Wiki Posts
Search

what kind of speed control to use

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Thumbs up what kind of speed control to use

Hi there this is my first post so if this comes out wronge please excuse me.
I have two speed controls that I have and was wondering what one would suit my racing better. I race 1/12 scale 4cell stock and I have been running a Keyence Zero Extreme and also have a Novak Atom both I have ran but the only problem I have with the Keyence is that it take so much movement on the throttle on the transmitter before the car with go forward, and with the Atom it is right there. What I would like to know is am I setting the Keyence up wrong as I have been to the web site and there is the same amount of info there. What also does all of the drive freq. and neutral freq. and brake freq. mean and what setting should they be at. Also if there is something better out there please feel free to help me in the right direction.

Thanks Jedd

Last edited by Jedd; 11-27-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: what kind of speed control to use

Originally posted by Jedd
Hi there this is my first post so if this comes out wronge please excuse me.
I have two speed controls that I have and was wondering what one would suit my racing better. I race 1/12 scale 4cell stock and I have been running a Keyence Zero Extreme and also have a Novak Atom both I have ran but the only problem I have with the Keyence is that it take so much movement on the throttle on the transmitter before the car with go forward, and with the Atom it is right there. What I would like to know is am I setting the Keyence up wrong as I have been to the web site and there is the same amount of info there. What also does all of the drive freq. and neutral freq. and brake freq. mean and what setting should they be at. Also if there is something better out there please feel free to help me in the right direction.

Thanks Jedd
from what I here the Keyence should be the way to go. Its obvious you have some set up issues with it try and reset it .
Old 11-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

How do I reset this thing as it really doesn't tell you in the instructions. I also run a KO MARS controller
thanks for the reply
Jedd
Old 11-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Jedd
How do I reset this thing as it really doesn't tell you in the instructions. I also run a KO MARS controller
thanks for the reply
Jedd
I dont have one but I am sure if you contact steve wang at speed tech he could tell you how to do it
Old 11-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

thanks Howard I'll look into this, If anyone would have more info on the two ESC please reply.
Thanks Jedd
Old 11-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

well, when you use the exteme, make sure your radio trim for the throttle is not in the brake area, then it'll take a while for the car to move.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Default go NOVAK

i would stay with the nivak if the other one is playin up

that my two cents
Old 11-28-2003, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

ya, me too, novaks are more dependable IMO. There custamer service is number 1, and novaks are very easy to set. I never had a keyence, because not man people have them, and a lot of people have novaks.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Jedd,
I have been using the Keyence speedos for three years. They are the best available today. You have some setup issues with the speedo and your trasmitter. Call schumacher usa and ask for Paul Winn he will tell you exactly what to do.
P.S. These speedos are very High Tech and are not for the unexperienced.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:27 PM
N4S
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I agree 100 % I have a hand full of the v's and the v extremes . By far the best spedo made today. I could set it up , but to explain it over the net is extremely hard. Once you match the radio to the speedo (with all trims to 0) your neutral width will affect what you are talking about . you can set these so low that if a breeze hits the trigger the car will move. no joke. The lower the freq. the more agressive the setting. the most confusing thing about them is the fact that they have 2 setting modes. Both freq. and values. For example the neutral brake.......You first set the NB freq wich i use 1.5 , Then you set the value of where it is. wich i set at 30% with a front diff and 0% with a one way. the percentage is the amount of brake that is applied in the neutral position. Rc old man said it best . these are not for the unexperienced , but if you understand what the freq and %'s mean then its not hard to learn to use them. Hope all this rambeling has helped in some way..... good luck.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guy's for all of your imput I think I have it figured out and it was fromm all of your ideas as the tranmitter was not set correctly and I had to fix all of the setting. I used it today at a race and everthing worked great.
Thanks Jedd
Old 11-29-2003, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

No problem Jedd. Just use the quick guide for basic setups. Try changeing the nutral with to 0 or 5 and go from there. also when using the P94 style brush run a drive frequency of 11.0 or so.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

it sounds like u might have setup the minimum throttle drive which requires u to depress quite a lot of ur throttle trigger before the car actually respond.this value is normally abt 70%,so ur initial throttle trigger input will not get ur car moving at all...or ut esc frequency is set too low.
the keyence zero xtreme is 1 of the best esc u can have,but the settings might b too much if u r not familiar with them or worse,dun have a manual to guide u through...

check this 2 values...

try setting up the esc again....it might help
Old 11-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

Jedd, sounds like you haven't set up the Brake, Throttle and Neutral point.

Then you do the following:
1. Move the neutral point toward the throtlle
2. Increase the throttle exponential on your transmitter
3. Set min throttle
4. Decrease the deadband
5. Decrease the drive frequency for more punch

Please try and let me know what is the outcome!
Old 11-30-2003, 08:27 PM

im looking for a new speed control

lookin for something thats japanese

unlimited turn!
won races before ha ha

oh yeah not futaba i hate them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.