Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have some used pro4 parts im looking to get rid of. I bought a partial car for the spares that would fit the cyclone. I have a one way, some diff gears, chassis, top deck, motor mount, input shafts for the diffs with bearings, shaft, front and rear towers etc etc. If anyone is interested please pm me and I will get some pics taken.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Just wanted to let everyone know that we decided to take an additional 25% off our prices on remaining Pro 4 parts. Get them while they last.

Kraig
KT Hobbies
Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default Diff Slipping

Hi guys, I am running the novak 4.5 bl setup in my pro4 and my rear differential starts slipping after 2 packs. I re-tighten it again and the same thing happens. I was using the 5.5 motor previously with no such problems. Anyone with solutions to this? Will the heavy duty differential screw nut...that comes standard in the pro4 2005 solve this problem? My pro4 is the older v1.1.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Voila! ... problem solved.. kind of.

I had a few moments before the start of the grand prix to tear the drivetrain apart, in went a new shaft (the "old" one was still very new - still true..), new pins, rebuilt the spur + layshaft assembly, re shimmed front and rear diffs...

Chucked a pack in and Bam. the shaft vibrated just as badly, and scratched itself up! (BOo HOoo..)

so i redid it, but swapped the front diff to a one-way and not it's smooth. I checked the outdrive on my spool and surely enough, they're pretty worn. So, all a case of the fron diff outdrives? perhaps.. i think it's just that the spool is so harsh. My cvd's are still pretty devoid of wear..(TiR units). so i guess the vibration is being passed on through the spool?..

anyhoo.. i'll just go back to running the one-way. (I prefer the one-way but the spool is nice too. It's just so stable..)
Old 05-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Pro 4 Diff Rear

Hello fellas! Just got a pro 4, and love it. One problem through....the stinking rear diff melted on me!!! I run a Sphere comp ESC w/ Neo One 4 star brushless motor...are the diffs this fragile? The car just wouldn't accelerate, and when I opened the diff case, it smelled as if something burned. Sure enough, the diff out drives rings melted. Does HPI make metal or aluminum diffs. Maybe the Cyclone rear diff outdrives can be used? What do you suggest?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Hello fellas! Just got a pro 4, and love it. One problem through....the stinking rear diff melted on me!!! I run a Sphere comp ESC w/ Neo One 4 star brushless motor...are the diffs this fragile? The car just wouldn't accelerate, and when I opened the diff case, it smelled as if something burned. Sure enough, the diff out drives rings melted. Does HPI make metal or aluminum diffs. Maybe the Cyclone rear diff outdrives can be used? What do you suggest?

ygpm
Old 05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

The diffs don't usually melt. This is the first time I've heard of such instance. The Pro4 has been tested and raced by different drivers worldwide for the past three years. Hara used countless modified motors on his Pro4. Other guys run brushless systems on their Pro4s too. HPI does not make aluminum diffs. Only aluminum bevel gears for the Pro4. Cyclone's outdrives won't fit the Pro4 even if you try to customize it, it just won't do.

I'm sure that even if your motor gets really hot, it still won't damage your diffs. Because it will melt the plastic bevel gears first in case it reaches the diffs. Check your diffs because it might be to tight and that may have caused the melting of the outdrives. If it's too tight, the bearings won't freely spin arund the diff rings and that will create a lot of friction that will lead to over heating.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by diesel
Hi guys, I am running the novak 4.5 bl setup in my pro4 and my rear differential starts slipping after 2 packs. I re-tighten it again and the same thing happens. I was using the 5.5 motor previously with no such problems. Anyone with solutions to this? Will the heavy duty differential screw nut...that comes standard in the pro4 2005 solve this problem? My pro4 is the older v1.1.

Thanks.
The heavy duty nuts will help. But if symptoms persist, try putting thread lock on the nut before retightening. Surle it will work.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Default PRO 4 Rear diff

OK. THanks...how tight should they be when running brushless NOvak 4.5 motor or equivalents? Should I tighten them as the book says, or is it just a matter of testing it out untill I see that it works? Also, what the difference between the standard pro 4 rear diff black composite outdrives versus the white delrin outdrives? I ahve to get new diffs and would like to know which to get- which is the best quality and stronger material?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

OK. THanks...how tight should they be when running brushless NOvak 4.5 motor or equivalents? Should I tighten them as the book says, or is it just a matter of testing it out untill I see that it works? Also, what the difference between the standard pro 4 rear diff black composite outdrives versus the white delrin outdrives? I ahve to get new diffs and would like to know which to get- which is the best quality and stronger material?
Just tighten the diffs according to the manual. But there has to be a little slip when you spin the rear wheel while holding the spur and the other wheel.

The difference of the stock outdrives from the delrin is toughness The delrin outdrives are much stronger. Very reliable.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default Set Up Sheets

Where can I see some set up sheets. At our local club we started a new class, open mod, brushless, w/ lipo batteries. Most guys are using the tc4, while I am the sole pro4. However, I need some basic setup sheet info for asphalt track with OK traction. Check HPI website but they only seem to have pro 3 set-up sheets or for carpet! There has to be a place I can get set up sheets for asphalt w/ rubber tires...thanks...
Old 05-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Where can I see some set up sheets. At our local club we started a new class, open mod, brushless, w/ lipo batteries. Most guys are using the tc4, while I am the sole pro4. However, I need some basic setup sheet info for asphalt track with OK traction. Check HPI website but they only seem to have pro 3 set-up sheets or for carpet! There has to be a place I can get set up sheets for asphalt w/ rubber tires...thanks...
Here are a few set up sheet from Hara and Andy Moore.

Attached Thumbnails Hpi Pro 4-hara-set-up-sheet-pro4.jpg   Hpi Pro 4-andy-moore-set-up-sheet-2-pro4.jpg   Hpi Pro 4-andy-moore-set-up-sheet-pro4.jpg  
Old 05-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What does the HPI pink 6548 compare in lbs? Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raptor 700
What does the HPI pink 6548 compare in lbs? Thanks
18lbs.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

now that Tamiya is set to release the new Evo-V
and Yok has the SD-LCG . both cars having low CG and aluminum bulkheads

Wonder if HPI is working on working a similar concept..presumably the Pro5?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.