Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive) >

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree143Likes

Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Dont forget the D2 dampers! Also the ballcups and studs are different, although they dont change performance it makes working easier.

Yes, everything should be bolt on with no problems. If you are going to make it 100% L2 spec, you maybbe better off selling your old car and buying a new kit cost wise I think
Old 05-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
Dont forget the D2 dampers! Also the ballcups and studs are different, although they dont change performance it makes working easier.

Yes, everything should be bolt on with no problems. If you are going to make it 100% L2 spec, you maybbe better off selling your old car and buying a new kit cost wise I think
The original kit dampers still seem to be working fine so I don't see any reason to replace them yet. And I already have the new ball cups and studs installed that do make the car a lot easier to work on.

It's good to know all parts are a direct fit. With the CAD dollar so low, getting a new kit would be really expensive even if I sold my old car. I don't think I would make it 100% L2 spec but I do like the new motor mount as I currently have a hard time with mounting motors and setting the gear mesh. Not sure how much of an improvement the new gear diff and chassis would make though.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

The new dampers are a big performance improvement. Its not just that they are rebuildable, but the performance is totally different. Way better imo.

I would get the motor mount and dampers before the other stuff. The other parts are nice but those are the greatest improvements imo
Old 05-18-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The new dampers are a big performance improvement. Its not just that they are rebuildable, but the performance is totally different. Way better imo.

I would get the motor mount and dampers before the other stuff. The other parts are nice but those are the greatest improvements imo
I am new to Awesomatix and have the Evo2 with the d2.1 dampers. How easy or difficult is to change out the oil? I'm thinking of switching over to Associated 40wt as per Hanulec's recommendation in preparation for the asphalt over at Jackson
Old 05-18-2015, 04:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by branover
I am new to Awesomatix and have the Evo2 with the d2.1 dampers. How easy or difficult is to change out the oil? I'm thinking of switching over to Associated 40wt as per Hanulec's recommendation in preparation for the asphalt over at Jackson
Very simple
U need the right wrench -- 3/4 I believe (check manual)

Take one apart... Take out set screw and at40. Fill. Let sit. Install At40 and then set screw. Check for air by rotating the set screw and listening.

Rinse.
Repeat.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hanulec
Very simple

Take one apart... Take out set screw and at40. Fill. Let sit. Install At40 and then set screw. Check for air by rotating the set screw and listening.

Rinse.
Repeat.
Cool thanks. I breezed through the instructions today, seemed fairly simple but I didn't want to make any mistakes. They're so silky smooth as they are.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 2.1s came prebuilt with 40 (500 cst) oil?

Regardless, the rebuild is pretty straight forward; I just upgraded my 2.0 dampers to 2.1 for the bigger O-rings. Fortunately the new Evo 2 manual has detailed instructions on page 10.

Before assembly I would highly recommend soaking the O-rings (mainly OR155) in Associated green slime, or even better DOW Molykote 55. It really helps keeping the seals tight and oil from seeping out.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

I was curious also about switching the 500cst out to 40wt. I keep this little chart on my phone -
These are the AE oils, They have a CST rating on the bottle as well.
30wt = 350cst
32.5wt = 388cst
35wt = 425cst
37.5wt = 463cst
40wt = 500cst
42.5wt = 538cst
45wt = 575cst
47.5wt = 613cst
50wt = 650cst
55wt = 725cst
60wt = 800cst
Old 05-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

I've been looking over some setup sheets, and noticed on the sway bars it will often just say "black". Does anyone have a chart to show the millimeter size for the sway bar colors? Or does "black" refer to the sway bars with no dots at all?
Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by WesRaven
I've been looking over some setup sheets, and noticed on the sway bars it will often just say "black". Does anyone have a chart to show the millimeter size for the sway bar colors? Or does "black" refer to the sway bars with no dots at all?
Black should be a 1.3. Red = 1.2, 1.1 is olive green, 1.0 is green/grayish. Sometimes its hard to tell the 1.1 and 1.0 apart by color, be sure to check the size.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Black should be a 1.3. Red = 1.2, 1.1 is olive green, 1.0 is green/grayish. Sometimes its hard to tell the 1.1 and 1.0 apart by color, be sure to check the size.
Yeah I always go by the millimeter size using my calipers, seems easier and more universal than the color/dot system. Thanks for the info Mike.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

handful of new Evo II Asphalt setups now posted online at http://www.awesomatixusa.com/p/setup-sheets.html

Best of luck to the team heading out to the Reedy Race this weekend. See Brent Klingforth if you need some emergency parts.

New Awesomatix USA banners should be in full effect at the race too. Hope everyone likes them.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I got my evo2 out for its maiden voyage on asphalt today. While the results weren't great I learned a lot and realized I have a lot more to learn about not only the car but TC driving.
With lots of help from Hanulec, Gee and Eric the car was pretty good by the end of the day. I'm constantly amazed by how tunable and reactive to tuning this car is. I can't wait to get out again.
I overheard a lot of chatter at the track today, anyway, for anyone on the fence about getting an Awesomatix, just do it, you won't be disappointed. Car is great, support is great.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hanulec
Very simple

Rinse.
Repeat.
I redid mine this weekend, 9mm socket and it was as easy as advertised. Ended up going 500 in the rear and 450 up front.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Well, I got my evo2 out for its maiden voyage on asphalt today. While the results weren't great I learned a lot and realized I have a lot more to learn about not only the car but TC driving.
With lots of help from Hanulec, Gee and Eric the car was pretty good by the end of the day. I'm constantly amazed by how tunable and reactive to tuning this car is. I can't wait to get out again.
I overheard a lot of chatter at the track today, anyway, for anyone on the fence about getting an Awesomatix, just do it, you won't be disappointed. Car is great, support is great.
Good to hear things went well for ya overall. Your experience pretty much sums up my trip to the Reedy race. It was my first time at the track, so I had no idea what to expect. I've only been driving touring cars since March of this year (and hadn't driven consistently for 20 years before that) so I definitely felt brand new, right out of the box around all of these experienced drivers.

I didn't start feeling dialed until the mains, so I didn't qualify as high as I could have if I got my car (and my driving) dialed in faster. All said and done out of 70 17.5 drivers and G mains, I qualified and finished 2nd in the D main with a best lap of 14.1. I got taken out on the first lap in heavy traffic, so had to make a mad dash from last to second, just not enough time to catch first. The car felt amazing though, and was only limited by my own lack of experience. I absolutely love how responsive it is to adjustments.

Overall I had a complete blast and counting the days until next year. Big thanks to the Awesomatix USA team for helping me out with parts that I never imagined I would have needed. I would have been dead in the water without them. I also got a chance to meet Kyle Bergstrom which finished 3rd in the A-Main of mod. Super nice guy, and was quite a pleasure to meet him after using his setup sheets as a starting point for nearly every race I've entered my Evo 2. Congrats Kyle!
Attached Thumbnails Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)-kylebergstromrroc2015.jpg  

Last edited by WesRaven; 05-26-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.