Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by proceed5
Hi guys,
I need to ask this silly question and was hoping for someone here to post a good reply please.

The following is my current setup and after numerous runs since maiden, I have found that I need to have seriously more off-power steering (for that deeper attack into an apex) and more on-power steering (for more aggressive throttle out from corners).
Whenever I used Stock motors, there's no problem, everything is fantastic.
But when I switch to the BL Novak3.5r, I face firstly understeer, hugs corner, then power understeer. I want my MRE to hug the apex and be able to power out without understeering out. On some sweepers, cannot even hold half throttle.

I have the following setup at present time and needs improvements, greatly appreciate assistance:
Mazda6 body; Novak 3.5r; Steering rod attached to forward hole on steering knuckles; 3mm shims added to steering linkage to bring forward the ball nuts where the steering rod cups fits ; Caster 4`;

Front shocks: 2-hole pistons, 50wt oil, Blue springs, ride height 5mm;
Mid rollbars (standard MRE); Sus blocks 1B-1A Bridge (standard MRE); Droop 5 (measured using the standard droop gauge from bottom of chassis);

Rear shocks: 2-hole pistons, 40wt oil, Blue springs, ride height 5.5mm;
Soft rollbars (standard MRE); Sus blocks 1XB-1C (with positive Anti-squat 0.5mm added); Droop 6;

I have tried adding Kick-up 0.5mm onto the fronts, but this resulted in even more initial understeer, but on-power steering noticeably improved. But I can't live with the massive understeer off-power.

Aim: I want to carry more speed at corners.

Should I do the following:
a) softer shock oils front to say 40wt?
b) add Negative Kick-up instead of positive (but will I loose that on-power steering effect ?)

Thanks in advance guys,
Cheers
First thing I would suggest is too increase the amount of rear drop you run. Personally, I tend to run more or equal rear droop, compared to the front, (ie, F @ 5, R @ 4... or 5 all round).
That will certainly help to sort out your off power steering issue.

Follow the others guys suggestions as well (I notice Kewdawg has posted something already ), Should be able to sort this
Old 01-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
The MRE came with a supplemental instruction sheet and a small update to that supplement that related to the steering installation. Does anyone have an electronic version of that small update sheet?
The small update sheet just notes to use the 2 shorter ball studs included in the kit. They are 0.5mm shorter than the std stud.

I personally use the hex-headed ball nuts (which are 1mm shorter than the std nut), makes any ackerman change easier

HiH
Ed
Old 01-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Hi there
Can some one please tell me what part number for the metal outdrives for the MRE/MSX tamiya Spool. I keep breaking mine and was wondering if there is a outdrive in metal or titanium, or what other brands fit onto the tamiya spool.Also with all the guy's using metal out drives have you had no problems with them.
Thanks in advance
Addam
JAAD do one too, which comes with steel otudrives. Also make a blue alloy front diff (which feels lighter than the Tamiya item), and nice groovy carbon effect diff covers.
Link in signature
(Precision RC sell the gear)
Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thank's So much guy's
This gives me some food for thought on the car spool set up.
Also on a smooth wide track on ashpalt with good grip can you guy's give me a good starting detupo with droop. I was just reading tryhard you use 5 all round is this a good starting point?
Anyones input would be great.
Thank's Alot
Addam
Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
First thing I would suggest is too increase the amount of rear drop you run. Personally, I tend to run more or equal rear droop, compared to the front, (ie, F @ 5, R @ 4... or 5 all round).
That will certainly help to sort out your off power steering issue.

Follow the others guys suggestions as well (I notice Kewdawg has posted something already ), Should be able to sort this
Hi TryHard,
Thanks for tips. Yes have re-set Rear droops to 4. BTW, the quick tips on your webpage really comes in handy .

Brushless motors systems has weird powerband. Switched back to a brushed mod motor and things are much easier to control, i do not how to explain this scenario... just weird.

thanks and cheers mate, have a nice one .
Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TRFMAD
Thank's So much guy's
This gives me some food for thought on the car spool set up.
Also on a smooth wide track on ashpalt with good grip can you guy's give me a good starting detupo with droop. I was just reading tryhard you use 5 all round is this a good starting point?
Anyones input would be great.
Thank's Alot
Addam
Hi Addam,
There is a quick tip-sheet posted at Thard's website which is very useful.
Regards,
John.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Man How did I miss that , I love his site
Thanks Proceed5
Old 01-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by proceed5
Hi TryHard,
Thanks for tips. Yes have re-set Rear droops to 4. BTW, the quick tips on your webpage really comes in handy .

Brushless motors systems has weird powerband. Switched back to a brushed mod motor and things are much easier to control, i do not how to explain this scenario... just weird.

thanks and cheers mate, have a nice one .
Don't thank me for the quick tips sheet... thank the XXX main guys who produced the book, it's their info that I've just put in an excel sheet

TRFMAD; Droop, outdoors I start on 5 F, 4 R. Indoors 6F, 4R.
HiH
Ed
Old 01-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Hey Tryhard
Martin crisp is Jesus but you are god Ha Ha, I agree the XXX book is great.
Addam
Old 01-18-2007, 02:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Short Reversable Arms Vs Standard MRE Arms

Hi, could anybody tell me the reason for changing the standard arms on the TRF415MSX MRE to the short ones.

What difference would this make on carpet?

Many Thanks

Paul
Old 01-18-2007, 03:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
Don't thank me for the quick tips sheet... thank the XXX main guys who produced the book, it's their info that I've just put in an excel sheet

TRFMAD; Droop, outdoors I start on 5 F, 4 R. Indoors 6F, 4R.
HiH
Ed
Yupe, it sure works.
BTW, my copy is a bit too old, is there an online site that i can purchase from?
Old 01-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

can anyone tell where I can buy new belts for the MR? I broke my front one and don't know the partnumber...

THANX!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blue247carz
Hi, could anybody tell me the reason for changing the standard arms on the TRF415MSX MRE to the short ones.

Many Thanks

Paul
I've found that, using the short arms w/ foam tires, allows the car to react / transition much better.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:38 AM
Tech Master

Hey Kewdawg
What type of modes have you done to your MSX?
Thanks
Addam
Old 01-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blue247carz

Many Thanks

Paul
The car will square up better and your laptimes will be faster
I am using the short arms on both carpet and asphalt with rubber tires.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.