Wiki Posts
Search

lrp spx stock spec

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing
you can adjust the timing of the LRP X11 stockspec motors.....you will see a mark on the motor label which comes from factory aligned with a mark on the endbell ring.......you can play advancing 2mm at a time and see how it performs......

to turn the ring and advance the timing you have to loosen the 3 screws of the back plate........

I can't help you much because I don't run 5-cell, with 7.4v lipo and lrp 10.5 motor you can gear the motor at 6.5~7.0fdr if the track is small..........try power profiles 7 and 8..........
SalvadoriRacing

Hope you don't mind my question.

What would be the effect of moving the timing of the LRP x11? Either moving it up 2mm to moving it down 2mm? Does it effect torque or rpm?

I have a LRP X11 13.5t with a sintered rotor, i'm very much interested in playing with the timing. Just want to know what's the theory behind it so that i would know what to look for when i run the car.

Thanks and apologies to all in advance for not sticking to the subject of this thread.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by alecladanga
SalvadoriRacing

Hope you don't mind my question.

What would be the effect of moving the timing of the LRP x11? Either moving it up 2mm to moving it down 2mm? Does it effect torque or rpm?

I have a LRP X11 13.5t with a sintered rotor, i'm very much interested in playing with the timing. Just want to know what's the theory behind it so that i would know what to look for when i run the car.

Thanks and apologies to all in advance for not sticking to the subject of this thread.
more advance = less eficiency, more rpm and peak power at higher rpm..........it's needed to run shorter ratio to take some advantage and to not fry the motor........
Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Hi Murphy's,

I see this is your first post. It is a good question; but, without you having provided any information about your car, motor, battery, tires, track (asphalt or carpet), etc. we cannot respond with any certainty that we will hit the target. Please clarify further...

Cheers!

Bill
Hi Bill

Thanks for your reply and request for more clarity - my question was more generic, but I run an X-Ray T2'007 on rubber tyres (Sorex 24), using a Losi Xceorin 10.5 BL with the Losi ESC. My son runs the identical car but with a Novak 10.5SS / GTB on profile 1.

We both run Trakpower 3600 mAh 30C batteries. The track is indoor, low grip carpet, about 75' x 30' and generally set up with a 75' straight, with a fast sweep at the end, and a twisty infield. The GTB is frustrating due to the lack of ability to fine-tune the throttle / brake profiles whereas the Xcelorin is pretty good in the ability to setup via the PC link.

Controlling exit wheelspin with the GTB is proving to be quite difficult, even using the radio throttle EXP function and turning down the throttle EPA. The GTB seems to come in with a "bang" even with the "min drive" set to its lowest. Obviously tuned fingers and thumbs helps !

So I have decided to try the spx, frankly more based on the "softer" profiles 1-6 and generally good reports about it, rather than aiming to use the 7 & 8 profiles (but will certainly try !! ).

Having said all that, it seems from this thread that the spx rates very well on longer, more sweeping tracks, but I am interested in other racer's experiences on tight, low-grip ones.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing
more advance = less eficiency, more rpm and peak power at higher rpm..........it's needed to run shorter ratio to take some advantage and to not fry the motor........
thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

profile 8 + 13.5 @ 6.04 = oh my goodness!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

well after a week of timing and changing gearing ang profiles we have finally found the "sweet spot" on the speedo

and WOW it's quick

i use program 8 with 4.479:1 gearing

10.5 lrp and 5 cells

the only thing i have noticed is that after a few laps when the cells have lost that initial "punch" the speedo changes slightly and it doesn't seem the change into high speed mode in the same place ywice in a row

still very happy with it and i think i can now keep up with the GM powered cars and i am over half a second a lap quicker
Old 06-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
profile 8 + 13.5 @ 6.04 = oh my goodness!
In the vicinity for a short track.

Now, if you just get the right motor...and that motor's optimum timing...
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I posted a couple weeks ago about my SPX. I ran about 6 laps and it just stopped. I didnt have another brushless motor, so I tried a brushed motor I had laying around. Still nothing. All the lights on the esc light up correctly when I pull the trigger, but the motor doesnt turn. I can change all of the settings, but cannot get the motor to turn. Before I give up and send it back to LRP, I was looking for any help you can give.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by gruman28; 06-21-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gruman28
I posted a couple weeks ago about my SPX. I ran about 6 laps and it just stopped. I tried didnt have another brushless motor, so I tried a brushed motor I had laying around. Still nothing. All the lights on the esc light up correctly when I pull the trigger, but the motor doesnt turn. I can change all of the settings, but cannot get the motor to turn. Before I give up and send it back to LRP, I was looking for any help you can give.

Thanks
Chris
Is it known that the bl motor is good? If not, I would borrow another brushless motor to try with the SPX before to confirm it is the ESC.

If it is bad, it should go back to LRP via Associated in SoCal.

Bill
Old 06-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Is it known that the bl motor is good? If not, I would borrow another brushless motor to try with the SPX before to confirm it is the ESC.

If it is bad, it should go back to LRP via Associated in SoCal.

Bill
The brushed motor I tried is good. Guess its back to LRP....
Old 06-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

from what i have heard if they get too hot inside they do cook

what sort of gearing did you use ??
Old 06-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
from what i have heard if they get too hot inside they do cook

what sort of gearing did you use ??
Excellent question!

What make of BL motor too? 17.5, 13.5, 10.5, other? What timing? All three factors would make for different gearing.

I have already heard of two locals cooking their SPX's after only a few laps on NorCal's asphalt track with too high of gearing (low FD numbers) while on setting 8. For 13.5 TC at NorCal, I am now in the high-fives (5.7 FD)with the SPX; whereas with a TC ESC I was in the mid-fours (4.5 FD). Locals can see my brand of motor and its timing...

Bill
Old 06-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah I would go ahead and send it back. Looks like you checked everything else. I had basically the same thing happen to my 2 week old SPX. As a update to my experience with the SPX, I have run the replacement now for 4 races and no problems since. My first one must have just been bad luck.Yesterday it was really hot here, track temps were 140f and It worked flawlessly for me. My local asphalt track is pretty big and with a Express/Trinity duo 17.5 with middle hole timing and profile 7, after 6 min my motor temp was 161F. FDR was 4.77. Another local asphalt track has a small very technical layout and there I run same motor but first hole timing, profile 7 and FDR 5.19 with similar motor temps. Like the others have said motor type and gearing has a lot of variables. When I go to a new track I have never been to or try a new brand of motor, I just gear to a FDR like 5.5- 6.0 and go out and practice to memorize the track. Check the temp after a few min and then just start going up on pinion till i get to the motor temp I am comfortable with.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Timmie
Yeah I would go ahead and send it back. Looks like you checked everything else. I had basically the same thing happen to my 2 week old SPX. As a update to my experience with the SPX, I have run the replacement now for 4 races and no problems since. My first one must have just been bad luck.Yesterday it was really hot here, track temps were 140f and It worked flawlessly for me. My local asphalt track is pretty big and with a Express/Trinity duo 17.5 with middle hole timing and profile 7, after 6 min my motor temp was 161F. FDR was 4.77. Another local asphalt track has a small very technical layout and there I run same motor but first hole timing, profile 7 and FDR 5.19 with similar motor temps. Like the others have said motor type and gearing has a lot of variables. When I go to a new track I have never been to or try a new brand of motor, I just gear to a FDR like 5.5- 6.0 and go out and practice to memorize the track. Check the temp after a few min and then just start going up on pinion till i get to the motor temp I am comfortable with.
Excellent logic Timmie. You'll go far in r/c...

Tell us when you get to profile 8? It's da bong!

Bill
Old 06-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had it in my Xray T2 set up for USVTA. I used a Novak 21.5 motor. I believe 4.29 was my gear ratio. We actually raised it right before we took it out, but I cant rememeber to what. I didnt change the timing on the motor and I kept the esc on the default settings except I did change to profile 7.

I took the car around six laps, then it stopped. Nothing Crazy. I was just trying to get everything set up. Maybe 1 or 2 were hot laps. I took the car, the motor and ESC were hot, but nothing crazy. I forgot the exact temp. I was in a fuss to find out what was wrong.

Thanks for all the help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.