Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
The best advice to give someone having a crappy night... "Slow Down" Don't try to be fast, just try to put the car in the right place and be consistent.
I had the same problem. Bought used equipment to get started and it turned out many of my parts were flat worn out. Especially the steering system on my TC3's. But, I had nothing to compare it with. It took a good racer coming and asking me if he could see my cars to solve the problem. He used wise eyes and pointed out what was wrong. No wonder I was hitting the wall so much!

Moral of the story, is that if you know what you are doing, offer your help to the new guys. They want it, but don't want to ask for fear of being a pest. Offer!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default bad day

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I feel your pain. I really try hard to be clean, stay off of the walls and patiently wait to make a clean pass but Saturday it seems like I hit every other driver on the track. So much that I almost pulled out of the race due to frustration. Guess I was being really hard on myself but it was a very frustrating night. Time to take a couple of weeks off to blow off the night and get back to some great fun in January.
You know that sounds like a great idea. We are having our regular race new years eve then we are going to try and have an endurance race with at least 4 teams of 4 racers and run for 3 hours solid and see which team can get the most laps. We did it on ashpalt last summer and it was a blast. The winning team on asphalt had over 700 laps! The only concern is can we get enough racers to run. If I am as tired last new years eve as I was last weekend it might be bad. May need to go to Speedy Bills Rc and stock up on parts. LOL
Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The tread deal in a nutshell is that on carpet, the tires have TOO MUCH traction many times before they are worn out. Many times you need to get new tires after a month or so of weekly racing due to that factor.

Outdoors, there is no reason to penalize people for the fact that the track may be abrasive, or for that matter they have a bad setup. Also, outdoor racing is a good way to burn up those tires from indoor racing that have a bit too much traction.

There have also been cases of epic tire fail when you try to run some real worn out tires. That's just more realism and excitement in my book.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default bad day

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
I had the same problem. Bought used equipment to get started and it turned out many of my parts were flat worn out. Especially the steering system on my TC3's. But, I had nothing to compare it with. It took a good racer coming and asking me if he could see my cars to solve the problem. He used wise eyes and pointed out what was wrong. No wonder I was hitting the wall so much!

Moral of the story, is that if you know what you are doing, offer your help to the new guys. They want it, but don't want to ask for fear of being a pest. Offer!

I agree 100%! If it hadnt been for some of the experienced guys helping me out when I got started I may not have lasted very long. In spite of my bad day I still enjoy VTA very much. Right now I have 4 of the same car and a good supplyer of parts thanks to Speedy Bills Rc, I think I am feeling better now, lets all go race!
Thanks, I needed that!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Tech Adept

Default tire question

Originally Posted by robk
The tread deal in a nutshell is that on carpet, the tires have TOO MUCH traction many times before they are worn out. Many times you need to get new tires after a month or so of weekly racing due to that factor.

Outdoors, there is no reason to penalize people for the fact that the track may be abrasive, or for that matter they have a bad setup. Also, outdoor racing is a good way to burn up those tires from indoor racing that have a bit too much traction.

There have also been cases of epic tire fail when you try to run some real worn out tires. That's just more realism and excitement in my book.
Can you have too much traction? My car handles pretty well on carpet and asphalt, but my driving seems to leave a lot to be desired. For new drivers, learning where, when and how much to let off the gas and then how much to gas to give it, is a concern. Having a coach to help guide you once or twice would be great, but that doesnt happen very often. It would be great to have a practice day where the experienced drivers could leave their stuff on the bench and just help the new guys and gals with their setups and driving.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jayh50
Can you have too much traction? My car handles pretty well on carpet and asphalt, but my driving seems to leave a lot to be desired. For new drivers, learning where, when and how much to let off the gas and then how much to gas to give it, is a concern. Having a coach to help guide you once or twice would be great, but that doesnt happen very often. It would be great to have a practice day where the experienced drivers could leave their stuff on the bench and just help the new guys and gals with their setups and driving.
Yes you can have too much traction. Extreme examples are traction rolling the car. this can be helped by adjusting the roll center and droop. VTA is a momentum class. keeping speeds up in the turns equals faster lap times and even the ability to run a lower FDR for more straight speed. Too much traction will scrub more speed in the turns and lower your lap times. When we started our races last Saturday the faster cars were running 11.5 seconds. By the main traction came way up from the 1/12 scale cars laying down the rubber in the turns. Everyone lost .5 seconds a lap to 11.9 to 12.1. Personally I went from an 11.6 best lap in the qualifier to a 11.9 in the main. The car was also traction rolling in the main where it was really nice to drive in the first qualifier.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

for most "BIG" races, tires will be tech for tread, for club racing...run the heck out of them

also most of the time its just the fronts that run bald....the rears have very little wear....just cut the front tire off and buy a new set of front tires and use the same rims and save...thats $10 maybe

FYI: for The 4th Annual Thunder Jam Championships..(Birds Warm-up)
Sunday Jan 29, 2012 , tires will have to go to tech

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 12-20-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Shoulda seen this thing flapping around until the inner tread gave way! LOL
Old 12-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

they don't get good till the inside ribbing is the only thing holding it on... still was good enough to beat battboy.....

Old 12-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How does one go about getting a speed control approved for VTA? CRC is now the North American importer for Hobbywing, and we sell a non-timing speed control called the Justock. It can not have timing added to it, and it is on the ROAR non-timing approved list.

Also we sell it for only $65.00.

Any help would be appreciated.

dumper
Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dumper
How does one go about getting a speed control approved for VTA? CRC is now the North American importer for Hobbywing, and we sell a non-timing speed control called the Justock. It can not have timing added to it, and it is on the ROAR non-timing approved list.

dumper
You need to contact Robk who is the current guardian for the Official USVTA set of rules. You will probably have to send him a sample unit to examine before you get it on the officially accepted list.

Rob is in here all the time and will likely respond to this post promptly. You can also find his email at the official USVTA website.
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by dumper

dumper
Hey dumper, if you get a response from RobK about the Hobbywing ESC, please post it on this thread.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Champion

Default Hobbywing

Right now the Hobbywing Justock doesn't fit our parameters
Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Right now the Hobbywing Justock doesn't fit our parameters
Im perfectly content running the Novak, but what are the parameters for a speed control to qualify?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Im perfectly content running the Novak, but what are the parameters for a speed control to qualify?
Not being able to adjust boost via updating firmware, for one.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/8340295-post12.html

Not being a clone for another speed control that has timing adjustment so somebody can do a board swap, for another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.