Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR B/L motor Rules debate thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
As you can see, I have changed my mind on a few items... and stuck to my guns on some others....

If Dawn wasn't listening she wouldn't have changed her mind on some things.

We finally get a ROAR pres that actually visits the forums, and wants to update the rules and some aren't willing to give it a chance to work out.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Verndog
Question....why bother hearing what "you guys want", when the plans been made, and you know where you will be going?

The word will leaves no room for an opinion to matter.

Before you start to read this.. yep, I'm exhausted.. and probably a little grumpy.. no offense intended...

I gotta stop posting... yes, I know how the conversations have gone among the Excom and I see how they are going here. NO PLANS have been made or set in stone. I know what I think and I know the others disagree with me and some agree.

I am sorry I posted what I did and you were able to nit pick what you felt was necessary. If you don't think after ten pages in two days of all of our consistent responses isn't leaving this open to opinion.. then you just dont' get message forum communication...

(roll eyes right back at ya.. )
Tech Champion

damn. i had a message typed up and i hit the mouse button while over something else and poooof there went my message so i'll try to recover quickly..

Somebody was mentioning the coloured banding rings on the motor for tech reasons?? novak sells various coloured bands in their accessories page so that idea is kinda tossed out. major components such as rotor and stator will need some sort of laser etching or other not-easily-done marking for verification. i havent looked at the molded markings on mine yet - maybe some reassurance from a higher up about this as a cheating deterrant could be used. *shrug*

I don't know how anyone has had the stuffing whipped out of them by a 27t motor when running a 13.5 other than wrecks or what not. I could gear any roar-legal stock motor to death before the 13.5 will get remotely warm.

Whose crazy idea is to move 12th scale to 3.7v? That would require speed controls to be re/designed just to operate. You're forcing people to buy new stuff, just to buy new stuff. Ask yourself this. How many speed controls do i have that are 4, 5 years or older?? Then ask yourself how many $150-200 speedos you buy a year.. then ask how many $35 motors you buy, and so on with batteries. Speedos don't wear out as fast/often as motors or batteries. JoeBob Local Hobby Shop has a far greater chance of surviving on revenue from motors and batteries than the 10 bucks made on the occasional speed control. Its the same deal as kits vs parts. I face it every day in the fire truck industry. Let's stop shooting ourselves in the foot.
Stick with 7.4, Shape is a benefit of polymers. Pour the batteries a different length/shape and they can fit in to todays cars. Don't need to burn another $150 on a speedo when guys have ones that will work with it or are already available.
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Not trying to be difficult, but if you read the statement doesn't it somewhat close the door on opinions really mattering? Alot of people are putting some time in to express their opinions, but if the decisions been made...what does it matter? If there is some debate left, and wiggle room for the "peoples voice" to matter thats great. Just didn't read that way to me. Of course I've been accused of being too literal before...hopefully I am again.
If you paraphrase, yes. However, if you take the statement as a whole and also consider that Dawn is clearly encouraging us to give our input then it becomes clear that you're just reading into something that isn't really there.
Tech Regular

The 26650 cells are close to a standard "C" size and have less capacity than a NiMh cell. They aren't bad cells but they won't drop into many cars and certainly not 12th.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Kevin,

We only know what is going on here though, we have no idea that while we may be debating something she may have done 3 phone calls and received good feedback on the issue. Bottom line is what people have posted, me included that rules need to be announced soon. Some changes probably need to occur.

For instance I just read a post that Anthony L. posted in a different thread talking about how common 13.5 already are. That is true but if the change is comming then making now makes the most sense, doing it 1 year from now means that xx,xxx more motors have been sold. This is just an example so nobody needs to go off on it.

It's my understanding that the rules are comming shortly.

Steve
Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mason
damn. i had a message typed up and i hit the mouse button while over something else and poooof there went my message so i'll try to recover quickly..

Somebody was mentioning the coloured banding rings on the motor for tech reasons?? novak sells various coloured bands in their accessories page so that idea is kinda tossed out. major components such as rotor and stator will need some sort of laser etching or other not-easily-done marking for verification. i havent looked at the molded markings on mine yet - maybe some reassurance from a higher up about this as a cheating deterrant could be used. *shrug*

I don't know how anyone has had the stuffing whipped out of them by a 27t motor when running a 13.5 other than wrecks or what not. I could gear any roar-legal stock motor to death before the 13.5 will get remotely warm.

Whose crazy idea is to move 12th scale to 3.7v? That would require speed controls to be re/designed just to operate. You're forcing people to buy new stuff, just to buy new stuff. Ask yourself this. How many speed controls do i have that are 4, 5 years or older?? Then ask yourself how many $150-200 speedos you buy a year.. then ask how many $35 motors you buy, and so on with batteries. Speedos don't wear out as fast/often as motors or batteries. JoeBob Local Hobby Shop has a far greater chance of surviving on revenue from motors and batteries than the 10 bucks made on the occasional speed control. Its the same deal as kits vs parts. I face it every day in the fire truck industry. Let's stop shooting ourselves in the foot.
Stick with 7.4, Shape is a benefit of polymers. Pour the batteries a different length/shape and they can fit in to todays cars. Don't need to burn another $150 on a speedo when guys have ones that will work with it or are already available.
The colored "ring" on the Novaks is the plastic ring on the endbell. It's not removable. Also, you can check the inductance of a BL motor as a check for wind.

I've run a 3.7vLiPo in 12th. Used a standard Novak 4 cell speedo and it didn't have any problems. All you need for "new" equipment is a receiver pack. They're really not all that expensive. Personally I would prefer 2 cell voltage in mod 12th
Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

I also wanted to thank everyone for trying to keep a cool head and not get blown outta proportion on this text based media.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
NO PLANS have been made or set in stone.
Thank you for clearing that up for us (me). My apologies for the poor interpretation....and thank you for taking the time.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Personally I would prefer 2 cell voltage in mod 12th
I am a LIPO newbie, what does that mean. Is that 7.4V?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Unregistered
The colored "ring" on the Novaks is the plastic ring on the endbell. It's not removable. Also, you can check the inductance of a BL motor as a check for wind.

I've run a 3.7vLiPo in 12th. Used a standard Novak 4 cell speedo and it didn't have any problems. All you need for "new" equipment is a receiver pack. They're really not all that expensive. Personally I would prefer 2 cell voltage in mod 12th
Ah that ring.

And yes you are right about a receiver pack. i think in the long run getting by without a receiver pack keeps maintenance/upkeep easier. KISS. less things to go wrong.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by corallyman
I am a LIPO newbie, what does that mean. Is that 7.4V?
Yes.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

Yup, 7.4v is 2 cell voltage. Looks like you can fit about 2700 mAh in the cars so you'd be a little slower than NiMh.

I doubt that you'll see LiPo in very many 12th cars any time soon though. The pack that I built had $100 of cells in it (12 cell saddle pack). I can almost buy two good NiMh packs for that.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO and from what I have seen at all local tracks 13.5T has already been established as a 27T equivilant. I'm not sure what you guys are doing but down here on the track a 13.5T is very close to a 27T.

Secondly, what is the 19T class it is an intermediate between stock and mod. What was mod running when 19T was created, I cant remember exactly but somewhere between 10 to 12T. Where is MOD now, 3.5T BL or 6T brushed.

19T is no longer the middle ground between stock and mod, some brushed guys are now running 17T instead.

Third with new techonolgy do you expect to go faster or slower, I think most expect faster.

I think 8.5T is a better bridge between stock and MOD, this may be faster than 19T but wasn't this class a bridge between two points one of which has changed significantly.

As for newbies and slowing the cars down well that is what 540 silver cans are for, a few guys here starting running RS sport tunned classes as well as an intermediate step between novice and stock. This is a local decision and needs to be made locally buy club members at each track.

IMO there should be the following classes
stock 13.5T (with a restriction of the rotor)

8.5T (with a restriction on the rotor) as a new intermediate class between stock and mod

MOD.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you for clearing that up for us (me). My apologies for the poor interpretation....and thank you for taking the time.
yea, and me for... getting snippy... LOL

its late.. and this has dominated my life for two days now... as has most of you...

and its how it should be.. this is a serious question that there is no one answer to...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.