Wiki Posts
Search

Trinity... New home of the IB 4600

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wallstreet
i have heard the new "stock " would be 17.5 Guess we will have to wait and see on what roar desides on. I do enjoy running 13.5
]

I have heard the same thing. Even though it will be a pain for a lot of guys that have 13.5's already in the long run I think 17.5 will be a better motor for Stock Spec BL racing. It is closer to the speed of a 27T Stock motor. We really don't need to make the stock class faster than it is already. On smaller carpet tracks 27T stock sedan is almost too fast for novices getting started.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Sorry i was reading fast and misread rotor for motor ...

17.5 would be a good choice to keep the speeds the same... and i never thought about they going in the direction of Spec Rotor Size .

again sorry for the misread

does 13.5 go away then and use 10.5 for 19t ?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Sorry i was reading fast and misread rotor for motor ...

17.5 would be a good choice to keep the speeds the same... and i never thought about they going in the direction of Spec Rotor Size .

again sorry for the misread

does 13.5 go away then and use 10.5 for 19t ?
Yeah, everything in the ROAR BL Spec Stock will be specified...rotor diameter max size, Rotor max length, min and max stator ID, Max stator length, Stator lamination crossection, max wire gauge, min stator wire length, just like on a 27T ROAR stocker but adjusted for BL construction.

I think 13.5 will go away at some point...like 23T did in the US years ago.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

I saw the first drafts for the spec class, including 17.5. But they have all changed a little. The first one had a 12.5 min rotor, I think that is down to 12.3 since Novak's is already there. Dawn sent me 13.5 and 10.5 latest versions, but I think 17.5 is probably still being worked on.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Yeah, everything in the ROAR BL Spec Stock will be specified...rotor diameter max size, Rotor max length, min and max stator ID, Max stator length, Stator lamination crossection, max wire gauge, min stator wire length, just like on a 27T ROAR stocker but adjusted for BL construction.

I think 13.5 will go away at some point...like 23T did in the US years ago.

I don't think 13.5 will leave. It seems that lately the ultimate goal is for everyong to be in an A-main. I think we will just end up with another class.

If anything, modifed will go away (in the U.S.).
Old 12-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Why is it that all of these "battery" threads have turned to brushless motor discussions?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I don't think 13.5 will leave. It seems that lately the ultimate goal is for everyong to be in an A-main. I think we will just end up with another class.

If anything, modifed will go away (in the U.S.).
I think the should come after your statement about mod going away in the US.

I agree and I think its is a sad reflection of our US racers. Racing mod is harder than racing stock but like anything if you stick with it you get better. Once you get decent at running Mod running 19T or Stock is like racing in slow motion and you are even faster.

Unfortunnatly American racers don't stick with anything that is the least bit difficult.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Let's see if I get these classes correct.

Modified brushless
10.5 brushless
13.5 brushless (maybe replaced by 10.5?)
17.5 brushless

How long before the 17.5 class becomes invaded with drivers that have sponsors for everything except toilet paper?
Old 12-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
Why is it that all of these "battery" threads have turned to brushless motor discussions?
I think this is more of a trinity or ask chad and jim thread and the title is just letting everyone know trinity is the new distributor of ib cells.

But i could be wrong
Old 12-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kraig
Let's see if I get these classes correct.

Modified brushless
10.5 brushless
13.5 brushless (maybe replaced by 10.5?)
17.5 brushless

How long before the 17.5 class becomes invaded with drivers that have sponsors for everything except toilet paper?
Sponsored drivers would be fast if they were sponsored or not. Its better for you to practice, learn you car and get faster than worry about sponsored drivers.

We need to race together not create a new classes just so slow guys can win trophys.

Once again, this is a very American way of thought. If you get beaten at a race its because the winner had better stuff than you...not because you didn't prepare, practice or drive well. Learn from failure, work harder and move forward...excuses are a waste of time.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Drop 13.5, make 17.5 the new stock, and 10.5 the new 19T.

Many of us in the midwest race on small carpet tracks where even many of the regular locals are struggling to control 13.5 cars. Mod would be absurd, and way less fun than what we're doing now. I'm sure it's great on more open tracks, but I wouldn't wish mod on anybody racing on small carpets tracks. I'm not sure if the US mentality is as much to blame as what type of tracks we're racing on. I'd strap a mod in without hesitation outside where it could stretch out, and I'm not trying to put a car between a few feet of snarling 2x4's for .8 seconds before lifting and entering a turn at the end of a straight.

With the 13.5, I feel like I'm getting most of the mod experience already. With rubber tires, I have to use a lot of throttle control to not spin the tires when exiting a corner, and really have to finesse the car into, around and out of the turns. I can't drive it "strapped," that's for sure.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you're spinning rubber tires with a 13,5, then you seriously have a traction problem because thats next to impossible. I'm having a hard time spinning tires with a 4,5 on carpet using rubber tires. Outdoor is another thing though.

One thing is for curtain...people taking the plunge into the rubber tire world from the foam tire world, are in for a shock and basically starts from square one.

Anyway, back on topic. How important are matched cells vs unmatched cells? Several foreign shops have unmatched IB4600 listed for a much lower price than matched. Worth it?
Old 12-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
If you're spinning rubber tires with a 13,5, then you seriously have a traction problem because thats next to impossible. I'm having a hard time spinning tires with a 4,5 on carpet using rubber tires.
The traction was really low at the time, and was in fact quite a bit better today without tire spin for the most part. But still, if you got on the throttle too fast when exiting certain corners, you could break traction. It definitely required a lot more rolling into the throttle. We're running control tires. Anyway, back to batteries...
Old 12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Jan..The first batches are pretty close, it may be worth the gamble if they arent from a matcher that dumped their sub par cells.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Sponsored drivers would be fast if they were sponsored or not. Its better for you to practice, learn you car and get faster than worry about sponsored drivers.

We need to race together not create a new classes just so slow guys can win trophys.

Once again, this is a very American way of thought. If you get beaten at a race its because the winner had better stuff than you...not because you didn't prepare, practice or drive well. Learn from failure, work harder and move forward...excuses are a waste of time.
You completely missed my point.

My point is how long will it take sponsored drivers to invade these slower classes. I could care less if they beat me or I beat them.

Sorry guys, I will take my thoughts to my own little world. Now back to the original program.

Last edited by Kraig; 12-30-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Better not go there anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.