Search
Like Tree86Likes

Hpi Pro 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thegreatimpulse
The track that I race on is very small and with several tight turns. Is it just me or Pro 4 has a lot of slops in the steering and suspension? I really didn't expect this from a HPI Pro car. It almost makes me wanted to try out a X-ray car.
You don't by chance run at Socal do you?
If you look at Thad Garners Socal setup then you should know Socal is very small/ tight and ballistic. On tracks like this you need lots of turn in or you'll get punted right out of the line. Running here really benefits from running a one-way..... soooo.... if you can get used to the one way and have a good setup for it (asphalt right?) then you'll be money.

Your car doesn't look that bad. You obviously just need that little bit of edge. Giving the rear just a tad more droop like Greg mentioned, adding a little anti squat, raising the front inner camber link, removing big side flaps on the rear wing, trying a different body, going down to 2.5deg rear toe or lighter front oil/spring can all do the trick. Check to make sure also the front of your chassis isn't bottoming. That can definitely cuase push off power since you're at 3.5mm

I'm running the 2mm chassis by the way and loving it
Old 02-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default track side

why do people bring product boxes to the race track with them?
like 3pk boxes or charger boxes . people bring half of their house to the track ,what up with that.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LORD SHADO
why do people bring product boxes to the race track with them?
like 3pk boxes or charger boxes . people bring half of their house to the track ,what up with that.
LOL , because if the two ever seperated they would never see each other again.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeR
You don't by chance run at Socal do you?
If you look at Thad Garners Socal setup then you should know Socal is very small/ tight and ballistic. On tracks like this you need lots of turn in or you'll get punted right out of the line. Running here really benefits from running a one-way..... soooo.... if you can get used to the one way and have a good setup for it (asphalt right?) then you'll be money.

Your car doesn't look that bad. You obviously just need that little bit of edge. Giving the rear just a tad more droop like Greg mentioned, adding a little anti squat, raising the front inner camber link, removing big side flaps on the rear wing, trying a different body, going down to 2.5deg rear toe or lighter front oil/spring can all do the trick. Check to make sure also the front of your chassis isn't bottoming. That can definitely cuase push off power since you're at 3.5mm

I'm running the 2mm chassis by the way and loving it
LOL, MikeR, no, I live about 2000 miles from Socal. Is Socal that small and tight? I have heard about Socal for several years now; You don't happen to have a picture of the track, do you? I'll take a close look Thad's setup.

Like I said, the track is only 40' by 80' (maybe larger this year if we change the layout). I like oneway alright, not like some people absolutely hated it. I just found that the car is on the edge too much, and see, I am not that good of a driver , I am pretty experinced in this hobby (12+ years), but as far as race people in a tight track, I am pretty new. On the track, me and other drivers can't help to "touch" a few times, and I really don't want to spin myself out.

I noticed that you have a 415MS, how's that car compare to Pro 4. It's more like modern belt vs shaft (this topic has been beaten to death ever since TC3 came out). Not which car is comapre, but what's the difference in feeling. I am a bit temping to get a belt driven car, mainly because they seemed to be easier to adjust, especially T2. I have no doubt that I can Pro 4 to run really good, but it's not the easiest car to make some of the adjustments.

Appreciate the input
Old 02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
The Evicerator

Hey guys!

Does anyone have a line on aluminum steering knuckles for this car...?

I checked HKmodel and precision RC but no luck...

If you have any info on them please let me know!

Please PM me the info!!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

LOL, MikeR, no, I live about 2000 miles from Socal. Is Socal that small and tight? I have heard about Socal for several years now; You don't happen to have a picture of the track, do you? I'll take a close look Thad's setup.

Like I said, the track is only 40' by 80' (maybe larger this year if we change the layout). I like oneway alright, not like some people absolutely hated it. I just found that the car is on the edge too much, and see, I am not that good of a driver , I am pretty experinced in this hobby (12+ years), but as far as race people in a tight track, I am pretty new. On the track, me and other drivers can't help to "touch" a few times, and I really don't want to spin myself out.

I noticed that you have a 415MS, how's that car compare to Pro 4. It's more like modern belt vs shaft (this topic has been beaten to death ever since TC3 came out). Not which car is comapre, but what's the difference in feeling. I am a bit temping to get a belt driven car, mainly because they seemed to be easier to adjust, especially T2. I have no doubt that I can Pro 4 to run really good, but it's not the easiest car to make some of the adjustments.

Appreciate the input
The reason your one way is on edge is because your setup isnt right. On a small track a one-way setup can absolutely kill, but you have to have it setup for the constant acceleration and braking that the car goes through on tight tracks.

The key is getting your front to rear setup right. Whats probably happening for you is that the car is transferring to much weight forward when you start to corner, and then coming out of the corner its probably transfering too much rearward.
Because a one-way gives you so much off power steering you have to tune the car to counteract this.
For example:
  • Reduce front arm angle, via 1.5 or 2.0 block.
  • Run anti-dive & anti-squat (0.5mm split).
  • Run low droop.
  • Use softer bladders (40 maybe), maybe dont use rebound foam either.

those sorts of adjustments will let you control the front-rear weight transfer.

try that!

one-way fo life
Old 02-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Appreciate the input
I know you said you don't like the chatter from the spool, but I think you should give it another try. The spool on a Pro4 and a tight track makes lots of sense. You can brake with no spin, you get lots of turn in and lots of power out of even the tightest turns.

Ira
Old 02-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evicerator
Hey guys!

Does anyone have a line on aluminum steering knuckles for this car...?

I checked HKmodel and precision RC but no luck...

If you have any info on them please let me know!

Please PM me the info!!
Check out speedtechrc
http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?catmainid=341
Old 02-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys, sound's like I need to try just about everything again. I guess I'll start with front diff since we only have limited time at the track each time. I know that a lot of the pros use spool on asphalt, but I am wondering are those the track with slightly larger turns then the hairpins that I am dealing with. I tried several setup with spool, but couldn't seem to get enough off power steering. On power steering was awesome though.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by iblumberg
I know you said you don't like the chatter from the spool, but I think you should give it another try. The spool on a Pro4 and a tight track makes lots of sense. You can brake with no spin, you get lots of turn in and lots of power out of even the tightest turns.

Ira
you do get brake with no spin but you dont get lots of turn in with a spool.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, sound's like I need to try just about everything again. I guess I'll start with front diff since we only have limited time at the track each time. I know that a lot of the pros use spool on asphalt, but I am wondering are those the track with slightly larger turns then the hairpins that I am dealing with. I tried several setup with spool, but couldn't seem to get enough off power steering. On power steering was awesome though.
spool has lowest off power steering. has good throttle control in corners.
diff has medium off power steering, and excellent throttle control in corners.
one way has max off power steering, throttle must be intelligently used in corners.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default racing asphalt

ill be looking at that set up . ill be racing on a asphalt track with hair pin turns .new pro 4 , any more tips guys.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default tires

what are the best tire (rubber tires) for a in door track. and also tire inserts.? asphalt track.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LORD SHADO
what are the best tire (rubber tires) for a in door track. and also tire inserts.? asphalt track.
You cant go wrong with Sorex. Ask what most racers are running on your track and experiment from there. Most people in my track use Sorex tires with either Hara, Sorex, HPI or Speedmind inserts in medium compound.

I read somewhere that inserts with airgap have more traction compared to those without. Someone correct me on this.

http://www.teamsorexusa.com/
Old 02-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Default thanks

i hate your monkey ----kill it please ill be looking at those tire ,ill get back to you. lets do a vote ----kill the monkey or not to kill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.