Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated RC12R5

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by John St.Amant
NOT ! Im no rookie.... I, and several others in my area all have the same issue. And everyones upper link is straight ... Like I had stated in my last post. Associated needs to fix this. Joe Trandels new 10 and 12R5 Did not have this problem.... but like i said ... His NEW car, and its only a week old. Mine and the others have had it for a while . So what did they fix? The lower arm or the upper mount?
I checked my other car which is from the first batch of kits and it is fine also. As far as I know the molds have not been changed.

Could you take a picture of it?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

NOT ! Im no rookie.... I, and several others in my area all have the same issue. And everyones upper link is straight ... Like I had stated in my last post. Associated needs to fix this. Joe Trandels new 10 and 12R5 Did not have this problem.... but like i said ... His NEW car, and its only a week old. Mine and the others have had it for a while . So what did they fix? The lower arm or the upper mount?
You didn't reply to my post about the lower arms being directional. My r5's were from the very first batch last summer, and not from a newer production run. I can tell from your posts that you're no rookie, and in no way was I trying to imply that...
Old 02-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trips
You didn't reply to my post about the lower arms being directional. My r5's were from the very first batch last summer, and not from a newer production run. I can tell from your posts that you're no rookie, and in no way was I trying to imply that...
I have spent quite some time making sure I got it all right. The arms are swept back on the bottom and both are oriented the same. So what would you suggest ? Ivan Jacksons car is brand new and his also was way out . Ivan is even more anal with his stuff than I am. His cars are imaculate! And guess what? Caster isn't even close. What parts do i need to replace ? Perhaps the entire car . I have two Associated cars and things like this make me want to sell them. I know Chuck Lonergan had one and sold it because he didn't like it. Now I know why. I wish Tamiya made a 12th scale pan car. If they did , I'm sure it would be right on right out of the box and I wouldnt have to buy replacement parts like the brushless centering parts to make it right .. or atleast "almost" right . And 12th scles are finicky at best but absolutely awesome when RIGHT. I want it right......
Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)
Default 12r5

John you have a pm
Old 02-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2056dennis
John you have a pm
Damn! Is it that time of the month again?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have spent quite some time making sure I got it all right. The arms are swept back on the bottom and both are oriented the same. So what would you suggest ? Ivan Jacksons car is brand new and his also was way out . Ivan is even more anal with his stuff than I am. His cars are imaculate! And guess what? Caster isn't even close. What parts do i need to replace ? Perhaps the entire car . I have two Associated cars and things like this make me want to sell them. I know Chuck Lonergan had one and sold it because he didn't like it. Now I know why. I wish Tamiya made a 12th scale pan car. If they did , I'm sure it would be right on right out of the box and I wouldnt have to buy replacement parts like the brushless centering parts to make it right .. or atleast "almost" right . And 12th scles are finicky at best but absolutely awesome when RIGHT. I want it right......
I have different issue where one of the lower front arm is angle up slightly and cause the front ride height not even. It take me a while to realize it was the arm the give me the headache. I also has uneven caster too and they are off by about 1.5 to 2 degree. I also being careful when I thread in the turnbuckel and they are as stright as possible. The car does run well but little things like this bother me big time, so I ended up bought an XII and save me from getting more gray hairs...
Old 02-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Eddie M
I have different issue where one of the lower front arm is angle up slightly and cause the front ride height not even. It take me a while to realize it was the arm the give me the headache. I also has uneven caster too and they are off by about 1.5 to 2 degree. I also being careful when I thread in the turnbuckel and they are as stright as possible. The car does run well but little things like this bother me big time, so I ended up bought an XII and save me from getting more gray hairs...
So we either need new lowers, and hope for a good casting or get a new car. That DBR12 looks nice...
Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Have you tried flipping the upper or lower arms from side to side? Does the problem go from one side to another if you do that? If you could figure out what part makes the caster uneven it would be easier to help you solve the problem.

You really dont have to get the brushless pod. The Worlds were won with the standard pod
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Xceed
Lightweight Wheel ITA foam tire
Attached Thumbnails Associated RC12R5-dsc06065.jpg   Associated RC12R5-xceed12thlight-400x248.jpg  

Last edited by RC MARKET; 02-16-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JuhoL
Have you tried flipping the upper or lower arms from side to side? Does the problem go from one side to another if you do that? If you could figure out what part makes the caster uneven it would be easier to help you solve the problem.

You really dont have to get the brushless pod. The Worlds were won with the standard pod
uppers r fine...
hard to check the inner mounts.
lowers r most likely the issue.. bad mold.
flipping them made it worse.... still not right . i shouldnt have to fix what seems to be common place.... funny how the team drivers dont have a problem with it. they just have to know about this im certain. Just spill the beans .. admit that something is wrong with the whatever part so we can fix it. I assure you is nothing I did to it. Wasnt there as similar issue with the tc4? Perhaps this is how the factory keeps otherwise good drivers out of the show and the payed drivers payed. Ive played with this stupid caster now for 3 days and cant make it right without replacing (non broken) parts. I shouldnt have to own a C&C or a Bridgeport to play with my toy cars. But it would seem that the future of 12th scale (atleast in my pit box) does not cpntain an Associated car for me. Or is this the lto edition? I had no idea associated made a 12th oval car.....and yes im still
Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

... Perhaps this is how the factory keeps otherwise good drivers out of the show and the payed drivers payed... :
Oh no the secret is out
Old 02-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

uppers r fine...
flipping them made it worse.... still not right . i shouldnt have to fix what seems to be common place.... funny how the team drivers dont have a problem with it. they just have to know about this im certain. Just spill the beans .. admit that something is wrong with the whatever part so we can fix it. I assure you is nothing I did to it. Wasnt there as similar issue with the tc4? Perhaps this is how the factory keeps otherwise good drivers out of the show and the payed drivers payed. Ive played with this stupid caster now for 3 days and cant make it right without replacing (non broken) parts. I shouldnt have to own a C&C or a Bridgeport to play with my toy cars. But it would seem that the future of 12th scale (atleast in my pit box) does not cpntain an Associated car for me. Or is this the lto edition? I had no idea associated made a 12th oval car.....and yes im still

OK John,

I think you have jumped the shark on this one

Have you tried contacting Team Associated's customer service? I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

John, could you post a picture of this. I just bought a 12r5, and want to see what everybody is talking about. Also so I can have reference to check up against when I check my car later when I get home.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
AE-Reedy

uppers r fine...
John I can assure you there are no "Team Driver" parts, everyone gets their parts the same way you do. There have also been no adjusts or changes to the molds. If you want, contact me and I will send you a new set of lower arms. Just send me a PM with your address. I have seen some small differences in caster side to side but nothing that ever worried me much. I normally just adjust the shims to get my desired caster and move on.

Now the issue of the arms having different heights that one was noticed recently and we believe it to be the lower arms moving on the bulkheads.
In Cleveland I tried countersinking the screws that attach the lower arms to the aluminum bulkhead. This should help the screw and the arms to find a center and resist moving. I haven't checked my car since I made this mod to see if they moved again, although I haven't noticed any problems with the front ride height which is what set me to looking in the first place. If you find them to be off just loosen the lower arm screws and then retighten them this should reset the heights.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

I have spent quite some time making sure I got it all right. The arms are swept back on the bottom and both are oriented the same. So what would you suggest ? Ivan Jacksons car is brand new and his also was way out . Ivan is even more anal with his stuff than I am. His cars are imaculate! And guess what? Caster isn't even close. What parts do i need to replace ? Perhaps the entire car . I have two Associated cars and things like this make me want to sell them. I know had one and sold it because he didn't like it. Now I know why. I wish Tamiya made a 12th scale pan car. If they did , I'm sure it would be right on right out of the box and I wouldnt have to buy replacement parts like the brushless centering parts to make it right .. or atleast "almost" right . And 12th scles are finicky at best but absolutely awesome when RIGHT. I want it right......
John,

Mentioning someone's name without they're permission on a public forum is just not right... there are many reason's why people choose to do what they do. I remember watching you race years ago and you got so mad you threw you're radio against the wall breaking it into many pieces... I guess with the internet you have a different avenue to take out your frustrations...

Please call Associated rather then slam the co. and throw other racers under the buss.

I choose to edit your post.

Travis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.