Old 05-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default What's stronger.....

Plastic
or
Graphite
or
Carbon Fiber

broke the steering block on my tc3 and about to buy a replacement. What do you guys suggest?
Old 05-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: What's stronger.....

Originally posted by RoadRat
Plastic
or
Graphite
or
Carbon Fiber

broke the steering block on my tc3 and about to buy a replacement. What do you guys suggest?

for the steering block I would get the graphite
Old 05-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Would it be smart to get the whole graphite kit? Do you know the part number? I'll probably be breaking more parts
Old 05-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Buy the Losi steering blocks, and install them on your TC3. They are much more durable. They are a direct fit.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

The full graphite kit is a nice upgrade, rc10.com will list the part #'s on all the parts.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

I wouldn't get the full graphite kit. I don't think the graphite chassis braces and the graphite shock towers are completly necesary. Besides the composite is better on paved surfaces. I just replace my composite pieces with graphite pieces as they break..... But if you're racing on carpet I would suggest the graphite conversion kit because the graphite is better on carpet. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

This might be a stupid question, but why would composite be better on concrete, better yet, why would it have any effect?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

I would go with the plastic steering blocks. I have broken some graphite parts on my TC3 very easily.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the complete graphite conversion. I would only go with the chassis because it takes off the most weight. The other parts are just for show.

Hope this helps
Old 05-24-2003, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The thing about regular composite & graphite-filled parts is that the graphite does make the part stonger & lighter, but also more brittle, so if you hit something hard enough, it would be more likely to break than a regular composite part. And of course with "carbon fiber"(which is essentially graphite) parts, they can't be molded like the others, so the stuff is only good for certain things, like bottom chassis plates or shock towers, things like that, but in those uses the stuff is VERY strong(though I don't know that it'd be any stronger than graphite-filled molded parts)....
Old 05-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think the composite would be better on paved surfaces because it flexes more. So it makes you car a little easier to drive and the extra flex is nice because paved surfaces arn't usually as perfect as carpet it. Also on carpet you have more grip so usually a car will handle better and be more predictable with stiffer components. But most of the time only a really experianced driver can tell the difference. I can hardly tell, but than again I'm not that experianced either .
Old 05-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For some chassis parts I'd agree, but for a steering block I don't think that would make any difference in handling, only in how strong it is....
Old 05-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I agree. Get the Losi composite steering block. The steering block wouldn't affect handling, except it will hold up better, and a car with a busted steering block doesn't handle very well . You may need to dial in a bit of dual rate because I've heard the Losi steering blocks on the tc3 give you a lot more steering throw.