Advice on traction rolling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on traction rolling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Tech Regular

Probably the one thing that was missed is traction compound. If you race carpet usually you can let the first coating soak 15-20 min. After a few runs usually 5-10 min tops for compound.

This is usually a major culprit depending on the sauce and the tire compound.

The other advise is also good....

Coop
Old 10-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

This seems to be a problem associated often with the Schumacher SST and Mission range of cars. This is a car that handles extremely well in low grip tracks, but as the traction builds up, it is the first car to traction roll. The new Mi2 doesn't have this problem anymore, since the lower wishbones are mounted in a totally different position. I don't know what kind of setup you have been running, and telling that I might be able to help you more. Here are some general giudelines of both my and Teemu's setup for high byte carpet to help with traction rolling.

Sway-bar in front
low front ride height (~1mm, just to keep the weight on wheels)
little droop, less in front
high ackermann (inner tire turns way more)
stiff springs, like silver/silver in the inner hole
totally laid down shocks
Oils in the range 70 front, 60 rear.
One step harder front insert
near zero caster
Make the rear wheelbase as long as possible
stiff rims
don't make the front wheels turn more than is needed
running shorter springs, like Associated ones, helps
Old 10-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

I have a mission, and run with 2 or 3 others, and have never seen one traction roll.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default DON'T Slow down!!!

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
You can only take a corner so fast... No matter how much traction you have you can only go so quick...
True, but we are talking about traction rolling, which generally means the grip is greater than the Chassis and set-up can handle at the monent.
The solution is to make adjustments to the set-up to take advantage of the avalible grip. If you slow down, you will just get passed by the Guy who has his Car correctly set-up for the conditions.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

pops isnt the pops for no reason well said.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

I'm going to resurect this post... I put my 2 cents in and was traction rolling all day today and for the life of me couldn't solve it!!!!!

Foot it currently in mouth.....
Old 01-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

whats your setup? Car?, stiff shocks, less sauce... read above, pracitce each setup. Kinda of a weird question, but i'm running on brand new carpet tomorrow, and i basically want to know a way to get alot of grip on carpet. I usually always have a lack of traction in the rear, i run a losi, battery front, but when i put it in the back, my front is looks, and i can't turn smoothly. So almost im asking how to get my car to almost roll, lol.?
Old 01-18-2004, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

I just moved to carpet 2 weeks ago and had a serious problem with traction rolling. What I found was that my front and rear shocks were too lateral,once I straightened them up the problem went away. If your running foams then run plaids up front, it should limit traction rolling some what. Also only compound 1/3 of the inside of the front tyres or less to start with.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

well, on my car, my shocks are laid down, i run plaids up front, and cover the inside 1/2 in sauce. In the rear my shock are stood up, i run red's, but there softened to purple(or softer), and cover the whole tire in sauce, should i lay the shocks down alot to get my rear to stick. I i roll, it'll be the first since my buggy days, so i can always back track.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:52 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just thought I'd throw a little something in...

During the Novak USTC @ Trackside, many of the rubber cars were starting to traction roll once the traction came up. Many people were fighting this problem all weekend, de-turning their car, and slowing down. I glued the outside sidewall, and about 1mm of the tire's face, and touched nothing to the setup, and had an awesome car with NO traction rolls.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

One think that is very important and should be considered is to lower your roll center. On the Schumacher cars you can do this 2 ways:
-You can mount the upper A arm on 2 different positions towards the diff: use the top position.
-or you can grind down the hingepin mounts.
Hope this helps
Old 01-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Troy hit the nail on the head. If the car feels great most of the time but traction rolls every now and then all you need is a little ca glue on the sidewalls of the tires. This works with foam and rubber tires. You will see this allot at larger races as traction comes up, it is a trick that some of us have been doing for many years all the back to when we ran ta03's.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default Traction rolling....

Well, everyone has some great thoughts. For me I have talked to many gas sedan racers who run on foams. Traction rolling can be fixed or helped by all of the things mentioned but one thing that has worked for me is going to a softer tire (shore). I was told many years ago, if you traction roll you have too much side bite and when you look at foam tires harder shore rating has tremendous side bite but less forward bite. Softer tires have less side bite and more forward bite. Try it.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Advice on traction rolling?

Originally posted by RC Old Man
Ok I need to pick all your brains. How do you you get a car to stop traction rolling?
Try using the same suspension setting,oil etc. for the front and the rear. From there then only try to fine tune it to suit your driving style.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ca the sidewall on the tires

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.