Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hammer10

That turned out AWESOME!!! Looks very similar to the Calypso Coral FoMoCo color. I'll have to start backing my bodies with black
Thanks! Just make sure to hit it with WHITE first, then black. And, I only put enough black on to cover it. It doesn't have to be uniform or perfect, just adequate. If you skip the white, it will darken the orange. If that's your goal, great.

I save my trim scraps when I'm cutting out bodies to use for practice. And, I always cut my bodies out first and then paint them. I know many painters don't do that. Especially those guys who professionally paint because it saves them a ton of time. But, then you run the risk of scratching your paint job with the tips of the scissors. It just makes sense to me to cut first, paint second.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Thanks! Just make sure to hit it with WHITE first, then black. And, I only put enough black on to cover it. It doesn't have to be uniform or perfect, just adequate. If you skip the white, it will darken the orange. If that's your goal, great.

I save my trim scraps when I'm cutting out bodies to use for practice. And, I always cut my bodies out first and then paint them. I know many painters don't do that. Especially those guys who professionally paint because it saves them a ton of time. But, then you run the risk of scratching your paint job with the tips of the scissors. It just makes sense to me to cut first, paint second.
Got it, WHITE first then BLACK. Thanks for the tip One quick question, how do you get the bumpers' chrome so smooth? I've had problems in the past with HPI's chrome stickers, so I just paint them silver on the inside
Old 09-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
No, not at all...its not house paint dude!

5 airbrushed coats. Faskolor paints require at least a couple of light coats to get a good base color. The neons are even worse. The white is just enough to cover as is the black.

VTA requires a minimum weight of 1550 grams anyway. Many have to add weight to get to their car to legal weight.
plus it looks killer with the inside black.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Champion

Default 2011 USVTA SOUTHERN NATIONALS IN MUSIC CITY,USA

ITS COMING....2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET THEM CONCOURSE READY!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Wow great Cars Guys!!

Im New here, just getting back into some R/C cars but let me say this, you guys all have some awesome paint jobs LOVE EM not a one looks bad.

As a fellow VTA lover myself I figured i would let you all know about a PC racing game that you can get for free and add the VTA mod that myself and a friend made back in 2001-2 or so, This is a true Vintage Trans Am Add on Mod for Nascar Heat Essentials there is only two fitional cars in the mod the rest were designed from real VTA cars and paint schemes Make sure to check it out my And some of my muscle cars,,

IF you want to get and install this game just google Nascar Heat Essentials you should find a site called the mod squad and texas speed racing which will have links and downloads for everything needed as well as discussion forums for help and info,, I hope the mod squad is stil there i havent checked in a year or so.

Since this is a paint/body thread if you want to paint these cars for the game you can if you also find the templates. PM me if you are lost or admins feel free to delete my post if this is spam and or breaking up the "paint" discussions or whatever, that was not my intentions, im sure you guys wont mind.

Again LOVE YOUR CARS GUYS! Great Works!

Heres some pics of VTA for Nascar Heat
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vta-2.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-vta-1.jpg  
Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

NICE
Old 09-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Looking for a vinyl mask set for the Pegasus Boss body. I need 2 sets of the Gurney Shelby Racing #2 please. PM me with a price. I'd rather not free hand this and make it look bad. Especially the "C" stripe.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Suspended

Love the split bumper Camaro man!! Im gettin my HPI 68 camaro painted an old school mobil 1 racing scheme. Pegasus on the hood blue white body with red detail can't wait. I love the VTA series.!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

my new challenger. nothing fancy.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Tech Champion

I like that
Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andyh
Testors Model Masters Custom Laquer System #28134 Flat Black.

You can use the entire line for Lexan, we (HPI) use it for 60% of our display bodies. They have some really cool GM, Ford, etc real colors also

http://www.testors.com/catalog_brand...br=4&ictNbr=95

Thanks,

AH

What body/part number is this?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
What body/part number is this?
Thats the HPI 68 Camaro.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Any idea what the colors are?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

I pm'd andyh about it a long time ago, I went through and this is what he told me after I asked him:

Tamiya Frost Red PS37 backed with either chrome or bright silver (I've tried both and the chrome gives off a finer shine, unfortunately I don't recall on this one, the body has since been turned into a runner and it's mia ) We need to get Testors to make this color... Basically it's the king of RC/Lexan safe Candy Apple Red.

The Flat Black and white is Testors Custom Laquer System Flat Black and Wimbledon White (woo hoo Wimbledon White in a can.....yes after having to mix it nine million times over when we first came out with the GT350 )

We also always back all our photo/catalog bodies with black (...complicates things if there is a white section, you will have to make sure the white is 100% and backed with silver). Basically it looks much better in photos as you don't see the colors inside through the windows and also if there are angled shot by the wheel cutouts etc...
I had a copy of that body for a while, looked like this:

Last edited by Rocky8333; 09-23-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Im going to guess a Candy Red or just Transparent Red backed with Chrome, then of course black and white.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.