Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HB Cyclone TC worthy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whats up guys,i'm a noob here but would like to respond and say that all cars mentioned here a great if set up properely.Myself,i run a cyclone s tub version,the only thing i've added are the hpi competition shocks running 55wt front with hpi pink spring and 50wt in the back with hpi green springs,reedy lipo and mamba brushless, hpi x-pattern pro-compound tires but sorex's comming soon.i race here at a local hobbytown in the sportsman class thats fielded with tc5's and a few cyclone tc's and world edition cyclones,ialways finish in the top 3,mostly 1st and 2nd.Its a small track,so much that i have my throttle turned down to 60%,but the track is smooth and blown then sprayed with soda so traction is great.I've got this car perfectly balanced left to right and have all my suspension adj and droop settings just right for the track i run on and it handles fantastic.I have no experience with the other top cars but i did run a hpi sprint 2 last season and usually finished in the middle of the pack,coming from that car was night and differences in ease of handling and control though and my results prove it.Only complaint i have just noticed with the cyclone s tub version is that when i crank the steering left or right and hold the throttle down it vibrates a bit and i hoping a new set of mip cvd's wce version will eliminate the problem.With all this said,it is a small track i run on,I have no experince racing on larger circuts.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Adept

the carbon and aluminum is terrible from assc since the thunder tiger merge.
i had a tc5 for just over a year and had tweak problems on the regular.
i bent all the bulkheads from a minor crash and trashed the flatness of the chassis. i promptly put together my parts car and sold it.

i and my many of my race buddies believe the stuff that the pro drivers use made in usa parts in their race rides thus the top performance. the can be fast no doubt but not consistently with the parts quality. do note that i never broke an A arm but plenty of C hubs

when i went to the us indoor champs i was trying to get the tc5 up to speed. worked on it for weeks, then right before the race i swaped my stuff to a 4 year old cyclone and with no changes from a outdoor rubber set up i was faster and easier to drive. too bad i had marshal problems (they liked to step either in front of or on the car) but the car was A main material.

when i get a new job i am getting a new touring car and it will be a either a cyclone, jrxs-r, or a mi3. the cyclone would be tops on the list if it was a little easier to get parts for it in my area.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Do what I did, buy both a TC5, and a Cyclone. I started with an old original edition Cyclone, and set it up for VTA. After getting a TC5R I decided to try them both in the same class. The TC5 was better, so the cyclone went bye bye. However, since I had the need for a second touring car, and I wanted something for the upcoming HPI Challenge, I bought a new Cyclone TC. With a close to box stock setup, if feels great in 17.5. I'll see how in runs this weekend against some tough competition, but if it's as good as I think it will be I may have 2 Cyclone TC's soon. As far as parts go, one of my local Hobby shops carries a lot of D8 parts now, and Cyclone parts will be coming in soon. If a few guys are runnning any type of car locally, tracks would be silly to not carry parts for them.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Twiztid Rock
Do what I did, buy both a TC5, and a Cyclone. I started with an old original edition Cyclone, and set it up for VTA. After getting a TC5R I decided to try them both in the same class. The TC5 was better, so the cyclone went bye bye. However, since I had the need for a second touring car, and I wanted something for the upcoming HPI Challenge, I bought a new Cyclone TC. With a close to box stock setup, if feels great in 17.5. I'll see how in runs this weekend against some tough competition, but if it's as good as I think it will be I may have 2 Cyclone TC's soon. As far as parts go, one of my local Hobby shops carries a lot of D8 parts now, and Cyclone parts will be coming in soon. If a few guys are runnning any type of car locally, tracks would be silly to not carry parts for them.
You have any issues with you rear toe being off from left to right on your new cyclone?I have heard of this problem on this site.I hope it was just bad batch and hot bodies corrected it.The cyclone tc is a car i'm interested in also.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Initiate

aye before i input anything, cheers and thanks for all the quality replies. so twiztid, u bought tc5 and cyclone and to your conclusion tc5 is a better chassis to cyclone? i am aiming to invest on one chassis only, not gonna have a pool of budget to get 2 bro

that is why i am having problems now on which one to get. my local lhs in singapore promotes trf 416, cyclone tc, hpi pro4 and mainly any tamiya and hotbodies related racing chassis. i am in a huge dilemma on which one to consider. in conjunction also mainly races for the above brands i mentioned.

-aprila
Old 04-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Aprila, you've been PM'd
Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Aprila
that is why i am having problems now on which one to get. my local lhs in singapore promotes trf 416, cyclone tc, hpi pro4 and mainly any tamiya and hotbodies related racing chassis. i am in a huge dilemma on which one to consider. in conjunction also mainly races for the above brands i mentioned.

-aprila
Don't take this the wrong way, but because you are posting this thread, I am going to guess you are not a very experienced driver(I am not either. I just got back into rc a month or so ago after taking a 5 year break from it). With that being said, I don't think you will see a huge difference in either car. With that being said, get the cyclone.

I am for one am HUGE on LHS support. I hate having to buy things online, but when I can't find it locally, I have to do what I have to do. So if your LHS supports the cyclone, buy it and buy it from them.

From what I have heard from other people local to me is that the two most common cars are the tc5 and cyclone. I too am in the market for either car. I am leaning toward the tc5 more only because more of the LHS support the tc5 more. But I won't pass a good deal on the cyclone.

You can't go wrong with either car. GL and enjoy what ever you choose.

--pakk
Old 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

aye before i input anything, cheers and thanks for all the quality replies. so twiztid, u bought tc5 and cyclone and to your conclusion tc5 is a better chassis to cyclone? i am aiming to invest on one chassis only, not gonna have a pool of budget to get 2 bro

-aprila
You misread what twizted said. He thought the tc5 was better than the original cyclone. Not the cyclone TC. Then after getting a TC version he's saying he may just have to go buy another. It means he likes the tc!

If thats what you're local shop stocks. Then the Cyclone TC should be the obvious answer!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

my local lhs in singapore promotes trf 416, cyclone tc, hpi pro4 and mainly any tamiya and hotbodies related racing chassis.
how come its SO HARD? just by what you said above, you answered YOUR OWN question!!!!! now buy a tc and join the gang!

would you like a singapore rctech member hold your hand and go to the rc store?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC-DriftNewb
You misread what twizted said. He thought the tc5 was better than the original cyclone. Not the cyclone TC. Then after getting a TC version he's saying he may just have to go buy another. It means he likes the tc!

If thats what you're local shop stocks. Then the Cyclone TC should be the obvious answer!
This is correct. Origina Cyclone VS. TC5, TC5 wins BUT Cycolne TC vs. TC5, as far as out of the bix feel, so far Cyclone TC. I will really see tomorrow afternoon, but I have super high hopes for the Cyclone TC, and am in fact looking intro another Cyclone TC.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

-aprila
If your local shop is a big Hot Bodies supporter than I say go with that. Pro 4 is out of date, and I never drove a TRF (although I hear they are nice.) I will tell you this, the Cyclone TC was much easier to build than the TC5. I had trouble with the diff screws on the TC5, trouble putting the TC5 shocks together, and a few other little things were annoying. A little time, and effort and the TC5 was well built, but it was no where near as easy to build as the Cyclone TC.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Initiate

aye cheers. thanks so much fellow rc mates [= rock u made my day.

-aprila
Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hello, Does anyone know what shore rating the stock gumball tires are that come with the kit? Are they any good for racing?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

All I can say is WOW!!! Cyclone TC is the real deal my friends. I brought both car to the track today, and the Cyclone TC outhandled the TC5 by a long way. The Cyclone TC with not much tuning was absolutley fantastic. A little work here or there and it will be a top contender. The TC5 I have worked and worked and worked and can not get it the way I want it. After today it's clear that I need 2 Cyclone TC's. Now the results do show that my TC5 did better in the class I ran, but that's only because the TC5 was in Vintage, and my Cyclone was in the much more competative 17.5 class. All I have to say is locktite all the screws that are metal to metal in the Cyclone. It cost me 2 qualifiers, then a speedo issue cost me the 3rd. I still qualified 3rd in the B main with the Cyclone, and that is running over 4 minutes with only 2 wheel drive. The way we run here, top 2 finishers in the B bump to the A. After a minute of the B main, I was in bad shape. My body got hung up on my rear wheel, and I was over a lap down to second place. I ran the crap out of that Cyclone and with 10 seconds left I caught and passed second and bumped to the A. Then out of 10, I finished 6th, and mostly I was just trying to take care of the car. It needed more gear, but with limited practice I didn't have time to mess with it. Felt great, love it, want another. TC5 finished second in VTA, but that's a class I usually dominate, so even though I lost to a pro level driver I was disapointed in the TC5. Go get a Cyclone, fall in love with it, and drive it like you stole it and it's on fire!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Master

In case you want proof that I'm sold on the Cyclone, check my new thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...tc5r-sale.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.