Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HAS ANYBODY ELSE NOTICED THIS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's Galt, and Rand was nuts in her B&W view of the world.

Good point all the same.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TeamTekin
There are a few. Terry, you and I could probably write pages about this and the negative long term effects for everyone in terms of choice and innovation.

If cost is all that matters to people then we are in luck because cheap is in. It is becoming a Walmart world and we will all get exactly what we asked for…. In different colors.

Who is John Gault?
I get your point, and agree to a degree. But please don't forget this is a hobby, involving TOY cars. There are enough threads involving track closings, including 2 recent ones that I either raced at or planned to, on this site as it is. The most active and competitive electric car segment seems to be TC, and it seems to be in decline at least in our area, due to the costs of keeping up, perceived costs at least.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
yup... definitely VERY common.

Toyota Corolla becomes the Lexus IS250/350.... Volkswagen Beetle has the same chassis (slightly revised of course) as the Audi TT... Audi A4 = VW Jetta...

GMC Yukon = Chevy Tahoe, Lincoln Navigator = Ford Expedition. etc.
you do know that the corolla and the is250/350 are 100% different cars
not a single thing on them is the same
Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

what gets me is that companies claim that there product is the smallest,lightest,fastest,best etc.
I really hope you don't buy everything you buy because of 'company claims'.

There was a comedian a few years ago that made a joke about a dish soap I believe (may have been laundry soap) that said 'It's been NEW and IMPROVED so many times....it must have started as WATER'

HYPE is a large part of marketing a product...everyone has to make thiers BETTER/FASTER/LIGHTER than the competitor, or from their LAST version...or else WHY would anyone buy something NEW?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

one of the biggest rebadging excercises is chargers,
im not sayin who started it but the duratrax ice over loader and cdc 7 all have very very similar soft wear and checkpoint imo made a huge mistake when releasing their charger didnt they bother to r&d? its the same as the ice and yokhomo just add a back light and tweak the soft wear and add a fan no wonder they like to go pop on the discharge. its a shame cause the ice was so faultless
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are a few. Terry, you and I could probably write pages about this and the negative long term effects for everyone in terms of choice and innovation.

If cost is all that matters to people then we are in luck because cheap is in. It is becoming a Walmart world and we will all get exactly what we asked for…. In different colors.

Who is John Gault?
Yes agreed Jim cheap certainly is in. You can have whatever you like as long as it's the current 'in' OEM version. We could indeed most probably write a few pages but it would be a wasted effort, nobody would listen.

Originally Posted by Dave H
A few possibilities:

The original Losi, with the 5 link rear suspension. Granted, perhaps not completely original, as 5 links did exist on full scale. And I'm not claiming total knowledge of every RC model, have seen some funky older designs.

The Tekin 411 regenerative speed controls, recognising battery limits back in the day. Honorable mention to electronic speedos in general, Novak I believe, but again not a completely new idea.

Ball diff. We just had a discussion at the track this weekend. I thought that this was invented by Lotus F1, not actually used however. Then introduced to RC by Schumacher. My friend claims Schui wasn't first, but doesn't know for sure who was, he thought Associated 12th scale, early 80s.

But in the broader sense, nothing really. As was quite hilariously pointed out on another thread, the 'new tech' we are all raving about is all pretty ancient. AC motors (brushless to us) have been around practically forever, variable speed ones almost as long. 2.4 GHz communications, well this cheapskate has already replaced my cordless home phones with 5.8 GHz, that's how old that stuff is. And lithium batteries are everywhere, cell phones, laptops, etc. Don't let ROAR know, they might be afraid to go outside. Sorry, cheap shot, couldn't help myself!
Dave I wasn't really meaning who was first with things, more like just who gives real choice and real innovation other than a different cosmetic variation, different label or a rebadge plus a few tweaks to the specs?

Erm.. so who is this John Galt guy anyway and should anybody care?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Here are other good example:

HW is a manufacturer and they make the GT, Venom and soon to be Orion's Vortex Race Controllers.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

this used to be only 45 bucks, and when everyone started buying them instead of spektrums for 80+ dollars, the price is now 74.99 why the sudden price jump?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dave H
A few possibilities:
Ball diff. We just had a discussion at the track this weekend. I thought that this was invented by Lotus F1, not actually used however. Then introduced to RC by Schumacher. My friend claims Schui wasn't first, but doesn't know for sure who was, he thought Associated 12th scale, early 80s.
Schumacher was the first to use ball diffs in RC. Cecil actually reinvented it after it had originally been used in a lawnmower but then forgoten about.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by teabag

this used to be only 45 bucks, and when everyone started buying them instead of spektrums for 80+ dollars, the price is now 74.99 why the sudden price jump?
I should've bought them. I called Horizon and the tech guy wa actually right then, they do work with Spektrum radios.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teabag

Because they found they could rape people like the gas companies do!!!!!!!!!!!! Are local shop owner said the exact same thing you posted.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Terry_S
Dave I wasn't really meaning who was first with things, more like just who gives real choice and real innovation other than a different cosmetic variation, different label or a rebadge plus a few tweaks to the specs?
OK, now I'm even more confused than usual. What is the difference between being first with things and real innovation?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Ian S
Schumacher was the first to use ball diffs in RC. Cecil actually reinvented it after it had originally been used in a lawnmower but then forgoten about.
Interesting, now I'm up to 1 for 3, maybe I can make the majors!
What lawnmower? Was it available commercially?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by oXYnary
Rand was nuts in her B&W view of the world.

Good point all the same.
As with many issues sometimes you have to present an extreme view to make your point. She did drag on and on and on and on about it....

Originally Posted by Terry_S
Erm.. so who is this John Galt guy anyway and should anybody care?
John Galt stopped the motor of the world to show that when the producers, innovators and leaders stop doing there thing the consumers have no one to feed off and the system crashes!

A painful read, but some very strong views for those who take risks, work hard, and expect to reap the benefits of their efforts.

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 04-01-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

John Galt stopped the world to show that when the producers, innovators and leaders stop doing there thing the consumers have no one to feed off and the system crashes! A painful read, but some very strong views for those who take risks, work hard, and expect to reap the benefits of their efforts.
Wikipedia has a great (short) description of this book (second from the top of list). I didn't expect to learn anything usefull on rctech tonight .... thanks Tekin!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.