Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree13Likes

pro3

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Darkside-Some people are quick to find excuses why their car isn't able to finish in the top 3 you have to admit too. When they don't drive well blame the car, when they can't set up the car blame the car, when you see a new car of the month come out -blame the car . They aren't taking the time to understand the car and I blame HPI for that (weak manual). True this car has some faults but so does the Losi's and TC3's and Schumachers of the world. As far as building a whole new car with hop-ups I garantee all the Losi's in my race had the full graphite conversions (chassis-milled, arms, knuckles, c-blocks, shock towers, front short shock, battery holder and on and on) that brings their car price to over $300. Not quite the same car that came out of the box

Ralf- Control Centre also came out with a nice inexpensive conversion (they have a board here somewhere)
Old 02-26-2002, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I just installed the new chassis from Control Centre or RcModel.
see: http://controlcentre.rctech.net/
or: http://shopping.rcmodel.com.hk/eshopping/default.htm
Old 02-26-2002, 10:13 AM
Regional Moderator

MikeR: good point about the Losi's. I still run my C4.1 just as it comes out of the box. Its fun to add a hop-up now and then, but not when you feel you absolutely have to.
Old 02-26-2002, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

I check in here now and again, I've had my pro3 since they started showing up at LHS in the area, I am one of only 3 people driving them locally and all I get is...what car is that...I tell them a pro3 and they are like really, why would you want one of them...

And what I generally tell them is:
"Well, I thought the car design was nice, I think HPI generally produces a good car for the money and I liked the looks of it..."

Now I am basically a B-Main driver as I have only been at this for a little under a year but I am improving and as I improve driving I am getting the car handling better, this week I improved my best ever qualifying from 27 laps to 30 laps and was 30 in 5:00:125 so just missed a 31...the car was hooked up and I ran clean...

I can't wait for outdoor season cause that is when I first had the pro3 going and I was really having good runs, made the bottom of 2 A-Mains with it...it really likes a bumpy track with the top plate off...

Anyways, guess the point is...a car can be whatever you make of it...my biggest problem with the Pro3 is not the car, it is how quick everyone judged it based upon a couple of peoples opinions...I can't even get parts support from my LHs on it, I have to use Tower hobbies or other places...so I have to keep a fair amount of parts on hand...

The only reason I may switch is the parts availability which is a sad thing cause I think the car can be a winner...but it will probably fade away...
Old 02-27-2002, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Just bought a Pro3 to run in the HPI Challenge race...

For the 100 bucks, how can ya go wrong....
I am gonna run stock, any suggestions on changes to the car for a Challenge race ?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2002, 08:32 AM
Regional Moderator

TigeRyan: I think you made a great point there. They ask you what car it was.....then, they say why would you want one of those.

You know what that tells me about those guys? They spend a lot of time reading what other people think of cars on message boards. I'm willing to bet they thought your car was pretty cool until you said the name "Pro3". Then it clicked a switch inside their tiny little brain that said "oh, this is the car I heard was bad". These are the worst type of people. Who hate on a car, without even knowing what it looks like. Silly, just plain silly.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

TigeRyan- you ever need set-up help or speed secrets you just ask.

Spooky-Stock class this year for the challenge pretty much means box stock now so you can't put on any hop-ups if that's what you were asking. If you want to hop up the car go for it but keep all the stock parts handy so that you can switch back for the challenge.

Darkseid- Amen!
Old 02-27-2002, 05:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by spooky
Just bought a Pro3 to run in the HPI Challenge race...

I am gonna run stock, any suggestions on changes to the car for a Challenge race ?

Thanks
HPI Challenge "Stock" means Box stock. You can change pinion. But you have to run a HPI tire and rim. You can change shock oil but you have to run the super soft silver springs.

The silver springs make the flexy flyer seem like a 1970's Caddy. It floats over bumps rebounding forever then when you turn the chassis basically barrel rolls over itself.
Old 02-27-2002, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

MikeR, the biggest setup issue I have with the pro3 is trying to maintain cornering speed, as I roll thru the corner I seem to scrub off alot more speed then other cars...besides that I can out break most cars, especially the TC3's and acceleration I am behind the TC3's but ahead of most others...

The only other thing is gearing...but I will have to get back to you with where I am at now...I normally run P2k's or P2k2's though...indoor carpet, medium size track usually setup for speed not technical...

Thanks...for the offer...

as for the people who look at the car and frown after I say Pro3, well to them I usually just say I like it and it is getting faster to which they can't say much cause I am slowing moving up the ladder, almost to the point of making an A-Main appearance...so I am like I said "Happy with the car..."

Later all!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Anyone,
I have a limited ed. pro3. Any advice on how i can accelerate much better cause if feels a little sluggish with stock motors. By the way i use gm3 with a 42 pinion and 100 spur( 64 ptich). I also drive on medium grip asphalt.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Asprey- You're running a 5.36 final drive- that is way overgeared. For a gm3 you need to be closer to 6.6. If you want real punch and still have great top speed use the tried and true P2K geared at a 5.9 to 6.2 ratio.

TigeRyan- do you feel like the front end scrubs out or the rear end or neither? There's specific remedies for each.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:23 PM
Tech Champion

Asprey... you're over geared. try 100/36. The GM3 doesn't do well in sedans and overheats. Try the new P2k2 pro. you'll have better results.

Guys.... I just called Ricky's RC Car. The new HotBodies woven graphite chassis is in the warehouse.
But will not be availabe for another 2 months.
No part no. or pricing is available yet.
No pre-orders are being taken.

I guess we all have to wait.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

MikeR,

It seems like the front-end is pushing out so I have to oversteer to make the corner....my assumption not enough front-end grip...

John
Old 02-28-2002, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Yep- you called it- kinda common for this car since it has lots of grip overall.
Assuming you have the exact same tire set-up as the top 3 in the a-main there are a bunch of things to do.
1.Increase the front camber to 1.75?(keeps the tire off the outside bead when the car leans and keeps all of the tire down flat in the turn)
2.Roll center-outside camber link to top, inside link down to lowest (increases the camber angle reaction when leaning)
3. a little softer spring up front or a little firmer in rear (allows weight transfer to the front of the car when you let off the throttle)
4.Or move your front top shock location in on the tower 1 hole for a more subtle softening of the front.
5.Increase caster to max on front- more high speed steering (reacts the same way as increasing camber but only kicks in while you're turning due to the geometry). Important- try putting the front links i've used on my car to fight caster flex. Without the links the stock knuckles will flex when leaning into a corner effectively taking out any caster in the front and causing the tires to scrub. The angles you see on my car are the best location to not flex the knuckles forward or back and keep the caster where you set it. Try these few changes first and let us know if you need more adjustments still

Last edited by MikeR; 02-28-2002 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

MikeR,

Just printed that all out and I am going to go look at all that....thanks a bunch...

Here is something for anyone who wants another pro3...

3 Pro3 for $130 Each

I might just get one to have for parts, gotta be worth the shocks, MIP CVD's and the rest of the parts...

Later all,
John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.