Search

12th Scale Pan Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default 12th Scale Pan Car

Hey,
I wanna get into the world of 12th scale and EP. I have raced EP Buggies in the pasted but i went back to my true love 1.8th buggy nitro.

I just want to know what size motor do you need for a starter?
Also is there a special motor or can you one that will fit a 1/10th scale?

Thanks for your help!
Jono
Old 11-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Addict

Same motor's as 1/10.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by FOXY923
Same motor's as 1/10.
Ok thanks a lot.... What about ESC and Servo??
Sorry for the newbie questions
Old 11-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

esc is the same but servo's are smaller. There are a few brands you can chose from but I don't know the part numbers.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

For speed control I'd choose the Tekin products. Tekin speed controls have some of the smallest footprints, very important in 1/12 scale. I've run the FX Pro when running brushed, and now I run brushless so I have the RS Pro in my 1/12 scale. As for servo, I currently run a Futaba 9602 servo. It's reliable and durable. I'm going to switch to a digital servo, so the Futaba 9650 is going to be my next servo purchase. The best advice I can give you is don't nickle and dime yourself into a corner. I've seen too many racers buy some really cheap equipment to "just get started" only to be disappointed in the performance of the product. One of two things happens next; they upgrade to the better product they should have bought costing more money in the long run, or they get discouraged and sell the car. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Thanks a lot for that... Helped me a lot!

I have been in RC for 5 years now i and remember when i started my buggy racing i did what you said don't do... Got a crappy car and stuff and now 5 years later racing one of the best buggy's around and motor etc. Waste of money at the start, but hey learn from your mistakes.

I was looking at a D12 or Yokomo... But i wouldn't mind seeing how much the new Xray will cost. I love xray products.

Thanks again!
Jono
Old 11-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Hi , i also would like to get into 12th but i have a TC EP car ( HB cyclone )
And are the servo the same size , can i put my TC servo in my 12th car .
Wich car would be god to get.
Also , are the rollout the same on evry car , im going to run a lrp 5.5 , what rollout should i use , wich pinion with wich gear .
What can you adjust on 12 th , toe camber caster roll center , sorry for all these question but im new to 12th .
Thanks in advance
Old 11-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Hi , i also would like to get into 12th but i have a TC EP car ( HB cyclone )
And are the servo the same size , can i put my TC servo in my 12th car .
Wich car would be god to get.
Also , are the rollout the same on evry car , im going to run a lrp 5.5 , what rollout should i use , wich pinion with wich gear .
What can you adjust on 12 th , toe camber caster roll center , sorry for all these question but im new to 12th .
Thanks in advance
A TC Servo is just to big to fit in a 12th so you need a Futaba 9650 or KO 949, roll out on a LRP 5.5t depends on which armature your using.

5.5t Bonded 31 - 32mm per rev
Sintered 12 - 12.5 - 13mm vary i'm running a 12.5 at 37.6mmpr on a full sized national track.

hope this helps
Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jono mad racer
Thanks a lot for that... Helped me a lot!

I have been in RC for 5 years now i and remember when i started my buggy racing i did what you said don't do... Got a crappy car and stuff and now 5 years later racing one of the best buggy's around and motor etc. Waste of money at the start, but hey learn from your mistakes.

I was looking at a D12 or Yokomo... But i wouldn't mind seeing how much the new Xray will cost. I love xray products.

Thanks again!
Jono
there is no crappy 12th car, they are all capable of winning an A final in the right hands. "12th scale is all about setup and ability and not about equipment"

BMI DB12R probably the easiest car to setup and race.....
Old 11-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

So , it means that i have to get a new servo ?
Will a GTB with heatsink and fan fit in any 12th car?
Could you tell me everything you can adjust on a 12th car , like in TC you can adjust ride height or toe or camber or caster or roll center or ....
is it possible to do all this in 12th scale ?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
So , it means that i have to get a new servo ?
Will a GTB with heatsink and fan fit in any 12th car?
Could you tell me everything you can adjust on a 12th car , like in TC you can adjust ride height or toe or camber or caster or roll center or ....
is it possible to do all this in 12th scale ?
Yes, you'll need an new mini servo not a standard size servo. The GTB w/ fan, etc. will not fit because the heatsink/fan is too tall to fit under the body. So you'll need a new esc aswell or you could remove the hs/fan (at your own risk), better to buy a new esc. Yes you can adjust all of those things on a 1/12.
E
Old 11-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EricF
Yes, you'll need an new mini servo not a standard size servo. The GTB w/ fan, etc. will not fit because the heatsink/fan is too tall to fit under the body. So you'll need a new esc aswell or you could remove the hs/fan (at your own risk), better to buy a new esc. Yes you can adjust all of those things on a 1/12.
E
I dont understand why you said " at your own risk to take off the h/s " ?
is droop adjustable ?
How can i adjust roll center in front and rear ?
or how can i change ride height ?
Old 11-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

the hs/fan can be removed but you'll need to put an alum plate back for the heatsink. some people have done it but it's not my cup of tea.

droop is adjusted by the length of the rear shock for pod droop and in the front it's adjusted by adding or removing shims from the top of the kingpin. ride height is changed by adding spacers under the front suspension arm and in the rear it's done by changing the cham(sp) blocks that place the axle lower or higher relative to the surface.
E
Old 11-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EricF
the hs/fan can be removed but you'll need to put an alum plate back for the heatsink. some people have done it but it's not my cup of tea.

droop is adjusted by the length of the rear shock for pod droop and in the front it's adjusted by adding or removing shims from the top of the kingpin. ride height is changed by adding spacers under the front suspension arm and in the rear it's done by changing the cham(sp) blocks that place the axle lower or higher relative to the surface.
E

But, whats the kingpin ?

If i ad spacers under the front spacer, will it change roll center ?
Is roll center adjustable in the rear or front ?
Whats the champ , do you have any pics?
Sorry for all these stupid question .
Old 11-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Champion

Kingpin is the pin that goes through the suspension pivots and the steering block.

Some cars have an adjustable roll center in the front. The Speed Merchant front end can adjust the roll center by raising or lowering the upper suspension links. Most don't have that adjustment though. I guess doing a long upper arm conversion would change the roll center in the front as the relative angle of the upper arm to lower would change. At the rear you can change the roll center by changing the height of the pivot points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.