Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Body color and motor temperatures

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Default Body color and motor temperatures

It's common knowladge that dark colors absorb heat from light rays, and light colors repel it. But I've never given it any thought to how much, or little it effects to motor temperature under the body. Has anyone ever tried doing this to see how much the temps vary from shell to sell with the same car? And is they a change, no matter how small?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
It's common knowladge that dark colors absorb heat from light rays, and light colors repel it. But I've never given it any thought to how much, or little it effects to motor temperature under the body. Has anyone ever tried doing this to see how much the temps vary from shell to sell with the same car? And is they a change, no matter how small?
i think the effective heat transfer from conduction and convection will be magnitudes above what heat energy is removed by radiation. that said, i don't believe you could hold enough of the variables constant to ever determine an answer here. for instance, the ability of humid air to pull heat away versus dry air is probably much more detectable than that which you speak of. especially if you are using a fan.

in short, i don't think it can be done reliably by anyone reading this message board.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seaball

in short, i don't think it can be done reliably by anyone reading this message board.
What on Earth would lead you to that conclusion??
Old 03-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

that said, i don't believe you could hold enough of the variables constant to ever determine an answer here.

+1

Worth even considering? nope, i wouldn't think so.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Shouldn't make a difference. Colors affect heat absorption from light rays, not from radiant heat. Since the motor emits radient heat, not light rays, the body color should have no effect on the temperature.

But all in all, there are way too many variables to effectively test this. I know I won't be losing any sleep over it.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Heh, wait til SystemTheory gets ahold of this thread

-rocky b
Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Pshaw. Back when I worked at JPL I was involved in a LOT of testing like this. I ran tests in tightly-controlled environments in thermal-vac chambers up to full-size spacecraft level. Send me about $500k and I can have the answer for you.

Either that, or you will never see or hear from me again.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Doesn't anyone gear for lap times anymore? On race day i want to put in the most laps, not come off as close as possible to some magic number on a temp gun.

To answer the original question here... I doubt body color would matter... while it will be a little warmer under a dark body than a light one with the car at rest, our cars have so much airflow under the bodies that it would make little or no difference over the course of a race. Once the car is moving, body color should be irrelevant.