World GT Body Debate Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Body Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 AM
Tech Rookie

A bit off topic, but if you dont ask you get no answer.
I dont care about rules since we only are a few friends racing and we want to use 2S lipo on outdoor track of midium size and midium technical.

How many turns will be perfect in a WGT car?? 8.5t?? 10.5t??
I want it fast but still controlable...

And what about spur/pinion?? What sizes is recomended??

We also race 1:10 nitro touring and 1:12 with 4,5t.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by epstn
A bit off topic, but if you dont ask you get no answer.
I dont care about rules since we only are a few friends racing and we want to use 2S lipo on outdoor track of midium size and midium technical.

How many turns will be perfect in a WGT car?? 8.5t?? 10.5t??
I want it fast but still controlable...

And what about spur/pinion?? What sizes is recomended??

We also race 1:10 nitro touring and 1:12 with 4,5t.
Depends on the amount of grip/traction you have, and how long the straight is.
With 2s (in a CRC using PF Corvette)) I personally found 10.5 a slight handful, 13.5 heart racingly comfortable, and 17.5 very raceable. All these on a fairly high grip (dust free) Bitumin surface. 17.5 (with boost) still capable of 52mph on 155ft straight.

Another trick (if your handset has the option) is to set your throttle stick to 80% power and use a button for full power. This allows more control on the infiled, and full power once car is straight on the main staight.
(A trick I used to get duration when we only had 2000 NiCd cells in Mod TC)

Last edited by NiMo; 06-23-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ptiracing
We are looking to make a WGT body.

It has been suggested we use our new 200mm Porsche 962 body.

BUT

When I read the 2011 ROAR WGT body rules it states the car must be based on "production front engine rear drive cars".
This rules out our 962 and the LMP cars (I've got an R18 in works now) these are all mid and rear engine cars and certainly not production.

I have been out of this a long time, have the rules changed? Am I looking at the wrong organization? Is there a WGT organization other than ROAR?

Can someone please explain...
Porsche 962? Audi R18? That would make the cars into scaled up 1/12th wedges. World GT is more for real-world Grand Touring cars, not prototypes. Porsche 911, not 962. Audi R8 not R18 etc. To allow wedges like a 962 would kill the class stone dead.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by academygaz
Porsche 962? Audi R18? That would make the cars into scaled up 1/12th wedges. World GT is more for real-world Grand Touring cars, not prototypes. Porsche 911, not 962. Audi R8 not R18 etc. To allow wedges like a 962 would kill the class stone dead.

There was an organization that basically established the WGT rules a few years back but they havent updated the body rules on the site there since the beginning. PTI Racing if you want some good ideas for bodies to make for this class Id check out the FIA GT1 Championship, FIA European GT3 Championship, American LeMans Series and the World Endurance Championship GTE classes
Old 06-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

If PTI Racing already have copyrights to produce an Audi, then the R8 would be a nice change.
I'm sure ROAR would ammend their rules at the next AGM if the demand is there to open up the shell rules to allow mid/rear engined cars?
And I'm sure many clubs are not so restrictive on shell use?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by academygaz
Thanks everyone for your help on this..

It was not my intent to kill a class.... Seems like I got WGT wrong.. I thought it was about lower cost scale racing... I see now I was incorrect...
But, I must say its difficult for me to look at this body and think its a wedge body... But I see your point...

I only mentioned the R18 because ALMS was mentioned, but I see now they were referring to the GT classes. (We already make a 200mm Ford GT, but its mid engine and not legal)

trackdesigner71 -- Thanks for the suggestion.. I am very familiar with most of these classes....

Since I am more a prototype guy most of these bodies don't really appeal to me..

SO .. Let me open it up here on this thread...

What legal WGT body would you like to see?
Attached Thumbnails World GT Body Debate Thread-110-956.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

It was not my intent to kill a class.... Seems like I got WGT wrong.. I thought it was about lower cost scale racing... I see now I was incorrect...
But, I must say its difficult for me to look at this body and think its a wedge body... But I see your point...

I only mentioned the R18 because ALMS was mentioned, but I see now they were referring to the GT classes. (We already make a 200mm Ford GT, but its mid engine and not legal)

trackdesigner71 -- Thanks for the suggestion.. I am very familiar with most of these classes....

Since I am more a prototype guy most of these bodies don't really appeal to me..

SO .. Let me open it up here on this thread...

Something from the current FIA GT list

and this
From TD
There was an organization that basically established the WGT rules a few years back but they havent updated the body rules on the site there since the beginning. PTI Racing if you want some good ideas for bodies to make for this class Id check out the FIA GT1 Championship, FIA European GT3 Championship, American LeMans Series and the World Endurance Championship GTE classes
A nice Ferrari and or Beemer would be sweet
Old 06-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Something from the current FIA GT list

and this
From TD

A nice Ferrari and or Beemer would be sweet
Except the first three, none of the cars in your picture has the engine at the front.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Der Dicke
Except the first three, none of the cars in your picture has the engine at the front.
Mercedes does, no?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:47 AM
Tech Initiate

the body Porsche 962 on your picture is amazing, what is it?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Mercedes does, no?
Oops, yes you're right.

Let's hope, somebody brings out the 2013 Viper
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Oops, yes you're right.

Woof! The front end air dam/splitter looks absolutely wicked!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

?
Me too. Do you have other prototype/group C bodies? 200mm/235mm
Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

Oops, yes you're right.

That would Rock !

More good looking scale bodies could be the jump-start this class needs to get it going again
It's all about timing
Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

We are looking to make a WGT body.

It has been suggested we use our new 200mm Porsche 962 body.

BUT

When I read the 2011 ROAR WGT body rules it states the car must be based on "production front engine rear drive cars".
This rules out our 962 and the LMP cars (I've got an R18 in works now) these are all mid and rear engine cars and certainly not production.

I have been out of this a long time, have the rules changed? Am I looking at the wrong organization? Is there a WGT organization other than ROAR?

Can someone please explain...
The rules haven't changed, the old Pro10 class that ran the LMP and Group C bodies died out completely and very few people run them today. As a way to revive pan car racing a new WorldGT class with spec tyres and limited power was created.

WorldGT started because a bunch of racers got together to try and revive Pro10 in their area by coming up with a set of rules for the newer narrow pan car chassis that were around a few years ago that could fit touring car size bodies. To limit performance they decided to restrict them to GT cars using scale bodies, mainly from HPI but allowing any other scale GT body that fit their rules. The front engined part was added to cut out wedge bodies, without considering it would also cut out Porsche 911s and most of the GT cars being raced.

It only became a proper class when Scotty Ernst adopted the rules for a demo class at the IIC and it was so successful the rules were adopted by national organisations worldwide. It looked great seeing a mix of scale looking Corvettes, Supras and Vipers going round, but that was killed off when Protoform brought out the Sophia. At least it means they now all run a spec bodyshell for the class so body choice is easy, even though it is pretty boring.

ROAR has stuck with the 'front engined/rear wheel drive' body rule, here in the UK the BRCA has a wider list that includes everything that runs in any GT championship, so we can run the Porsche 911, Ford GT, Lamborghini Gallardo, etc. Everyone still runs a Sophia though as the Sophia and Parma DB9 are the only performance shells designed specifically for the class.

Some have tried to create an LMP class, allowing 200mm wide LMP and GT1 bodies and more powerful motors, but no one seems to be interested. Of course there's nothing to stop club racers running whatever they want, my WorldGT still runs a Protoform Mulsanne for example, but most clubs will stick to strict WorldGT rules as it makes body choice simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.