5) B) Safety reasons

6) A) Saturday

7) True

8) False

Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

1. B (asphalt), as long as its electric only
2. B (boards, flappers), change is good.
3. True (AC), as long as traction doesn't suffer but depends how much more
4. Depends how big the track is
5. A (low)
6. Saturday
7. True
8. True (and potential more heats per class)
Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the biggest thing about drivers stands that I have found is most are way too close to the track. trackside, halo hobbies, cefx, the gate, hobby chambers, IRP, IIC vegas 2006/2007, hobby world, TFB Hobbies, yes Todd even hobby plex was too close. 4 to 6 foot back from the edge of the carpet is a good start. that can make or break a "good experience" at a track. how many times have you been to a track and had to scream "don't lean!!!!" I understand building constraints but I would rather have a 4' shorter track and not have to look through the guy's radio next to me to see a corner. our local track is 4' from the carpet for a reason. I did the layout.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

1) I would rather have,,, A) a typical flat carpet track. or B) a rolling (elevation changes) asphalt track
2) I would rather have,,, A) permanent curbing. or B) typical boards and flappers.

3) I would pay more to race if the pit area is air conditioned. True or False

4) I like a driver stand to be,,, A) 5ft high B) 7ft high C) 9ft high at the platform.

5) I like the driver stand handrail to be,,, A) low and out of the way B) high enough to lean forward on
6) The best day for me to race on is usually,,, A) Saturday B) Sunday

7) I feel that big events should have a cap on entries and be limited to three days in length,,, True or False

8) I would like to see race promoters/hosts limit the classes the cater to in order to create larger classes,,, True or False
Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Interesting, everyone says Saturday overr Sunday yet our local indoor track has always been Sunday. Wish they would change that. Guess that allows the oval guys to watch NASCAR on Sunday. Thats the reason I've heard.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Tag
I just wish covered drivers stands had room for my antenna.....
people still use antenna's?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Ever wanted to design the perfect indoor on road track/facility? Maybe you can. Answer each of the following questions and who knows maybe your wants will become reality.

1) I would rather have,,, A) a typical flat carpet track. or B) a rolling (elevation changes) asphalt track

2) I would rather have,,, A) permanent curbing. or B) typical boards and flappers.

3) I would pay more to race if the pit area is air conditioned. True or False

4) I like a driver stand to be,,, A) 5ft high B) 7ft high C) 9ft high at the platform.

5) I like the driver stand handrail to be,,, A) low and out of the way B) high enough to lean forward on

6) The best day for me to race on is usually,,, A) Saturday B) Sunday

7) I feel that big events should have a cap on entries and be limited to three days in length,,, True or False

8) I would like to see race promoters/hosts limit the classes the cater to in order to create larger classes,,, True or False
1. flat asphalt track
2. half and half. some perm. curbs (like carousels, and some flappers)
3. True
4. B
5. B
6. A
7. True
8. True
Old 08-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

1. A
2. A
3. True
4. B
5. B
6. B
7. True
8. True

Anyway we got a very good track at ''THE ROCK''

Starteur
Old 08-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Interesting, everyone says Saturday overr Sunday yet our local indoor track has always been Sunday. Wish they would change that. Guess that allows the oval guys to watch NASCAR on Sunday. Thats the reason I've heard.
I too find that one interesting.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
the biggest thing about drivers stands that I have found is most are way too close to the track. trackside, halo hobbies, cefx, the gate, hobby chambers, IRP, IIC vegas 2006/2007, hobby world, TFB Hobbies, yes Todd even hobby plex was too close. 4 to 6 foot back from the edge of the carpet is a good start. that can make or break a "good experience" at a track. how many times have you been to a track and had to scream "don't lean!!!!" I understand building constraints but I would rather have a 4' shorter track and not have to look through the guy's radio next to me to see a corner. our local track is 4' from the carpet for a reason. I did the layout.
+1
Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The best of both worlds:

Timezone Racing, Battle Ground Wasington

Timezone Raceway Park " on-road outdoor european style road course.

Timezone II 60'x100' indoor carpet track

info at www.timezoneracing.com
Old 08-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C_O_jones
The best of both worlds:

Timezone Racing, Battle Ground Wasington

Timezone Raceway Park " on-road outdoor european style road course.

Timezone II 60'x100' indoor carpet track

info at www.timezoneracing.com
oh yah?? yah? we have tamiya. oh wait. its closing. you GUYS SUCK

btw.. you coming down for TCS?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1.) B - Elevation changes on asphault would rock (if I ever win the lotto i'm building a scale version of Laguna Seca)

2.) Hybrid with flexibility to modify layout

3.) True as long as it's reasonable

4.) A

5.) B

6.) A

7.) True

8.) True
Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Funny thing I was just talking to my wife about "IF I Had a million dollars, BareNakedLadies was playing in the backround just before we headed out to walk our dog Axle.

And I began to talk about building a indoor, asphalt track.

I would build an indoor asphalt track with some "Green" Twist.

The hobby shop will need to be on a spearate climate control system. The idea is to have the track as passively cooled and heated as possible.

The Asphalt would be recycled: Recliamed asphalt, crushed glass and recycled rubber. About 5% of the total mix would have to be new Asphalt, to ensure good binding.

Under the asphalt could be a radiant tubing, but would be real expensive if the indoor track was to be "unconditioned" If thoughts were made to add heating and cooling the track, the cost would be marginaly higher.

The radiant tubing could be heated through the use of solar collectors. The pumps would be solar powered. The collectors should be oriented for the most winter gain, and least summer gain. This would allow for the track to be warm (80ish) while the interior could be a comfortable 72 since the track is heating the airspace.The track could be also be heated by a backup highefficiency boiler system, instead of natural gas furance air furance.

Passive solar gains to heat the building could also be incorprated by clerestories. A reflector/difuser could project light/heat to the track surface during the winter months eliminating the demands on the radiant heating system. Clerestories would prevent direct sunlight entering the building during the summer months, but will allow ambient light in. Cutting the cost of Lighting during daylight hours.

To cool, I would use a heat chimney to draw in fresh cool air. By having the clerestories window open, and intake vents near the ground level opened also. Or just adding powered or passive vents to the top. Less heat gain will happen if the roof is a "green" roof with grasses ontop or heat reflective glazed sheet metal

Planting trees and shrubs near the building can also prevent heat gains during the summer and provide a cooler intake air for the passive cooling

Just my thoughts if I had a million dollars. Drivers stand height is a function of track size. Bigger, means higher. Make the track flat and smooth. Plan for a hybird layout where is a constant layout but also unpainted sections and movable boards so the track can change, maybe into a OVAL track. Pitti cooling is critical!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

What a weird thread. Clearly the dog days of summer are upon us. Breaks up the monotony though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.