Wiki Posts
Search

LRP Pulsar 3 - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation

Coons888 suggested to use the motor breakin feature and it might put enough voltage into the batteries to charge at reguar mode!
I never did that before but it's worth a try!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigemike
I just need to know if there is a way to set the charger so it has a long lockout. or will charge a completely dead pack I don't need to know how to run my lipo 7.4volt pack in my 4 cell oval car????? anyways if anyone has found a way to charge dead shorted packs with the pulsar 3, then I want to know
It sounds like your Pulsar wants to see a certain voltage at the pack before it'll begine its charge. A NIMH coming off a dead short might not have sufficient voltage for the Pulsar to believe it's hooked up to a valid pack.

One possible solution might be to use the motor run feature and hit the pack with 3 or 4 volts for a few seconds before trying to start the charge, that ought to bump the pack's voltage to the point where the Pulsar will then see it as ready to go...

I have to mention, I don't own a Pulsar3, so this idea may not work, also I can't really say if it's safe or not, so if you decide to try it, please do so under controlled conditions and don't hit the pack with the motor run feature for more than a few seconds...

Hope that helps.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

I use the motor run in feature all the time to bump up the voltage in semi dead packs that I just use for bashing in my buggy, it works a treat. 5v for 5sec should do the trick.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Tech Addict

@bigmike: the advise to use the motor run-in feature for a few seconds is actually good, that will most likely work with no problem to get the voltage up from your dead-shorted packs.
So definitely you should try that, should be simple and easy to do.

The Pulsar3 does not need long-lockout for peak-detection, only chargers with not so advanced peak detection need this feature because otherwise they would false peak have into the charge. At least myself I have never seen a Pulsar false-peaking, so no need for the long-lockout.
As said before by other users, your problem that it doesn't start to charge your dead-shorted packs is not related to that feature but simply due to the fact that the Multi-Protection-System from the Pulsar3 does not recognise your dead-shorted pack as a pack it's willing to charge (it thinks there is no pack or a broken pack).
Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

A bit off-topic question: I have a LRP sport charger. It works great, and like burito said it nevers false peak. But i would prefer my packs to peak at lower temp (i already use the 5mv setting). Does the pulsar 3 improves this, or is it similar to the old pulsar sport?

FYI, i like IB4200 to peak at ~45ºC

thank you