantastic job!

I have a few comments/questions/possible additions if you don't mind.

1. On the suspension calculator, can you display Ride Frequency in addition to or instead of Ride Rate? These are more commonly used in industry and motorsport to qualify proper ride stiffness overall as well as front to back relative stiffness.

2. I love that you've done various cornering situations with tire loads - this is great. How is this taking to account tire steering angle and the resulting slip angle difference relative to the rear? I feel it is not really accurate to say Oversteer or Understeer unless you have added this piece. Lateral force is much, much more slip angle sensitive than it is load sensitive. What I think could be done is to estimate tire compliance for a general tire and use a defined corner radius. You could then develop an estimated slip angle/tire load plot for the front and for the rear. I think you would have to assume for this exercise that increasing slip angle always increases lateral grip given that you do not know what the peak or dropoff rate is. From there you can calculate estimated tire lateral grip. The braking and acceleration with cornering will be tricky to estimate loads. It's not perfect and would definitely have some amount of error, but would get you much closer to being able to quantify Over and Understeer.

Brian
Thanks Brian, It's taken a long time and about 20,000 lines of code to get where it is now. Thanks for your suggestions:

1. I can certainly add the ride frequency. Shouldn't be a problem. The front/rear ride rate is actually the ride stiffness. This is the terminology used in the text book I based the program on. Is that what you mean?

2. The whole tire issue is a problem to simulate without having good tire data to base the tire model on. Since there is no data on Vertical/Lateral load versus slip angle for RC tires I decided to stay away from this for now and just look at weight transfer. In a furture version I may try to implement the "Majic Tire Formulae" to get a better representation. Right now the push loose tendency is based on "wedge" alone. It is intended to be an indicator to help access the direction the changes you make on the handling page are taking you.

I actually tried some skid pad testing at our track which was interesting but difficult to draw any conclusions about since the skid pad went on and off the track racing line so the grip level changed drastically. I may revisit this to try and get the 'g' limit for a tire so at least you have one data point to base a tire model on. Measuring slip angles is a whole other problem.

Keep the comments coming.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

When the program installs it checks to see if you have some Microsoft apps like .net and .SQLCE installed on your machine. If you don't then it will install them for you if you give it permission. Maybe you didn't let it install these. If you don't the program will not run. Try to uninstall the program from add/remove programs and the reinstall it.

What version of windows are you running?
Well at the time of writing I was on Opensuse Linux, now I'm on Fedora. When I get back to the Windows XP partition I'll be giving it a try, looking forward to see the advancements from the previous program which was ace
Old 12-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This looks awesome, just from playing with it for 10 minutes there's a lot stuff i can learn and hopefully improve my setup.

A few questions
1. I know you've spent a tremendous amount of time writing the code for this app, and you may have this planned, help tips for fields or information calculated.

2. When you maximize a window with-in side the app it can not be closed or or un-maximized.

I'll post more when i start using the app.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
This looks awesome, just from playing with it for 10 minutes there's a lot stuff i can learn and hopefully improve my setup.

A few questions
1. I know you've spent a tremendous amount of time writing the code for this app, and you may have this planned, help tips for fields or information calculated.

2. When you maximize a window with-in side the app it can not be closed or or un-maximized.

I'll post more when i start using the app.
The full version will have a companion users manual. I'm working on it now.

The maximize/minimize issue is just with the Demo version as some of the menus have been disable. It works fine in the full version
Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

thanks man...manage to install at one shot..great animation,cool graffic n a lot can learn...

but where did it go?after playing with,i close the window but when i try to reopen,i cant find it anymore...'u cant start app from this location because it is already install in a different location'...

Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kakaroctt
thanks man...manage to install at one shot..great animation,cool graffic n a lot can learn...

but where did it go?after playing with,i close the window but when i try to reopen,i cant find it anymore...'u cant start app from this location because it is already install in a different location'...

Sounds like you are trying to re-install it. The install program doesn't place a shortcut icon on your desktop. Click on >Start and then >all programs and look for RCCrewChiefDemo.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

Just uploaded another Slide Show to the "RC Crew Chief 2012" facebook page. This one, Part 3, focuses on the features of the "Motor Manager". The demo version doesn't allow all the features to be explored, particularly the Dyno Analysis and Build Model features.

There are three slide shows on facebook. If you haven't already looked at them I suggest you do as it may answer some questions.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sounds like you are trying to re-install it. The install program doesn't place a shortcut icon on your desktop. Click on >Start and then >all programs and look for RCCrewChiefDemo.
WORKS!!

Silly me..

thanks dude..dont want to lost this usefull program...

facebook link?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hmmm. Not able to install. I get

"The application requires that assembly System.Data.SqlServerCe Version 3.5.1.0 be installed in teh GlabalAssembly Cache (GAC) first.

I'm not a pc guy by any means..
Old 12-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Lessen
Hmmm. Not able to install. I get

"The application requires that assembly System.Data.SqlServerCe Version 3.5.1.0 be installed in teh GlabalAssembly Cache (GAC) first.

I'm not a pc guy by any means..
The installer will install that assembly for you. I believe it asks you first if it is OK to install. If you don't allow it to install the program will not work. These assemblies are from Microsoft so they are safe.

It's also possible your AntiVirus program or firewall may be blocking access. If you use Norton you may have to temporarily disable it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.