Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed Motor Target FDR for Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default Brushed Motor Target FDR for Touring Car

I know, your probably asking why but this is a budget build...anyways, does anybody have a chart or tips on where to start in terms of gearing for brushed motors? Im looking specifically for FDR targets I should be aiming for:

-19t brushed
-14t brushed
-9t brushed

The track is 100'x50' assphalt
Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
I know, your probably asking why but this is a budget build...anyways, does anybody have a chart or tips on where to start in terms of gearing for brushed motors? Im looking specifically for FDR targets I should be aiming for:

-19t brushed
-14t brushed
-9t brushed

All these depend on motor make and model. For a start though, with 19T Komodo Pro start at 29 rollout dropping one tooth per turn as a starting point for the mod motors. Instead of buying one pinion make sure to get a set. You won't regret it. Lots of flexibility until you go brushless then most of the sizes will be obsolete.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

well rollout is much different than FDR. Im trying to get an idea of a good FDR to start at, i only want to buy 1 pinion gear because im brushless in my other cars, just cannot afford a brushless ESC right now.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

ughhh...
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

-19t brushed
-14t brushed
-9t brushed

Conservative, but reasonable, and assuming 6 minute sedan races, 1500g, 80 deg. temp, and one-cut comms for two quals and a main:

19t, red springs, 767 brushes: 8 FDR
14t, same, same: 9 FDR
9t, same, same: 10 FDR

You can go to purple springs and F brushes for a little more grunt, and a little more heat, but those should ballpark it for you. As an intermediate step try a purple spring on the positive side only. I don't think you'll be pushing things too hard in those ranges. The move to 6 minute races definitely changes things. Make sure your drivetrain is freed up. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

-19t brushed
-14t brushed
-9t brushed

PM me your address I'll send you a hand full of pinions. what car and what spur. going out of town so won't be till friday or next monday