Community
Wiki Posts
Search

idea for a new sedan body

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by reenmachine
How is that not realistic? Realistic doesn't mean it looks just like something you'll see in the local parking lot. The body I posted is a very close replica of an actual 1:1 race car. I am racing RC cars, not parking them in front of a 1:10 Wal-Mart.
+1
I would much rather drive porsche gt-3 and ferrari f430 bodies, and other cars in the le mans series
Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

I'm with JCarr on this one. This is Touring Car, so those Le mans bodies won't be legal in this class. I just want more of a variety in the types of bodies I can choose from. Protoform has done good in the number of bodies out there, but there is still so much more that can be done. Like the Mazda 6 body. I have and use it, frequently, and so dose about half or more racers at my club. But should that be the only body available, for being the fastes? No, There should at least be a few more out there. I want ROAR to open the flood gate, just a little, so we can see some much needed variety. I've only been racing a year, and I'm already looking for other outlets to RC racing other than TC. The least they can do is give me more choses in bodies.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does it have anything to do with ROAR rules that at most local/club racing events we don't see more realistic bodies from companies like Kyosho, Tamiya, CEN or HPI? I don't see any cars from them on the approved body list, and especially HPI used to have lots of them on there. Did they just decide not to keep up with the submission/approval requirements? Is there a max price rule that would keep some of them out? Why can't I run my Lotus Elise body with the Mazda 6 sedan guys if I want to?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If it's not a ROAR-sanctioned event, which is the case 99.9% of the time, you can run whatever body you want at the discretion of the race director. We run all kinds of different bodies. Most club racers run a Mazda 6 or Speed 6 because they see it on the world championship cars and think that they need it to be competitive.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Reen has the right idea.

RCGT! 17.5 stock and im sure there would be a mod or superstock class if the demand was big enough but this is what we have since its still in infancy.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
How is that not realistic? Realistic doesn't mean it looks just like something you'll see in the local parking lot. The body I posted is a very close replica of an actual 1:1 race car. I am racing RC cars, not parking them in front of a 1:10 Wal-Mart.

Only if that's how you choose to be. Some prefer to go to the track to have fun racing with each other with cars that look cool, even if we're a little off Reinhard's pace...
Well either Walmart needs to build a 1:10 store or the big three need to produce a 1:1 LTC-R for me. I guess "realistic" is in the eyes of the beholder. I think that the current cars look great and they perform well.We have a few driver's that choose to run the Lotus, Skyline and Dodge Charger bodies. They do quite well in the C-main. I choose to RACE competitively and I'm not willing to sacrifice 2 laps to the leaders just to have a car that "looks" like something I saw on TV. I'm not hatin' on those who prefer the "realistic" bodies, I just don't see the point in slowing cars down with inferior handling shells all for the sake of looks. There are too many great painters out there to help with that department.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Face it guys, Form follows function. You don't go complaining about how ugly a ferrari looks because it isn't simular to your honda accord, do you?

The same principles apply! Personally, i got sucked into the hobby by watching low profile TC's and 1/12th scales with their incredibly quick looking and clean looking bodys while watching them dart around the track. Why are we still following the full scale car world when it comes to compitetion RC cars? Heck, we run electric cars, dish plastic wheels, plate carbon fiber chassis (why not construct a simple monocoque chassis for our "scale" cars while we are at it), HUGE motors scale wise, and four body posts sticking outta the top, and batteries that in comparison to a full scale car would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce! Plus, why don't we lower the top speed to 16 miles per hour and lower the acceleration to 0-6 miles per hour in a matter of 4 seconds and a 0-12 mph in a matter of 11 seconds?

In all honesty, if i where to watch some 17.5 cars with four cells and "scale" bodies when i first watched RC racing, i don't know how interested i would be into it today.

I say make the bodies as perfect as possible, don't worry about licensing, and make them work, like in 1/12th.

Whatta rant!! I think i got it all out of my system, for now...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

and who says you cant run multiple classes? One with your regular well perceived view of RC Racing (competition bodies and all) and then one for your "look cool WHILE racing" needs? Thats what i do, and thats what plenty of others do. I enter in Sportsman Stock and RCGT (btw to all you ignorant people, RCGT motor and battery rules are the same as ROAR stock rules for 1/10th TC so no slow cars here either) all the time. Same car, i just switch the wheels and body and bam im back on the track. Racing isnt a one-class hobby you know.

Besides, everybody seems to overlook the fact that dressing up cars and having that realistic looking stuff helps draw others into the hobby. Dont beleive me? RCGT at my local tracks gets WAY more magazine time, photo time, and focus from local companies than any other class. Many hobbyshops sponsor the class as well as companies like AE, HPI/HB, and Robitronics. This is still a business you know and from a business standpoint it. just. makes. sense.