Community
Wiki Posts
Search

orion 30C lipo!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm more concerned with if they'll hold a high voltage under a 30A discharge load than a new C rating.

the last lipo pack I bought has a 10C rating but a high mAh rating, so it holds up very well under the load that it faces.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The great thing abou the new "C" rating marketing is that unlike Capacity,IR,Run time and AVERAGE voltage none of us can at this point cycle to test or prove we are gettting what we are sold...

So its very intresting to see this pack come out at 30C just 2C higher then SMC's latest packs.... I guess its going to be a matter of trust..

Personally i would like to see MATCHED LIPO numbers on our packs, as i had said way back when the lipo bandwagon started up would eventualy come back.(you know back when they where maint free,plug and play with no voodoo???? That early adoptors told us would not return because of the differences between lipo and nihm chemistry.)

With cycle numbers the C-rating would be part of it but for our applications a matchign process at 35amps with all the usual data would be ideal for what we need...

I think moving forward there will be demand for standardized testing/matching to show what inside as apposed to glossy logo decals stating that all 20 packs behind the counter are the same... SMC is already doing that now with there packs... Giving the consumer a chance to compare before buying...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Arn't capacitors rated like 10,000C? Sucks the capacity is little.

Back on topic Yes "C" sells, but who is verifying these numbers? Really, can I just take my Lead-Acid Starter battery tester and crank it it 100A and expect the cell to last 4min of abuse.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
leo, when will u have stock?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Team Tekin

It is just not that easy. There is nothing in RC that is constant load and there is no place that we draw 35amps for any length of time. Under a constant load of 35amps the Discharge rating does not come into play and is not being verified… nor should it be on every pack. Just because a battery is rated to provide 30C or will provide 120amps does not mean it is good for it. Discharge rates basically define heat limits at MAX constant discharge rates. Max constant loads to 100% depth of discharge are the worst thing you can do to a battery you want ultimate performance from them for any length of time.

For most it comes down to value. The larger packs and higher discharge rates do get a little spendy since it was $50 to $70 for a good nimh pack and now it is $70 to $125 for lipo which make cycle life more important.

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 05-10-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

When will these be available here in the U.S.?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Molala3
leo, when will u have stock?
Yes today was release free shipping now !
http://rcmarket.com.hk/
Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think that cycling the pack at 35 amps is perfect but it's a start. It would be nice if the LiPo players in RC would get together and come up with a test scheme for packs.

With that said, I think that most of the packs perform pretty well on the track regardless of the voltage. With the resistance that the LiPo cells have I think it's more about gearing than voltage.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fred_B
I don't think that cycling the pack at 35 amps is perfect but it's a start. It would be nice if the LiPo players in RC would get together and come up with a test scheme for packs.

With that said, I think that most of the packs perform pretty well on the track regardless of the voltage. With the resistance that the LiPo cells have I think it's more about gearing than voltage.
yes ,
do you have tester Li-Po IR ?

& Japan RC Magazine had posted Orion 30C & 20C ,Atlas Li-Po , A123 , NiMh 4000 ,4600 ,3300 battery ...
in 23T motor tested , had 1C charge time , run time & best lap time ...

best lap is Orion 30C
Old 06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Bench racing "C" ratings is like bench racing voltage out on the third decimal place.... Have a good quality product and have some faith in it. Crash one fewer times and you'll more then make up the time/money spent chasing the newest battery.

Ben