Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comm drops

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Regular

Default Comm drops

as I am still in the learning-a-lot-phase, I have heard talking about comm drops but I do not know what these actually are.

I've heard they are good for running in a motor, they can be used to make your engine run better and it even isn't clear to me yet, if these comm drops are legit to use.
I suppose they are some very-high-conductivity liquid ... but have found no info on them yet. ANd strangely enough, even when I pose questions about it, to fellow drivers, the info I get is very vague.
So I have some questions about comm drops:

1. What a kind of product is it and what is the purpose of it?
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the use of these comm drops
3. Is it dangerous to use them?
4. Is it within rules to use these liquids?
5. any other tips?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does give you a slight preformace increase,but in saying that its not for very long at all as it soon burns up so is a waste of time if you want to make your motor more conductive just polish your comm
Old 11-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

2. They give you a slight performance gain. There aren't really any disadvantages that I can think of.
3. No.
4. As far as I know there aren't any rules for any class that outlaws the use of comm drops.
5. The most noticable performance gains that you will notice on a brushed motor is when you cut the comm and replace brushes often. You can use comm drops, cut motors, replace brushes, use bushing/bearing oil, and comm drops to get the best performance out of your motor. I use comm drops when cutting my motor as well.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Low_E
1. What a kind of product is it and what is the purpose of it?
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the use of these comm drops
3. Is it dangerous to use them?
4. Is it within rules to use these liquids?
5. any other tips?
1. From my limited research, comm drops are just diesel oil. They lubricate the comm and that is about it.
2. Lubing the comm reduces friction and increases rpm.
3. No danger, but they can make the comm dirty as it's oil, which attracts dirt.
4. Sure
5. They are typically used to help break in brushes as they probably soften the brush material a little (like water). I've been told they should be washed out with motor spray before actual running...