Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin RS ESC sensored

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BCbud
I wouldnt falt Tekin, I would falt the battery manufactures for not agreeing on a standard polarity on there batteries.
Looks like cheap batteries are the ones that are backwards!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CloseYetFar
Thanks for the tips guys. I will figure out some way to make my setup fool proof in the future. But for $200 plus electronics, the ESC manufactures really do need to figure out a polarity protection scheme. Instead of leaving it to the paying customer. I feel the don't make a mistake even once excuse is just neglect on their part.

I'm hoping Tekin is willing to step up to the plate on this issue, especially since most high end batteries are using bullet connectors.
Sadly
This is just one of those life lessons
Doubt it will happen to you again

Most Performance ESC mfg's would not want to add weight, and, or drop the spec of their product to prevent end user errors

That's what the cheaper RTR stuff is for
Old 12-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Tech Regular

I'm sure with the advances in technology, one day we may be lucky enough to have two different size bullet holes on batteries. But I feel that type of advanced technology is still far away.
/sarcasm

But jokes aside, I feel that some times RC takes a step back in technology. I see separate bullet connectors as such. It would be great to have a female EC5 or female deans connector built right into a hard case battery instead of just separate bullets. EC5 is basically notched bullets.

End Rant.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
Looks like cheap batteries are the ones that are backwards!!!
Orca 1 cells are also this way an I think the Orian are as well but I am not shure on that one.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Regular

If you recall from a previous post I burned up my RS Pro with reverse polarity. Just for fun I took it apart, I believe I can spot at least two FETs on the bottom board that are burned up. Looks like reverse polarity leads to a short from what I am seeing.

Other then that it seems there are three boards in the RS Pro. Top is the controller and firmware, the bottom two boards seem to be almost the same. They only seem to hold the FETS stacked on top of each other.
Attached Thumbnails Tekin RS ESC sensored-burntfet.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

Now I know sometimes we get a little carried away but come on Son, is putting a deans connector between the batt & esc is too much trouble?? to save a $200 esc??

Just Sayin LOL!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by speedybill

Now I know sometimes we get a little carried away but come on Son, is putting a deans connector between the batt & esc is too much trouble?? to save a $200 esc??

Just Sayin LOL!

Dude!! CloseYetFar connected his battery reversed polarity, by not for Deans. But the bullet connector plugged ito the lipo battery pack he uses.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

In the "old days" we used to put a 30 amp auto fuse on the positive battery lead of the esc. It protected the esc from burning itself out. I don't know if that precaution would still be of use anymore.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Dude!! CloseYetFar connected his battery reversed polarity, by not for Deans. But the bullet connector plugged ito the lipo battery pack he uses.
I know what he did wrong. If he had a deans between the esc and lipo more than likely
He wouldn't of had a problem. And usually all it takes (for most of us) is once before you learn. Just sayin

Dad always said experience is the best teacher.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

I know what he did wrong. If he had a deans between the esc and lipo more than likely
He wouldn't of had a problem. And usually all it takes (for most of us) is once before you learn. Just sayin

Yeah!! lipo's with bullet connector onto Deans. Lipo's manufacture could have different sizes on bullet connectors, they have smaller balancing bullet connectors. Your Vehicle the cables between positive and negative is different gauges, neg the larger. The first lipo with bullet connectors I've purchased made permanent form them so I dont make that error. Me with Tekins RS!!! Lookin' out for myself.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This might be a silly question but is the RS esc ok for TC 17.5 blinky? On the Tekin website it says the RS for 2wd only. I have one kicking around and would like to use it till I pick up a RS Pro.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ophidian
This might be a silly question but is the RS esc ok for TC 17.5 blinky? On the Tekin website it says the RS for 2wd only. I have one kicking around and would like to use it till I pick up a RS Pro.
Yes, it would work fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PDR
Yes, it would work fine.
I agree. I've been using an rs in TC with boosted 13.5 setup for a few years now without ever overheating the esc.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I dunno, I prefer bullets. I learned to make one lead short enough so it physically cannot reach the other battery terminal. Has been pretty darn foolproof to this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.