Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Tamiya F103 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

54158. They're all over ebay so finding one isnt a problem.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2019, 10:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default f103 tyres.

Does anyone know where to buy f103 tyres these days there getting harder to find
Old 10-08-2019, 10:56 AM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Corty250
Does anyone know where to buy f103 tyres these days there getting harder to find
Which tires are you looking for?
Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default F103 tires

check out
F1 RC Car Tires - Best Rubber Tyres For F103, F104, FGX, F10 Cars
Old 10-09-2019, 01:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default f103 tyres.

rubber tyres preferably ride.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I think you want to run Ride on ride wheels to stay at 200mm?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I think you want to run Ride on ride wheels to stay at 200mm?
I found tyres in Hong Kong finally back in stock thanks.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Exclamation Handling issue

I thnk the answer to my question might lie someone in this section and I will attempt to read it but there's a lot so I'll ask the question anyway.

I'm racing my f103 in an iconic series starting at the end of May 2021. I've done what amounts to almost a full rebuild, replaced all the screws, built the diff, rebuilt the diff, rebuilt the diff again, put biggerr tyres on her increasing the ride height by about 5mm. New protoform wings front and rear along with new protoform shell (the Williams Walrus nose looking one), 3d printed a halo and diffuser, but past a certain speed the car is spinning and swapping ends and doesn't want to go fast round corners without swapping ends either. Ok I've only rang it outside my building in the car park on a surface that isn't as a flat as a track, but I've not been that demanding of it either. I had similar problems with the f109 I had from new which I think was resolved with the side bars on it, but seeing as the the f103 doesn't have those, I was focusing on the ride height and diff. The diff is as good as I'm going to get it, so I'm stuck for answers now. I've not touched the friction plate and was going to rebuild it (it hasn't been touched since I bought it in the 90's), but I read that doing this makes no difference to the handling at all. I've messed with the springs in different positions and stiffness, but still nothing.

I've got less than 3 weeks to get this working, so any help or advice will be more than welcome.

I'm running a brushless speedo (lrp spx) with a brushed team powers motor (guessing it's a 27 turn or equivalent).
Old 05-09-2021, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

#1 is tires and tire preparation in your case. Foam or rubber?

Also, any dirty surface is going to be tough for F1. Hopefully the track will at least be blown off.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sldmodels
I thnk the answer to my question might lie someone in this section and I will attempt to read it but there's a lot so I'll ask the question anyway.

I'm racing my f103 in an iconic series starting at the end of May 2021. I've done what amounts to almost a full rebuild, replaced all the screws, built the diff, rebuilt the diff, rebuilt the diff again, put biggerr tyres on her increasing the ride height by about 5mm. New protoform wings front and rear along with new protoform shell (the Williams Walrus nose looking one), 3d printed a halo and diffuser, but past a certain speed the car is spinning and swapping ends and doesn't want to go fast round corners without swapping ends either. Ok I've only rang it outside my building in the car park on a surface that isn't as a flat as a track, but I've not been that demanding of it either. I had similar problems with the f109 I had from new which I think was resolved with the side bars on it, but seeing as the the f103 doesn't have those, I was focusing on the ride height and diff. The diff is as good as I'm going to get it, so I'm stuck for answers now. I've not touched the friction plate and was going to rebuild it (it hasn't been touched since I bought it in the 90's), but I read that doing this makes no difference to the handling at all. I've messed with the springs in different positions and stiffness, but still nothing.

I've got less than 3 weeks to get this working, so any help or advice will be more than welcome.

I'm running a brushless speedo (lrp spx) with a brushed team powers motor (guessing it's a 27 turn or equivalent).
Knowing the F103 and Iconic Cup, a lot of the problems you describe will be down to the car park being dusty and having less grip than the circuits we race on.

Tyre additive also helps in the dry. Usually something thicker and oilier for me for foams on the F103.

Too much ride height can be a problem. Not much you can do about that at the front, and at the rear I'm assuming your F103 has ride height adjustment spacers. Aim for 5mm ride height at least, and a mm or so more on bumpier tracks.

The friction damper is more important than you may reaslie. I'd personally avoid thick grease on that as it makes the car very aggressive, so recommend cleaning it up and a light grease on the plates. Also worth checking the bottom T-piece screws are not too tight and the pod moves smoothly from side to side.

Check the front king pins can move smoothly up and down for their full travel. If there is any resistance and I'd recommend polishing the king pins (spin in a Dremel, and use fine glass/sand paper to polish).

Getting the diff set right will help. The F1 racers are a good bunch, so don't be shy and go ask them to check yours at practice or a race day.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Mark
jgil089 likes this.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MarkBurgess
Knowing the F103 and Iconic Cup, a lot of the problems you describe will be down to the car park being dusty and having less grip than the circuits we race on.

Tyre additive also helps in the dry. Usually something thicker and oilier for me for foams on the F103.

Too much ride height can be a problem. Not much you can do about that at the front, and at the rear I'm assuming your F103 has ride height adjustment spacers. Aim for 5mm ride height at least, and a mm or so more on bumpier tracks.

The friction damper is more important than you may reaslie. I'd personally avoid thick grease on that as it makes the car very aggressive, so recommend cleaning it up and a light grease on the plates. Also worth checking the bottom T-piece screws are not too tight and the pod moves smoothly from side to side.

Check the front king pins can move smoothly up and down for their full travel. If there is any resistance and I'd recommend polishing the king pins (spin in a Dremel, and use fine glass/sand paper to polish).

Getting the diff set right will help. The F1 racers are a good bunch, so don't be shy and go ask them to check yours at practice or a race day.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Mark
good advice. I modified the T plate to have tweak screws to make sure there is no tweak in the car. Also not sure what tires you have to run but we used rubber tires, which look a lot more realistic. I put hard tires on the front and softs in the rear. Partial sauce in front and full sauce in the rear. The soft rear tires really helped with the car getting loose. Now retired it’s the gem of my shelf queens in its scale red/white McLaran Marlboro Ford livery - thanks Doug Mertes (aka RC Car Doc). For those who remember that far back

Last edited by John Wallace2; 05-23-2021 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hello all
I have a top deck for my f103. Should I be installing it? I want the car to flex and am worried this will make the car too stiff.
Also I have bearings where the rear axle ride height adjustments go...should i swap those out and get more tuning or am i good with the bearings? Ride height is 1mm diffrence front to back 4-5mm. I like my tires!
ty
-devin
Old 06-21-2023, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

man, i really need to update my f1 as its 30yrs old. LOL
Gonna try some different spur gears this coming weekend or hopefully before than.
Got a kimblough and a stock replacement...as well as the 1 that came on my car.
Not sure what to expect other than acceleration or top end changes out of the turns or straights and sweeps.
Havent driven the car or raced it in quite some time so feeling a bit needy or deprived. LOL
-d
Old 06-21-2023, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
Got a kimblough...
ARG:6 Undefined likes this
gigaplex likes this.