Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advices on tb01

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default Advices on tb01

hi, i am new to rc and just got a tamiya tb01 last nite... will appriciate that u guys provide me some settings or any 'cheap' stuff is worth to change on this model... Thanks in advance...
Old 07-09-2003, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

If it isn't one of the versions with full ball bearings, fit them. If it has a mechanical speed controller, it's worth replacing it with a decent quality electronic one. Everything else is fine for a beginner out of the box.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

hi, thanks for ur advice... it is already full ball bearing, for the speed controller (is it the servo?), i think is mechanical one... is it a big diff after changing the speed controller? do i need to change the motor, it is a stock one (23 turns if not wrong)?

Besides that, my fren had try his rc with 9.6V battery, its much faster than using the 7.2V battery, will the 9.6V spoil the motor or the speed controller?
Old 07-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

speed controller is in simpler terms the speed box...controls the current...the servo is the thing that makes it steer and controls the mechanical speed control...i dun't remember my TB01 comint with a mechanical speed control...but maybe it does...the speed box allows you to hav better driving i think...cuz the speed of accel is depended on ur MCS servo...and if the servo isn't the top...it'll be a bit slower...ESC also allows you to hav a faster motor...and the one that comes with it is a 32T i think....something around the 30's. i would havto say 7.2v is enough...if you hav more batts it may last longer...but your car would also be heavier...using more power and i dun't think the MSC can handle it (dunno). most ESC's handle 4.8v-8.4 and the mid range is probably when the ESC runs at it's closest ideal conditions (factory specs). i had the TB01 and it ran pretty nice compared to my first car TL01...so much smoother and lower...which kit did you get ur TB01? (the shell)...most cases the rims that will come with ur car will break really fast...so i suggest that when they break...get a set of 24mm wheels...at first they seem to be too sensitive and flip alot...but once you get use to it...it's much better than 26mms...but also depends where you drive...hope this helps
Old 07-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Tech Adept

i just got the tb01 subaru imprezza prototype1... the motor is 32T?? told by the shopkeeper that is 23T ... cheated by him... anyway, it is quite fast to me currently... haha... now the problem is just wanna to get a ESC to replace the MSC... saw a ESC that support as low as 18T, cost $70(sing dollor), is it worth to upgrade or get a better ESC that can support lower T motor? besides that, what type of tire is good for it? thanks.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

if i were you...i'd get one to go to 13 or something...the futaba mc320 goes to that...that was my first ESC...see if u go down there you won't hav to keep buying new ones....see my friend started before me...he had 4 ESC...i only hav 3 (because one broke) he had one that goes to 18...one that goes to 15 and one that goes to 13 and another to 10...why not just get one to 13?? just incase u wanna get a bit faster! cuz if ur driving on the road...fast is all that matters!

but also...getting something not "pro" might cause some problems later on...but hey...it's cause u crash....and not worth buying pro yet...not sure how much 70 sing is in hk...but the mc320 is like...300 hk? something like that...so then if ur doing street driving...drag races with ur friend...you can use a higher T motor! dunno what the shop keeper gave you...but im pretty sure the metal can is 32T
Old 07-10-2003, 08:50 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Silvercan Mabuchi RS540SH motor as supplied in Tamiya kits are *always* 27-turn, 0-degree advance. Tamiya's Mabuchi motors always have green & yellow wires.

HK$300 is about SG$60... about 5:1.

However HK prices are always very cheap compared to the rest of the world... estimate Futaba MC330R would be about $85-120 in SG; the MC230R is about $70 I think.

Ask around the hobbyshops, there are lots in Sg.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

hi... thanks for ur advices... may consider to get a lower T ESC... is it the lower T ESC the more expansive? hope can get one next month...

r the pinion and spur gear can be change without changing motor? or must change with the motor? the package has came with 3 spur gear and only 1 is suitable for the original motor... is there a fix ratio for gear (original is 9.6:1, how can i know it can be upgarded to fastest ratio for the motor)? what ration is good??
Old 07-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

fastest may not be the best...see unlike real cars....our cars can't shift gears....lower gears in a car hav good accell...so u start with those...then you move to higher gears for speed....for r/c fast means slower accel...and depending on what track you are on...accel might be more important...but for street racing...i think both are crucial...best would be somewhere inbetween leaning on what you think is more important

just my 20 cents (.02 cents in the states...but in hk 20 cents!)

ps. how old are you?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:15 PM
WC
Tech Master

Like David says, bigger pinion will give you higher top speed but lesser acceleration.

The TB01 can use max 25t pinion (you can buy extra pinions) with the smallest spur gear (3 provided in your kit). Make sure you use the correct A/B/C/D pair of holes to screw the motor on when you change the pinion - check your manual.

The silvercan will give quite impressive top speed with this max gearing. This is called "gearing Up" and the RS540SH actually likes high gearing.

With other motors, especially hot Modified motors, be very careful not to Overgear them. Overgearing them will make them run very hot & inefficient, and you'll easily destroy motor/ESC/battery. With mod motors, I wouldn't try anything more than a 21-22t pinion and that's on a VERY big track!!
Old 07-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

wow...21-22 with mod? i run 11T mod (tamiya one) with 30 pinion...90/30 times 2.6...um...7.8 but my track is huge
Old 07-11-2003, 12:39 AM
WC
Tech Master

Davioh:- pls rethink what your above reply... my pinion/gearing is based on the standard "AV" Tamiya gears, which are 0.6mod. Please do remember we're talking about standard TB01 here, not the Evolutions...

There is no such thing as a 30t AV pinion, that'll be ~3cm in diameter. The biggest AV pinion Tamiya makes is only 25t!! And that, I think that gives about 5:1 overall ratio already.

blixelX:- you using stock standard TB01 gears, right??
Old 07-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

oh...hehe my bad...
Old 07-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

yah... everythings are standard/ stock.... dunno where to start to modify... still learning from u guys... u 2 r really helpful... thanks again here...

anyway, may i know how old r u guys, i am 26 here... quite old to start rc, rite? but the problem is now then i can afford it... haha...
Old 07-11-2003, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

yah... my rim had broken last nite, looking for new one... any recommendation?? the stock one semms very fragile ler... just a small hit and its gone... so sad...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.