Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Tech Master

Ok, here my verdict on the new 3racing ball diff.

Don't get it. You cannot change/clean the outdrive bearings because the outdrives DO NOT come off. They probably used JB weld to put that thing on. On top of that, it requires you to make the outdrive holes on the chassis bigger. If you make that hole even 1mm too big, the diff will slide out the gearbox. Unless you have a spare lying around, it's not worth it.

It's too bad cause I finally thought we had an alternative to the tamiya one...

oh, and one more thing. It slips no matter how tight you make it.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Think I'll stick with the TA03 one then thanks...

Not surprised though, anything that requires a significant chassis mod to install is behind the eight ball to start with.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

This is for any mini drivers who are looking for racing in the Orange County and Los Angeles area. We are having a weekly friday nite race at SoCal Raceway. We run to TCS rules with a few exceptions to make the mini more adapted to the track conditions at SoCal. The main ones being any mini size rim and tire and HPI mini cooper bodies w/out the wing (cheaper and easier to paint) We lost a lot of our regulars to the Friday nite time as work schedules did not permit. Racing is close and pretty intense and a good time is had by all, except for the rule benders. If you're from the school that'll do anything to win you are welcome too, but you will have to run in a separate class. Some of us have been around mini's for awhile and we can spot a "too fast" mini a mile off.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ran my Swift again today, proper full race day, instead of the rained out first one. Against 540 Novice (yeah, was the only Mini driver there), the car was great, but would loosen the ball after about three races, seems to be due more to the grease I use in it than the screw coming loose.
Currently I am using the Tamiya Anti-Wear grease in a TA03 ball diff, which is the really thick and sticky stuff, which I was told by others to use since it "locks" the diff without being illegal.

What type of grease do others use in the diff? I'd love to get it to stay relatively tight without having to pull it apart so often.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Dec just tighten the crap out of it, that's all you need to do. That's what we do... The grease you use doesn't really matter one way or the other.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Has anyone just ran a one-way in place of the diff?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Are the Tamiya stainless steel hinge pins better than the kit screw type hinge pins?

I'm creating a "Frankenstein" mini by piecing together all the spare parts laying around, and I'm just wondering which way to go - convenient screw type of pesky E-clip type.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I don't think they are really any better...but I have had the the stock screw style hinge pins rust on me pretty easily. So since the stainless kit is cheap I just use that now.
Originally Posted by Hawk6
Are the Tamiya stainless steel hinge pins better than the kit screw type hinge pins?

I'm creating a "Frankenstein" mini by piecing together all the spare parts laying around, and I'm just wondering which way to go - convenient screw type of pesky E-clip type.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 135 (100%+)
M03M body choices

I was wondering what the body choices are for the M03M chassis besides the Suzuki Swift. Anyone running something different?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

There aint nuthin.... Surprising really, I would have thought that some of the aftermarket manufacturers would have jumped onto the idea.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 135 (100%+)

Yeah, especially since a spare body costs nearly 1/3 what the whole kit costs!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ManicRC
I was wondering what the body choices are for the M03M chassis besides the Suzuki Swift. Anyone running something different?
There was a HPI Honda body that suits that wheelbase, but it is no longer advertised on RCMart.

Look at all those cool bodies:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=438_874
Old 07-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Dec, the HPI Civic didnt fit anyway.

Right wheelbase but hits the servo mount on an M03......
Old 07-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony gray
Dec, the HPI Civic didnt fit anyway.

Right wheelbase but hits the servo mount on an M03......
Well, it was a good thing RCMart were out of stock for them, as I would've made a costly mistake.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Second time racing my M03 Mini and I have a few questions.
I'm racing my Green Mini Motor against the 540's and was wondering if I should just run a 540 instead? Also I've learned not to brake in my mini, and just turn instead. What a weird feeling going from my full blown TA05 to this little beast with bearings, cvd's and the green motor. I have sway bars on it too. I was racing against a BWM mini, 4 cell Mardave and 2 more Mini's. I couldn't keep up with the Mardave, BMW and 1 Mini. I know my driving skills, or the lack there of, will increase the more I drive it but how the heck did they pull away from me. They were stock set ups an I had the right pinion for the motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.