R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #21121
Tech Regular
 
Dragula426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 351
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdling View Post
Try a different motor. Also, are all the bearings in the car healthy? A failed bearing can feel fine in the pits ut when in use become hot and jam up causing a 'loss of power'.
Only two things that allow performance to fade that I know of, one is excessive motor heat due to gearing or set-up, and the other is a battery not up to the amount your pulling out of it. Now if the motor is new, could it be gearing, could be, I do not run a set-up like you have posted, but you should be able to tell. It could also be the wiring from the battery or the battery as you run it. Somtimes, you just need more battery.
__________________
Team Tekin
Jeffery Racing Concepts
Little 'O' Speedway
Extreme Graffix
Dragula426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #21122
Tech Addict
 
Bubblehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 708
Default Motor Temp.

I was a the track the other day air temperture was in the mid 60's, my first time on the track my FDR was 6.6 after 6 minutes motor temp was 101*. My next time out I changed my FDR to 6.3 and my motor temp was 108*, I was the only person on the track so I had no one to base my speed but I think the FDR for our track is @ 6.6, ESC settings:

Boost: 45, Turbo: 12, Start RPM: 5000, End RPM: 17000, Turbo Delay: .06, Turbo Ramp: 2 (Motor Tekin 17.5 Timing 8*)

Turbo Delay was .3, I changed it because Turbo was kicking in at the end of a short straight.


My question, what should be the order of change to get my motor up to temperture? FDR first, then Boost/ Turbo, Motor Timing, Turbo Ramp, End RPM
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #21123
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

I don't go by temperature. Lower temp with good speed is better to me than shooting for a given temperature range.

Did it sound or feel like the motor was winding out on the long straight?

Settings look alright, and I just double checked my gearing, I'm at a 6.0FDR for the asphalt track, and my motor [D3] comes off around 145 or less.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #21124
Tech Lord
 
20 SMOKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HVR_ WEEKI WACHEE FL
Posts: 10,299
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default

like harry said it looks good,how long of a straight is it
__________________
Jamie W
*Team Tekin*Tekno-rc*DE Racing*AKA*DDHRC*
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #21125
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
like harry said it looks good,how long of a straight is it
Depends on the layout, we run the same asphalt track, typical straight is usually around 150' with an almost flat out sweeper at the end, sometimes it's tight getting on the straight, sometimes there's a moderate sweeper.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #21126
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,582
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

My temps are never over 140 when boosted. Like the others have said, gear for performance. If your temps are low and you are still fast, that is major bonus. Heat is the enemy. Period.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #21127
Tech Adept
 
Monkeys punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsurfer View Post
I'm running an rs with a trinity 17.5 and after about 4 laps (1 1/2 min) it loses pretty much all power. I changed the sensor wire, re-calibrated 3 or 4 times, reinstalled 212, tried different batteries and used different model memory on radio all with the same result. Everything worked fine during practice.

5.68 FDR
Controller Settings
Sensored
Throttle profile 3
Drag brake 5
Min brake 10
Min throttle 10
Brake strength 86
Neutral width 8
Push control 0ff
Boost 42
Start end rpm 3030 16000
Turbo 17, delay .30, ramp 2

Any ideas on what may be causing this issue? My last thought is to try a new cap.

Thanks in advance, Gary
What voltage are you using 1s or 2s ?
__________________
Top Racing Sabre mini
Tamiya m05
Sakura zero
Monkeys punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #21128
Tech Addict
 
Bubblehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
My temps are never over 140 when boosted. Like the others have said, gear for performance. If your temps are low and you are still fast, that is major bonus. Heat is the enemy. Period.
I understand what you saying about gearing for performance. When do you stop gearing up and start adjusting your ESC to improve performance?
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #21129
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
I understand what you saying about gearing for performance. When do you stop gearing up and start adjusting your ESC to improve performance?
Honestly, I'll change my gear only after changing my boost profile doesn't seem to make a difference where I want it to.

If my boost is maxed out and my turbo is as high as I'm comfortable with and I'm getting walked on the straight, I'll add a tooth or two to the pinion.

If I want more rip on corner exit and adjusting my motor timing and/or start RPM isn't doing it for me, I'll drop a tooth or two.

Might not be the most scientific method.

So, in your case, I would say [again] that your profile looks pretty good, so the next time you can compare to another boosted car on the track, see where you think you're lacking and adjust your gearing accordingly.

BTW: Multiple 8 minute runs today, plenty fast, 124*F motor temp. I expect that to be around 140* on a prepped track raceday.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #21130
Tech Master
 
ShadowAu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Somewhere you'd never heard of
Posts: 1,531
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

This is gonna sound like a really newbie question, but I have to admit the gearing side of boosted speedies is confusing me a bit... but how are most of you deciding what gearing to start with?

I'll be running an RS with a tekin 17.5 at an event in a couple of weeks... most of the setups I've read recently have a 17.5 at around 6 FDR... crazy thing is I was run an SP 8.5 on the same track with a 6.3 FDR and I was wondering if it could go further down... other settings were -

boost - 50
Start RPM - I don't remember but around 10000
End RPM - 25000
throttle profile - 3
no turbo

ESC temp was about 4 lights, and motor never above 60C

main straight is around 40m with a fast sweeper leading onto it... rest of the track is quite technical but reasonably fast.

My quandary is the gearing... if I am to believe what I've read the gearing for the 17.5 is not going to be much different from the 8.5 I was running and that doesn't feel right to me, but maybe age is catching up with me
__________________
I am quite content with doing what I do

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #21131
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

I suspect you're getting away with a relatively high gear on your 8.5 due to your high start RPM. Temperature isn't bad, and if you don't feel you're hurting on speed anywhere, then it's hard to say you're doing it wrong, but I do think you're probably leaving some acceleration and speed on the table with that gearing.

With any boosted profile, gearing and profiles are very much a personal preference thing, and starting on a profile from scratch takes a lot of testing.

On a large straight track, I would expect to see a car top out before half-straightaway with no boost when geared "correctly", and then make up for loss of acceleration on the rest of the straight with boost. That being said, if the car is geared so light that you can't get traction coming off the corners, going lighter on the gearing also doesn't make a lot of sense.

I prefer a fairly smooth acceleration, no nitro style second gear look to the car, which you have to tune in with your start and end RPM settings.

I haven't run an 8.5 in a TC, but I do remember gearing around 7.1 or so with a boosted 10.5.

Hope that helps.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #21132
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: France
Posts: 812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
This is gonna sound like a really newbie question, but I have to admit the gearing side of boosted speedies is confusing me a bit... but how are most of you deciding what gearing to start with?

I'll be running an RS with a tekin 17.5 at an event in a couple of weeks... most of the setups I've read recently have a 17.5 at around 6 FDR... crazy thing is I was run an SP 8.5 on the same track with a 6.3 FDR and I was wondering if it could go further down... other settings were -

boost - 50
Start RPM - I don't remember but around 10000
End RPM - 25000
throttle profile - 3
no turbo

ESC temp was about 4 lights, and motor never above 60C

main straight is around 40m with a fast sweeper leading onto it... rest of the track is quite technical but reasonably fast.

My quandary is the gearing... if I am to believe what I've read the gearing for the 17.5 is not going to be much different from the 8.5 I was running and that doesn't feel right to me, but maybe age is catching up with me
8.5 fdr for a 17.5t motor is way off, 10000 start is not good either, it seems that your speedo is getting the heat and not your motor.

Try fdr of 6 and start rpm at 5500
__________________
Electriquement votre...

Drink EARTH water and save lives! in support of WFP
olly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:29 AM   #21133
Tech Master
 
ShadowAu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Somewhere you'd never heard of
Posts: 1,531
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olly986 View Post
8.5 fdr for a 17.5t motor is way off, 10000 start is not good either, it seems that your speedo is getting the heat and not your motor.

Try fdr of 6 and start rpm at 5500
I think you're mixing up some of the figures... I don't mention an 8.5 FDR anywhere and the ESC settings I gave are for an 8.5T motor not a 17.5..
__________________
I am quite content with doing what I do

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #21134
Tech Master
 
ShadowAu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Somewhere you'd never heard of
Posts: 1,531
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
I suspect you're getting away with a relatively high gear on your 8.5 due to your high start RPM. Temperature isn't bad, and if you don't feel you're hurting on speed anywhere, then it's hard to say you're doing it wrong, but I do think you're probably leaving some acceleration and speed on the table with that gearing.

With any boosted profile, gearing and profiles are very much a personal preference thing, and starting on a profile from scratch takes a lot of testing.

On a large straight track, I would expect to see a car top out before half-straightaway with no boost when geared "correctly", and then make up for loss of acceleration on the rest of the straight with boost. That being said, if the car is geared so light that you can't get traction coming off the corners, going lighter on the gearing also doesn't make a lot of sense.

I prefer a fairly smooth acceleration, no nitro style second gear look to the car, which you have to tune in with your start and end RPM settings.

I haven't run an 8.5 in a TC, but I do remember gearing around 7.1 or so with a boosted 10.5.

Hope that helps.
to be honest acceleration was a bit "aggressive" with a bit of hesitation... which I think might have had a bit to do with my neutral width as well... as for top speed it probably was a little lacking over what I expected but not substantially
__________________
I am quite content with doing what I do

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #21135
Tech Fanatic
 
Infinite 12th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California
Posts: 877
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Apparently running 12th mod and 12th 17.5 requires two cars for some but if one we're to run one car is it hard to change the profile from mod to 17.5 for 12th with the RS Pro

The Pro works for 12th mod correct? Lowest turn it will allow for 12th mod? We're their any guys in the 12th mod running the pro at the IIC

Thanks
__________________
12th scale - The Jedi class...
Infinite 12th is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin Redline RS Sensored ESC and motors, opinions for offroad? Cain Electric Off-Road 4230 06-07-2015 04:38 PM
Sensored vs. Sensorless lemansracer Electric On-Road 71 02-14-2009 03:19 AM
New Tekin Redline Sensored Motors are Roar Legal! Randy_Pike Electric On-Road 3 08-05-2008 02:08 AM
Tekin Redline Sensored 10.5 HUCKMAN Electric On-Road 6 07-15-2008 08:50 PM
sensored vs sensorless bprocket Rookie Zone 5 05-16-2008 09:38 AM


Tags
v203, vegas 2.0


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:13 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net