Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Capricorn

Jilles,

I just read the news that you signed with Capricorn. Thanks for all your help with the 416 and 417 setup. Best of luck with Capricorn and in your future endeavours.

Ian.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zarkon
Jilles,

I just read the news that you signed with Capricorn. Thanks for all your help with the 416 and 417 setup. Best of luck with Capricorn and in your future endeavours.

Ian.
Does this mean no more advice from Senior Jilles?...;(
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zarkon
Jilles,

Ian.
I think that's only for his nitro racing, don't think it will affect his EP.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

To my knowledge - capricorn are NITRO only.

I would say he is still with Tamiya for electric.....just a guess!

Cheers

Darryn
Old 01-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Of course a nitro car company will sign up Jilles at this point in time. He has qualified extremely well in the past at Nitro World titles (e TQ'd in 2008).

The 2012 Nitro Worlds are being held at R/C Addict in Thailand ....this is currently Jilles home track as he lives in Thailand.

Common sense really

It has nothing to do with his Tamiya contract
Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Regular

Will Jilles be participating in this weekends Snowbirds?

If so, we should be looking out for setups...
Old 01-28-2012, 05:31 PM
JGH
Tech Adept

Hello guys,

Just a quick reply about my deal with Capricorn.
Capricorn deal is exclusive for Nitro so electric is "ofcourse" Tamiya!!!

Will reply previous post later as I'm heading the track for the final day of the Nitro Pre Worlds this week!

Best regards,
Jilles
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Never mind

Last edited by Benzaah; 02-04-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Anyone here traveling to Thailand Next week for TITC 2012??

or is there anyone already there doing testing??

can anyone post the setup for that track? as i be arriving late and will prefer to have more track time then to spend the time finding a base setup.

Jilles can u help with that??

thank you.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:59 AM
JGH
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by caltek1
Thanks Jilles for the pictures and information on your FF03. Do you use the stiffer carbon impregnated chassis on your FF03?

I look forward to your comments regarding the new control tyres and any other recommended setup change to the FWD.

Regards,

Calvin.
I use the stiffer carbon chassis for the FF, is faster then the standard one.
I haven't done much testing with the FF yet for the TITC as I wait for the Integra Body as this is the best body to use. The Civic is very loose in the sweepers.

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Jilles, Thanks for taking the time to answer all the racers questions. Very insightful even though i don't run a blue car. I have a couple of questions.

Do you use Sanwa servos in your cars? I know you use the Exzes radio. Wanting to know your thoughts on the latest hi speed servos. Do you see them as being a necessity?

Another query regarding the latest Orion motors. I have bought the R10 pro/ 17.5 pro stock combo. What sort of temps should i be looking for after my 6 minute run? I have heard that this motor can handle a fair bit of heat which is good for the Hot conditions we have here in Australia.

Best regards Benzaah
I use Sanwa servo in all my cars. At the moment I use the SRG-BLS servo in both electric and nitro cars and are working great. I think the new servos have more torque and therefor this gives more steering in the car.
I haven't run much 17.5T but when I tested with 13.5T you can go up to 90 degrees and even more then 100 degree will not hurt the Orion motor too much.

Originally Posted by columbia-mk2
Hello Jilles,

First time posting in this forum; This year our club is going to hold stock class races with 10.5 motor.

I have only raced modified class and my question is, if there is something special to do to the setup, or if the mod setup will fit 100% aswell for stock.

Thanks in advance, and happy New Year!!
I think 10.5T stock or Modified isn't too much difference. I only thinking about a slightly harder spring for stock racing then for Modified.

Originally Posted by PDR
I may have missed it, but is there a baseline setup for the 417X on outdoor asphalt?

Cheers,
Phil.
On Petit RC you find many set-ups of some of the TRF team drivers. The set-up from the European Championship 2011 from Marc Rheinard was really good and this was already the 417X chassis.

Originally Posted by Redko
hi Jilles,

Was wandering if you tried your 417X on Rc Addict with the TITC controlled tires?

do you have the set up that you are using for that track?

as i will only arrive on wed. Hope to have the base setup before i reach there in order to get more track time instead of using the limited time to find the setup.

Thank You.
This week I have been testing a lot at the Addict track. So far I found some good set-ups but not much special from the basic set-up. When you arrive at the track just stop by and I will help you with the set-up.

Originally Posted by Koldoi77
Hello Jilles

Is my firts time here to, i am collegue of Columbia and what is de perfet gearing for just stock hobbywing 45A with 10,5T?this year we have race of Spain championship in our circuit, we are expecting to use around 4,5 or 5 gear ratio, we test with diferent spur and pinion, 111-42, 104-39 ... But what is the best relation for 417 big spur whith big pinion or small spurs and small pinions???afect this to the punch or no? Our circuit straigth distance is around 60 meters and the order part of circuit is whith a Lot of curves and is quite low, outdoor and asphalt with medium low traction.

Thanks for your request and regards from Spain
I prefer to use a smaller spurgear and smaller pinion otherwise the motor will be too much forward in the car. For the final ratio I think 10.5T with zero boost should be between 4.3 - 4.8.

Originally Posted by gcooper
Hi Jilles,

Do you have a good FF03 setup for med/high traction carpet using either Tamiya type A or C tires?

Also what body or bodies do you suggest for that car?

Thanks in advance.

Coop
I never really tried the car on carpet and also never with the tamiya tyre.
For the body a really like the Civic when the track has good grip as small hairpins, the Integra is more suitable at bigger track and with faster corners.

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
hi jilles, just a question on your ff03 setup...

for the spacers under the suspension blocks, you mentioned 3mm in front and 4mm in the rear. i noticed that the rear suspension blocks are installed "upside down" (based on the photo). if i installed them rightside up or as indicated in the manual, i would be using a 1mm spacer instead?

For the front blocks, are they installed upside down as well? 3mm (upsidedown) or no spacer (right side up)? or is the front roll center really higher than the front?

Thanks!
Honestly I don't know why I did that but you are right. It should not matter either 4mm or flip it and use 1mm.

Originally Posted by Wilson Picaldy
Hi Jilles,

Do you know how much timing is on the vortex VST pro motor at default end bell position? and how much added timing on every notch?
and what FDR to use for boosted 11.5t? I'm running on medium size track.

Thanks
The Vortex is usually set at 0 degree timing but it's better to check before use. I'm not sure how much timing is 1 line but I believe around 3 degree. I normally use 2 line of timing. Final ratio depends on what speed control you drive and what settings. My experience with the Orion R10 speedo I run 6.0 ration with 11.5T motor with boost around 40 degrees.

Originally Posted by ATLASCOPCO
Hi Guys,
I have just got a 417 and i am looking for a link to some setups for carpet with rubber tyres
Many thanks
You find many set-up at Petit RC website.

Originally Posted by Redko
Hi Guys,

Anyone here traveling to Thailand Next week for TITC 2012??

or is there anyone already there doing testing??

can anyone post the setup for that track? as i be arriving late and will prefer to have more track time then to spend the time finding a base setup.

Jilles can u help with that??

thank you.
I'm busy testing now, I do have a fast car now for TC but not yet for FF.
Just stop by in the pits and I will help you with setting up your car(s).

Jilles
Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Hi Jilles,

Thank You for the help.

Ok i will swing by when i arrive there..

Thanks !
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Jilles,

I'm still driving the 416WE, with geardiff. Would your 2010 TITC setup be a good start (e.g. 700 oil, D/B front block, 0.5mm/1mm under block spacer front/ 1mm under block spacer rear)? I would be arriving on Thursday for the 2012 TITC and have no time to setup for Modified class. Thanks in advance.

Joel
Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hi Jilles,

It was good to meet you at TITC, and congratulations on your good result, maybe if they had used the same tyre for finals you could have got him! Thanks for your help with the car, next year I'll bring a tamiya to start with instead of building it half way through

For those that don't know, Jilles came 2nd to Meen after qualifying P2, and he won the second final. In the 3rd main it looked like his car might have been a little better but had a half spin coming onto the straight which let Meen get away. Hara was 3rd, Marc 4th.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Jilles,

My daughter says many thanks for setting up her car.

Attached Thumbnails "Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors-titc-2012-jilles-porsha-talk.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up pro r10 setup for 17.5

I have a t3 2012 do u have a basic setup for orion r10 pro for 17.5 boosted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.