Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
I've actually cut the top deck all the way through, its just two strips of carbon now. I was suffering from snap oversteer in fast sweepers. This is how I cured the problem with the 417 (not quite so drastic) and it worked with the A700 providing more stability. Just ordered the IAS hoping to calm the car further in high speed transitions whilst using less toe out

Also I run 1mm under the wishbones at the rear (equivalent to hingepin 8mm from underside of baseplate), 0.5mm in front. Similar to a typical 416/417 set up, and exactly where I run my Xray. Quite different from what others are doing but I couldn't make any sense of the car until I did this, just could not get the rotation and exit corner steering I wanted low and medium speed

Active castor rocks
Thanks for the information. What surface do you run on?

The IAS definitely improves overall steering - used with std castor.

Active castor - didnt like it as much as std castor with the std rack. Active castor gave me more mid/exit steering but lost a little on initial. I should go back and try it now that I have the IAS installed.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0GEP...3&feature=plcp

DHI CUP 2012.
Three A700 cars are in the A-main of SuperStock 17,5.
One A700 is in A-main of Mod.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Thanks for the information. What surface do you run on?

The IAS definitely improves overall steering - used with std castor.

Active castor - didnt like it as much as std castor with the std rack. Active castor gave me more mid/exit steering but lost a little on initial. I should go back and try it now that I have the IAS installed.
Carpet all year but still learning about asphalt. But really love asphalt

OK that sounds about right as I was looking for more mid/exit and it worked great. It smoothed entry also and I must say the turn in is unreal now. I've got 1mm under the rear wishbones to get more rotation in the rear so the active castor isn't a problem to corner entry, its just very smooth and progressive.

In what way do you think the steering improved with the IAS?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

I've actually cut the top deck all the way through, its just two strips of carbon now. I was suffering from snap oversteer in fast sweepers. This is how I cured the problem with the 417 (not quite so drastic) and it worked with the A700 providing more stability. Just ordered the IAS hoping to calm the car further in high speed transitions whilst using less toe out

Also I run 1mm under the wishbones at the rear (equivalent to hingepin 8mm from underside of baseplate), 0.5mm in front. Similar to a typical 416/417 set up, and exactly where I run my Xray. Quite different from what others are doing but I couldn't make any sense of the car until I did this, just could not get the rotation and exit corner steering I wanted low and medium speed

Active castor rocks
IAS? Lost me? Care to explain??

How do you feel the car goes in transverse? I suffered massive overheating issues with the normal layout at the weekend, can only think the position of the motor doesn't let enough air get to it?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mb3195

How do you feel the car goes in transverse? I suffered massive overheating issues with the normal layout at the weekend, can only think the position of the motor doesn't let enough air get to it?
Increased Ackermann Set. I've only run transverse so can't say about inline looking forward to trying it
Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

In what way do you think the steering improved with the IAS?
Going back to some of my earliest notes about this car I was always in search of more steering. Tried droop, battery position, raise/lower links and roll center changes.

The IAS was what I was looking for. My car felt like I gained more initial steering and exit. All around the car just felt to turn better. The car had a good arc, didnt fell like it was diving in to hard. Over the longer term, it might be a little easier on the front tires even with the battery in R2 or F1.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Elite

Because of the cars efficiency in L-motor position - I have been able to actually carry more gear on my car. Motor temps have not been an issue.

You might want to check the rotor, stator, gearing, timing and ESC settings (drag brake/static brake). Sounds like the problem is elsewhere.

I want to try the T-motor position for chassis dynamics and drivetrain feel.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Because of the cars efficiency in L-motor position - I have been able to actually carry more gear on my car. Motor temps have not been an issue.

You might want to check the rotor, stator, gearing, timing and ESC settings (drag brake/static brake). Sounds like the problem is elsewhere.

I want to try the T-motor position for chassis dynamics and drivetrain feel.
Exactly the same setup as my X-ray, motor runs 20 degrees c hotter!

I may try the transverse setting though
Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Exactly the same setup as my X-ray, motor runs 20 degrees c hotter!

I may try the transverse setting though
Did you have fan on your car? On the Xray?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Going back to some of my earliest notes about this car I was always in search of more steering. Tried droop, battery position, raise/lower links and roll center changes.

The IAS was what I was looking for. My car felt like I gained more initial steering and exit. All around the car just felt to turn better. The car had a good arc, didnt fell like it was diving in to hard. Over the longer term, it might be a little easier on the front tires even with the battery in R2 or F1.
Yeah, the little I've run with the IAS rack I felt it created more steering everywhere but I didn't get much time to sort out which geometry works best. This Wednesday and Saturday I intend to focus on ackermann. Hopefully the "groove" will come in on our new layout so I can share what I learn.

Jake D.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Gotta get myself that IAS set....

Last edited by JayBee; 01-09-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JayBee
Gotta get myself that IAS set....
Just wanted to know if there was a link as to what the kit actually comes with, description of the features and what not ?
http://shop.awesomatix.com/index.php?productID=837
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Magnet Top

Last edited by JayBee; 01-09-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Tech Champion

This is such a timely discussion, as I have the IAS sitting in my pit box ready to test out, so was going to ask about what affect it had on the car. I've had the steering plate and rack from both out and compared side to side, and there is quite a difference between them (basically the rack moves further forward)... are you using the fully amount of parts, or just the replacement hub plates.

Which settings are you using on the IAS set Mark?

Cheers
Ed
Old 01-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TryHard
This is such a timely discussion, as I have the IAS sitting in my pit box ready to test out, so was going to ask about what affect it had on the car. I've had the steering plate and rack from both out and compared side to side, and there is quite a difference between them (basically the rack moves further forward)... are you using the fully amount of parts, or just the replacement hub plates.

Which settings are you using on the IAS set Mark?

Cheers
Ed
I am using the revised hub plates and rack.

Rack is full forward. Middle holes on rack with 1.5mm spacers. Steering ball has 4mm spacers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.