Wiki Posts
Search

Local Racing Fees

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFCJ
WRONG! It was a $12 race fee. The re-constructed pool table smooth track surface, the additional 60 pit spaces, the additional monitors, the free use of tire truers, and the new scoring software WAS well worth the piddly $3 increase per race.
Sorry guess my memory has faded. Please understand I paid it. Many others did not though.

Pool table smooth track surface - I guess that was more of an oval thing? I dont think a semi-smooth surface would have been an issue with the TCs. Not sure on the 12th scale

Additional 60 pit spaces - why?? They hosted only 1 big race that I remember after that

New scoring software - I actually liked the old better since the result were online.

Free use of tire truer - The vaccuum and air was nice. Plenty of tire truers though.

After the upgrade there were less racers. In my opinion perhaps not worth it. Its all very sad regardless.

Im sorry Im not trying to make this a WoH thing. Its just my point of reference locally.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

In the Netherlands we pay 10 euro ( 13,50 dollar ) for an sunday outdoorrace on a permanent track 3 qual / 2 finals.
training for non-members 7,50 euro

For indoor racing we pay 10 - 15 euro's a day
Old 08-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Here in Western Australia for a semi-permanent track where we have to rock up in the evenings around 6pm, roll out the carpets, set the track and AMB system up, race, then pack the track up; race fees are A$7.00 for members, and A$9.00 for non-members. We have a regular showing of around 30-40 racers every tuesday night.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

good debate Mr. McSmooth
OVRCCC has been discussing raising their race fees for several years
Non-Members
$8 1st
$5 2nd ect

Members
$5 1st
$3 2nd ect

[Trophy race fees higher]

we currently race on an older paved track, upkeep is quite expensive [50% increase this year to resurface!] and quite time consuming,
Also we race carpet [keep your fingers crossed!] also expensive
our members do everything they can do to keep the cost down,
higher costs = lower turnout
with the added expense of fuel just getting to the tracks costs more, then the costs of being competitive is also quite out of reach of most racers,
We [OVRCCC] believe you need to keep racers coming back EVERY week to race, to do so you must make it affordable, The 'Better half' won't complain nearly as much if you spend $13 to race vs $25! Especially if you take her out for dinner with the $$ you saved!

Speedy Bill
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

my track charges 15 for the first entry, and 10 for all extra's, though you only race one class.

there are lots of off roaders at my track, and just a few on-road folks.
in fact, there's usually only one, maybe 2 classes of onroad anything. the classes have just 5 or so people in them. and those people have been racing for years... they have all the expensive stuff and equipment, and its pretty much hopeless for a rookie in on-road class, cause theres no rookie on-road.

my .02 cents...
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Suspended

After two slow summers in a row, my local track raised the rate from $12 to $15. I'd much rather pay the extra $3 than have nowhere to race. I think it's very difficult to find that perfect price point because racing (including gas money) is so expensive as it is. For example, I only race twice per month and would race more if gas for my 1:1 car was cheaper and if tires for my toy car were cheaper. The track fee has never been a prohibitive factor to keep me from racing, but a $20 - $30 track fee could end up becoming the straw that breaks the camel's back and might force me to only race once per month. Consequently, the track would end up getting less money in total from me.

One more thing:

My "local" track is the only indoor facility in the U.S. with offroad, onroad, and oval tracks all under one roof. I think that's a great idea because it can attract more racers than the usual track and I'm sure having more than one track helps weather droughts when one class is more popular than the other, kind of like how offroad is more popular than onroad there right now...
Old 08-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Something else to consider as well, local hobby shops can have many different approaches to racing.

1. The track/shop owner can keep racing fees low in hopes of attracting a larger turnout, but keep replacement parts and tires at normal prices.

2. The LHS racing fees can be between $10 - $20, and then slightly lower the cost of replacement parts to help the racer enjoy a lighter hit in the wallet per weekend.

3. The LHS racing fees can be between $10 to $20 and not change their retail pricing structure to support racing. This will work initially, but attendance will fall-off when racers wallets began to dry, ending in frustration.

4. Race Tracks that are stand-alone without LHS support can attract people initially, but if the LHS are too far away, racers will quit coming, as a broken parts mean you're out for the day.

In the end, what the RC industry needs is for all the manufacturers to push for advertising and lower prices. I understand carbon fiber, research, etc... push costs higher and higher, but if manufacturers would start sharing some parts between models and manufacturers, the cost can come down.

So keep complaining about Local Racing Fees, and in the end you still won't have addressed the real problem. The cost of racing...
Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Its funny to read people bitch about the price of entry fees.

Entry fees are the least expensive component of these cars.

People will complain about paying $10-$20 to race but yet they'll go and spend $200 on the latest speedo.

Where is the Irony??
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Local track is pretty much just a carpet facility (but the only one in the area) with a hobby shop. There are currently two Hobbytown's in the metro area (there were three, only one even does parking lot racing once a month) so competition on parts prices is pretty normal, and that doesn't take into consideration the internet. In the end having other local hobby shops is a good thing, so the track has no intention of trying to put them out of business (more stores spread across the area equals more visibility). But that means we have to make our money on race fees, so we had to raise them from $10 to $15, and there was minimal backlash. Can't make much of a comment on its true effect on turnout yet, as in the summer turnout has always been agonizingly low, but its hasn't helped it...but the doors are still open and the fall's right around the corner so it might have done the trick.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Racing on a consistent basis will always be expensive no matter what you are racing. There is no real way to address that problem. Racing multiplies wear and tear on any platform, replacing parts will always be part of the game. It is something you have to account for. I definately agree on paying a little more in order to keep tracks operational. We have had tracks close (South Fl.) and it really sucks, given a second chance I would have payed double just to keep the track open. Unfortunately raising entry fees will in the end deter potential racers.

Here's an idea, if you have 20 racers willing to pay $15 but have 40 racers willing to pay $10 then obviously it would make sense to keep it at 10. An idea would be to have a "donation box", a tip jar if you will, at the events. Maybe it can be labeled "keep the track open" or something to that effect. This way the regulars can toss in some bucks and the newcomers would not be scared off at the entry fee. Just a thought.......
Old 08-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

excelent point buckeye! If compared the car prices to the entry fee, it's at least 1:100 per race. What's the point investing in the car, if you are not racing it against others??

If answering the original question, here in Latvia we have ~10$ entry fee. If not registered online, then the fee is raised by 2$. Considering to raise it for the carpet season, because we need to rent the place and the carpet wears out. As we can gather in our small country 30 drivers TOP and we don't have any sponsors for onroad (we have a plenty of them in off-rad though), it's hard to get things going with those few bucks
Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by buckeye-mac
Its funny to read people bitch about the price of entry fees.

Entry fees are the least expensive component of these cars.

People will complain about paying $10-$20 to race but yet they'll go and spend $200 on the latest speedo.

Where is the Irony??
I think some people feel after spending $1000 to be able to race that they have paid enough to the hobby shop to not get nickeled and dimed on race fees. Right or wrong some people feel that way unfortunately. Id like to see stores that are tied to tracks offer free race fees for X amount of races when you make certain purchases there. It encourages people to spend their money with the LHS and they get a bit in return.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
Racing fee is NOT how these track make their money....most of the time, is the hobbyshop inside.
though there will always be exceptions, i believe this is a key for long-term success. if i were a shop owner, i would not be looking at racing fees as a direct source of profit but rather as an investment in the business. providing a track and organized racing not only creates a media for advertising your product, but also encourages current customers to use (more of) the consumables they already own (meaning they'll buy more).
Old 08-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I think some people feel after spending $1000 to be able to race that they have paid enough to the hobby shop to not get nickeled and dimed on race fees. Right or wrong some people feel that way unfortunately. Id like to see stores that are tied to tracks offer free race fees for X amount of races when you make certain purchases there. It encourages people to spend their money with the LHS and they get a bit in return.
That is one good thought. Again, another post stating that it is the COST of racing, not the fees that key. Another hobby killer is the attitude of some LHS, or some employee's in the LHS. Nothing kills sales quicker than crappy customer service and attitudes.

One option I've mentioned before is to sell car kits in the store at 1/2 price. Maybe sell at normal price, but then give them a discount card for 50% off all non-electronic parts for half the value of the car kit. the LHS just need to make the people feel like the LHS owner wants them there, and to return for some friendly competion/racing.

I have a Hobby Town by me in Arlington, Texas, and I swear, they have some of the laziest employee's I've ever seen. Parts are hanging in the right places, paint in the wrong slots, etc... what are they doing with their time. One day I literally stood at the car counter for 10-minutes while waiting to buy a battery. During my 10-minute wait, the lazy employee behind the counter carried on a personal non-hobby conversion on the LHS phone. Wonder how many customers called during that time that he ignored? Anyway, I was about to leave without part in hand, then the lazy employee finally said hang-on to his phone call, then asked me what I needed. I finally got the battery, then paid and left.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kn7671
One option I've mentioned before is to sell car kits in the store at 1/2 price. Maybe sell at normal price, but then give them a discount card for 50% off all non-electronic parts for half the value of the car kit. the LHS just need to make the people feel like the LHS owner wants them there, and to return for some friendly competion/racing.
Unfortunately the mark up on kits and electronics (by a LHS) is usually less then 20%. One of our local tracks gives 10% off parts purchases by racers on race days. Its something at least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.