Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdling
Try a different motor. Also, are all the bearings in the car healthy? A failed bearing can feel fine in the pits ut when in use become hot and jam up causing a 'loss of power'.
Only two things that allow performance to fade that I know of, one is excessive motor heat due to gearing or set-up, and the other is a battery not up to the amount your pulling out of it. Now if the motor is new, could it be gearing, could be, I do not run a set-up like you have posted, but you should be able to tell. It could also be the wiring from the battery or the battery as you run it. Somtimes, you just need more battery.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Default Motor Temp.

I was a the track the other day air temperture was in the mid 60's, my first time on the track my FDR was 6.6 after 6 minutes motor temp was 101*. My next time out I changed my FDR to 6.3 and my motor temp was 108*, I was the only person on the track so I had no one to base my speed but I think the FDR for our track is @ 6.6, ESC settings:

Boost: 45, Turbo: 12, Start RPM: 5000, End RPM: 17000, Turbo Delay: .06, Turbo Ramp: 2 (Motor Tekin 17.5 Timing 8*)

Turbo Delay was .3, I changed it because Turbo was kicking in at the end of a short straight.

My question, what should be the order of change to get my motor up to temperture? FDR first, then Boost/ Turbo, Motor Timing, Turbo Ramp, End RPM
Old 10-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

I don't go by temperature. Lower temp with good speed is better to me than shooting for a given temperature range.

Did it sound or feel like the motor was winding out on the long straight?

Settings look alright, and I just double checked my gearing, I'm at a 6.0FDR for the asphalt track, and my motor [D3] comes off around 145 or less.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

like harry said it looks good,how long of a straight is it
Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
like harry said it looks good,how long of a straight is it
Depends on the layout, we run the same asphalt track, typical straight is usually around 150' with an almost flat out sweeper at the end, sometimes it's tight getting on the straight, sometimes there's a moderate sweeper.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My temps are never over 140 when boosted. Like the others have said, gear for performance. If your temps are low and you are still fast, that is major bonus. Heat is the enemy. Period.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sandsurfer
I'm running an rs with a trinity 17.5 and after about 4 laps (1 1/2 min) it loses pretty much all power. I changed the sensor wire, re-calibrated 3 or 4 times, reinstalled 212, tried different batteries and used different model memory on radio all with the same result. Everything worked fine during practice.

5.68 FDR
Controller Settings
Sensored
Throttle profile 3
Drag brake 5
Min brake 10
Min throttle 10
Brake strength 86
Neutral width 8
Push control 0ff
Boost 42
Start end rpm 3030 – 16000
Turbo 17, delay .30, ramp 2

Any ideas on what may be causing this issue? My last thought is to try a new cap.

Thanks in advance, Gary
What voltage are you using 1s or 2s ?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
My temps are never over 140 when boosted. Like the others have said, gear for performance. If your temps are low and you are still fast, that is major bonus. Heat is the enemy. Period.
I understand what you saying about gearing for performance. When do you stop gearing up and start adjusting your ESC to improve performance?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bubblehead
I understand what you saying about gearing for performance. When do you stop gearing up and start adjusting your ESC to improve performance?
Honestly, I'll change my gear only after changing my boost profile doesn't seem to make a difference where I want it to.

If my boost is maxed out and my turbo is as high as I'm comfortable with and I'm getting walked on the straight, I'll add a tooth or two to the pinion.

If I want more rip on corner exit and adjusting my motor timing and/or start RPM isn't doing it for me, I'll drop a tooth or two.

Might not be the most scientific method.

So, in your case, I would say [again] that your profile looks pretty good, so the next time you can compare to another boosted car on the track, see where you think you're lacking and adjust your gearing accordingly.

BTW: Multiple 8 minute runs today, plenty fast, 124*F motor temp. I expect that to be around 140* on a prepped track raceday.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

This is gonna sound like a really newbie question, but I have to admit the gearing side of boosted speedies is confusing me a bit... but how are most of you deciding what gearing to start with?

I'll be running an RS with a tekin 17.5 at an event in a couple of weeks... most of the setups I've read recently have a 17.5 at around 6 FDR... crazy thing is I was run an SP 8.5 on the same track with a 6.3 FDR and I was wondering if it could go further down... other settings were -

boost - 50
Start RPM - I don't remember but around 10000
End RPM - 25000
throttle profile - 3
no turbo

ESC temp was about 4 lights, and motor never above 60C

main straight is around 40m with a fast sweeper leading onto it... rest of the track is quite technical but reasonably fast.

My quandary is the gearing... if I am to believe what I've read the gearing for the 17.5 is not going to be much different from the 8.5 I was running and that doesn't feel right to me, but maybe age is catching up with me
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

I suspect you're getting away with a relatively high gear on your 8.5 due to your high start RPM. Temperature isn't bad, and if you don't feel you're hurting on speed anywhere, then it's hard to say you're doing it wrong, but I do think you're probably leaving some acceleration and speed on the table with that gearing.

With any boosted profile, gearing and profiles are very much a personal preference thing, and starting on a profile from scratch takes a lot of testing.

On a large straight track, I would expect to see a car top out before half-straightaway with no boost when geared "correctly", and then make up for loss of acceleration on the rest of the straight with boost. That being said, if the car is geared so light that you can't get traction coming off the corners, going lighter on the gearing also doesn't make a lot of sense.

I prefer a fairly smooth acceleration, no nitro style second gear look to the car, which you have to tune in with your start and end RPM settings.

I haven't run an 8.5 in a TC, but I do remember gearing around 7.1 or so with a boosted 10.5.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShadowAu
This is gonna sound like a really newbie question, but I have to admit the gearing side of boosted speedies is confusing me a bit... but how are most of you deciding what gearing to start with?

I'll be running an RS with a tekin 17.5 at an event in a couple of weeks... most of the setups I've read recently have a 17.5 at around 6 FDR... crazy thing is I was run an SP 8.5 on the same track with a 6.3 FDR and I was wondering if it could go further down... other settings were -

boost - 50
Start RPM - I don't remember but around 10000
End RPM - 25000
throttle profile - 3
no turbo

ESC temp was about 4 lights, and motor never above 60C

main straight is around 40m with a fast sweeper leading onto it... rest of the track is quite technical but reasonably fast.

My quandary is the gearing... if I am to believe what I've read the gearing for the 17.5 is not going to be much different from the 8.5 I was running and that doesn't feel right to me, but maybe age is catching up with me
8.5 fdr for a 17.5t motor is way off, 10000 start is not good either, it seems that your speedo is getting the heat and not your motor.

Try fdr of 6 and start rpm at 5500
Old 10-08-2011, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by olly986
8.5 fdr for a 17.5t motor is way off, 10000 start is not good either, it seems that your speedo is getting the heat and not your motor.

Try fdr of 6 and start rpm at 5500
I think you're mixing up some of the figures... I don't mention an 8.5 FDR anywhere and the ESC settings I gave are for an 8.5T motor not a 17.5..
Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
I suspect you're getting away with a relatively high gear on your 8.5 due to your high start RPM. Temperature isn't bad, and if you don't feel you're hurting on speed anywhere, then it's hard to say you're doing it wrong, but I do think you're probably leaving some acceleration and speed on the table with that gearing.

With any boosted profile, gearing and profiles are very much a personal preference thing, and starting on a profile from scratch takes a lot of testing.

On a large straight track, I would expect to see a car top out before half-straightaway with no boost when geared "correctly", and then make up for loss of acceleration on the rest of the straight with boost. That being said, if the car is geared so light that you can't get traction coming off the corners, going lighter on the gearing also doesn't make a lot of sense.

I prefer a fairly smooth acceleration, no nitro style second gear look to the car, which you have to tune in with your start and end RPM settings.

I haven't run an 8.5 in a TC, but I do remember gearing around 7.1 or so with a boosted 10.5.

Hope that helps.
to be honest acceleration was a bit "aggressive" with a bit of hesitation... which I think might have had a bit to do with my neutral width as well... as for top speed it probably was a little lacking over what I expected but not substantially
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Apparently running 12th mod and 12th 17.5 requires two cars for some but if one we're to run one car is it hard to change the profile from mod to 17.5 for 12th with the RS Pro

The Pro works for 12th mod correct? Lowest turn it will allow for 12th mod? We're their any guys in the 12th mod running the pro at the IIC

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.