Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World GT Body Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Charlie Brown, I am with you that we need more WGT legal bodies. In regard to your affection for historic Trans Am bodies, are you familiar with VTA?

scott
I used to race USVTA until shortcourse took over every thing and drove me to sell off my Trans am car. The cars I mean ran between 1986(ish?)-mid 1990's in the IMSA GTO/U series and some (namely the original Jack Baldwin Hot Wheels Camaro) ran in TA in the early 90's
Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

It would be cool to have a few more choices, but it's hard for the manufacturers to justify developing, manufacturing, and marketing a new body for a class that has a relatively small following. In the Mid-Atlantic, we see a handful of WGT cars during the indoor season, and most drivers put them away when we head outdoors in April. The class might have a stronger year-round regional following in other locales, but probably not strong enough to hold realistic expectations of new body shell offerings to become available with each passing season. I remember the days when we had more body choices, but tough economic times forced manufacturers to scale back the number of offerings and focus on one or two successful designs that meet our needs. That said, I'll work with what's offered, and look forward to the soon-to-be released Gianna.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default didn't intend to upset Mr. Ruggles

I'm not arguing. Just expressing my opinion that it would be way cool to have a realistic looking body, with my preferred (and most iconic of all time) choice being a 911. Sadly, it seems that probably won't ever happen. So I run the Sophia because I find it to be a little less ugly than the Bentley. I'm hopeful that the rumored new protoform offering will have a more realistic look to it. If it does, then I'll be on it straight away. Having said all of that, I do think that the WGT class is super cool. Plenty fast, not excessively difficult or fussy to set up or to drive, and very economical to campaign, even at a very high competititve level. What's not to like? ....well except for having the choice of only two bodies to run, both of them ugly and awkwardly proportioned.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by CHARLIE BROWN
I used to race USVTA until shortcourse took over every thing and drove me to sell off my Trans am car. The cars I mean ran between 1986(ish?)-mid 1990's in the IMSA GTO/U series and some (namely the original Jack Baldwin Hot Wheels Camaro) ran in TA in the early 90's
I believe PF used to make a really nice Camaro body...might have been HPI but I don't think the on I have is. My LHS used to get pre-painted bodies from a guy a long time ago and one of them was the Hot Wheels Camaro and it was so nice I had to pick it up right away. I'll look around and see if I still have it.

Originally Posted by vafactor
I'm not arguing. Just expressing my opinion that it would be way cool to have a realistic looking body, with my preferred (and most iconic of all time) choice being a 911. Sadly, it seems that probably won't ever happen. So I run the Sophia because I find it to be a little less ugly than the Bentley. I'm hopeful that the rumored new protoform offering will have a more realistic look to it. If it does, then I'll be on it straight away. Having said all of that, I do think that the WGT class is super cool. Plenty fast, not excessively difficult or fussy to set up or to drive, and very economical to campaign, even at a very high competititve level. What's not to like? ....well except for having the choice of only two bodies to run, both of them ugly and awkwardly proportioned.
There's a Bentley? Or did you mean the Aston Martin?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vafactor
...Having said all of that, I do think that the WGT class is super cool. Plenty fast, not excessively difficult or fussy to set up or to drive, and very economical to campaign, even at a very high competititve level. What's not to like?
Regardless of our body shell preferences, I think we'll all agree with that.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
There's a Bentley? Or did you mean the Aston Martin?
I'm fairly certain the OP meant Aston Martin, not Bentley...
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=InspGadgt;11816191]I believe PF used to make a really nice Camaro body...might have been HPI but I don't think the on I have is. My LHS used to get pre-painted bodies from a guy a long time ago and one of them was the Hot Wheels Camaro and it was so nice I had to pick it up right away. I'll look around and see if I still have it.

If you could post pics I would love to See that
Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some of you new to WGT might not remember but when the class first started (pre ROAR sanction) there were over a dozen legal bodies. And only 2 were ever seen at serious races. When ROAR sanctioned the class and required body approval it shrank to 4. And we still only see 2 at serious races.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had a Corvette when I started in the class....It wasn't too hatefull outdoors. I've been testing the differences for me between the DB9 and Sophia....So far the jury is out on what works better for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

OK ...I had to look up the old rule set (pre-ROAR). I couldn't find the 2008 ruleset with the 4 cell rules....but this one has the body list from then...hard to belive it's been five years already.

http://www.rcracingstation.com/docu_...s%20-%2009.pdf
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

My first body for WGT was the PF Corvette, that was four years ago. It handled OK indoors but when I switched to the DB9 the car was a whole lot better.

For the competitive types in this class it will boil down to 1 or 2 bodies regardless of how many will be available. I can say that the other HPI bodies looked nice but they didn't seem to do well on the track, just the Sophia, DB9 and McAllister Ferraro (even uglier than the Sophia) seemed to be the bodies of choice for performance.

Now if you are into Grand Touring (non-competitive drive around the track) then any body shell would work even a Hummer.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scootr117
OK ...I had to look up the old rule set (pre-ROAR). I couldn't find the 2008 ruleset with the 4 cell rules....but this one has the body list from then...hard to belive it's been five years already.

http://www.rcracingstation.com/docu_...s%20-%2009.pdf
Those are the set of rules we stayed with for four years but unfortunately WGT is a dead class in my area now. The good news is that F1 has resurfaced and is a slower class but more people like it. Now talk about a HUGE choice of bodies (NOT).
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I love Trans Am and F1 for scale realism. Trans Am you have many body choices. For F1, there are 2 modern bodies (F60 MP4-24), but you have the option of applying any livery to the car you like and be unique in that way.

WGT - You have a choice of picking one of the 2, IMHO, bodies that handle and paint it in your own livery. Maybe we should try to paint them realistically instead of like TC Blobs? I can tell my Sophia looks like an Alpha 8C and my DB9 looks like an Aston Martin DB9. I just enjoy the class: Enough speed, enough reliability and plenty of good racing. And when I tell people my rear tires lasted a whole season and only went through 3 sets of fronts, they are in shock. This is easily my least expensive car to maintain.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 02-15-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I agree
Both the Sophia, and DB9 work well
Attached Thumbnails World GT Body Debate Thread-tqwgt3.jpg   World GT Body Debate Thread-smwgt3t.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I agree
Both the Sophia, and DB9 work well
IMO, those are easily the two best looking WGT shells that I've seen. Thanks for sharing, and for the inspiration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.