R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #3016
Tech Master
 
Kropy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 1,763
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
IMO its not impressive
Well If Wally doesn't like it, I guess it's no good
__________________
Dale "Kropy" Kropaczewski
Kolors by Kropy
Postman, Save a spot on the stand for me
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #3017
Tech Master
 
rcgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trips View Post
Here are a few pics..

First one, you can see how much longer the upper arm is by looking at the turnbuckle... a LOT more threads showing than the normal way.

Second pic shows the view from below... you can see the cut off 0 degree mount sandwiched in there...

Third pic... disassembled - here you can see the cut-off 0 degree arm mount... pretty easy to do.

I can't say I've felt a lot of difference, but I think it makes the car a little more comfortable to drive when the grip comes up... I haven't really tested a lot, I've been running the old skool front end on my Rev4.5 and now the "formula" front end on my Rev5.

Hope that was clear...
This is what I use, but mainly for my oval cars. I might have to try it out on the 1/12 car too.

http://www.swiftracingproducts.com/S...95&InfoID=5068
rcgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #3018
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropy View Post
Well If Wally doesn't like it, I guess it's no good
did not say that

but others have said the same.
think it will work better than there old one.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #3019
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,530
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Considering the "new" front end came out in the early nineties (???), it's good to see they have their thinking caps on.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #3020
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 3,940
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgen View Post
This is what I use, but mainly for my oval cars. I might have to try it out on the 1/12 car too.

http://www.swiftracingproducts.com/S...95&InfoID=5068

Those are sweet!! Lengthening the arm definitely smooths the car out as well as adds a little more steering. Most of all you can drive a little more aggressively like this.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #3021
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mclean, VA
Posts: 3,940
Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default

So I'm thinking about playing around with rear roll center this weekend. I was thinking about placing the same size shims under the rear center pivot on the main chassis and the hole mounts on the rear lower pod. In doing this do you think I need to do anything to the side pivot heights? It doesn't seem like I'd have to touch the side pivots. I was surprised the car was planted with a 4.5 BL and want to loosen the rear just a little.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:05 PM   #3022
Tech Fanatic
 
darnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 936
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The DB12R did great at Cleveland this year, if I am not mistaken BMI at one point or another during qualifying had at least one and I think up to 2 cars in the show. Looks like a tremendous showing to me.

A factory sponsored driver once told me that when you get to a race like Cleveland the first 30 spots are supposed to already be sown up by the factory/100% sponsored guys. ANY time you can crack in the top 30 at races like this you have REALLY accomplished something and the BMI stock drivers where in there.
__________________
Team Top Racing USA,Team MaClan ESC, Pro One Tires, Hot Race Tires
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #3023
Tech Elite
 
schreff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,015
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff
Default

Yo fellas... man, what a tough week at Cleveland. All in all, I'd have to say I learned a lot about the DB12R. There's still much more to learn.

I mentioned to people earlier that I ran some parts that were prototypes over the stock car kit. Those parts were Jason's new cross brace, which is something he's releasing and I also had a different chassis plate. The test chassis I have is 3mm shorter in wheelbase from the front end. I'm not quite sure this helped or hurt. It turned better than the stock car, but when it got bumpy, it probably hurt. I also had much thinner side plates to work with from testing of the original DB12R from back at SnowBirds. Here's the setup I ran...

-Front-
.018 springs with #4 WindTunnel Dampening Fluid
BMI #2 spacers
.010 preload in the front springs
-1.5 camber
.020 shims added to the front axles to widen the front end
4 degrees caster
Servo angled
0 degree toe

-Rear-
Red Center shock spring
50wt oil in Center shock
#4 WindTunnel Dampening Fluid in the tubes
.060 side plates
3.5 rear ride height adjusters in down position

I forget how long the center shock is. I know the car had roughly 1mm of pod droop. It was 3.5mm in ride height at race weight. Tires were Parma Magenta front and Parma Grey rear. The rear was widened to 172. Parmas have a 1.5mm offset. I also ran a Parma Speed 8 Lightweight.

I think that about does it on the setup. I can't think of anything else.

The biggest issue I had with the car was just keeping it smooth. Earlier in the week, it was fast enough to easily make the show. When the track started getting bumpy, the car kinda "went away" on me. I tried all sorts of things to combat it, but I never nailed it. The setup above was what I ran in the main and it was better than it was all weekend. It still needed work, but we're still learning the car.

I wanna thank Jay for getting the car to me in time to get some testing done. Unfortunately, we no longer have a track locally. We're working on that though. Things will only get better.
__________________
-Jason Schreffler-
TLR|Horizon Hobby|Spektrum|AKA|Team CRC|CR Graphics|TQ Wire|Radio Impound Podcast
schreff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #3024
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schreff View Post
Yo fellas... man, what a tough week at Cleveland. All in all, I'd have to say I learned a lot about the DB12R. There's still much more to learn.

I mentioned to people earlier that I ran some parts that were prototypes over the stock car kit. Those parts were Jason's new cross brace, which is something he's releasing and I also had a different chassis plate. The test chassis I have is 3mm shorter in wheelbase from the front end. I'm not quite sure this helped or hurt. It turned better than the stock car, but when it got bumpy, it probably hurt. I also had much thinner side plates to work with from testing of the original DB12R from back at SnowBirds. Here's the setup I ran...

-Front-
.018 springs with #4 WindTunnel Dampening Fluid
BMI #2 spacers
.010 preload in the front springs
-1.5 camber
.020 shims added to the front axles to widen the front end
4 degrees caster
Servo angled
0 degree toe

-Rear-
Red Center shock spring
50wt oil in Center shock
#4 WindTunnel Dampening Fluid in the tubes
.060 side plates
3.5 rear ride height adjusters in down position

I forget how long the center shock is. I know the car had roughly 1mm of pod droop. It was 3.5mm in ride height at race weight. Tires were Parma Magenta front and Parma Grey rear. The rear was widened to 172. Parmas have a 1.5mm offset. I also ran a Parma Speed 8 Lightweight.

I think that about does it on the setup. I can't think of anything else.

The biggest issue I had with the car was just keeping it smooth. Earlier in the week, it was fast enough to easily make the show. When the track started getting bumpy, the car kinda "went away" on me. I tried all sorts of things to combat it, but I never nailed it. The setup above was what I ran in the main and it was better than it was all weekend. It still needed work, but we're still learning the car.

I wanna thank Jay for getting the car to me in time to get some testing done. Unfortunately, we no longer have a track locally. We're working on that though. Things will only get better.

did you run the set screws in the flex plate at all?
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:24 AM   #3025
Tech Rookie
 
OleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 3
Default

Hi Jason.

I sent you an email for some days ago and wanted to order a DB12R, but I haven’t got any answer.
So I just wonder: have you got my order?

I just can’t wait driving indoor now.

Cheers!
__________________
Ole Steen Karlsen
Team Norway RC Racing
OleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:41 AM   #3026
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,829
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

We got it buddy. I just got it yesterday afternoon after getting back from the holidays weekend. I will shoot you an email this morning
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:58 AM   #3027
Tech Elite
 
schreff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,015
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to schreff
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
did you run the set screws in the flex plate at all?
No, I did not run the set screws in the flex plates.
__________________
-Jason Schreffler-
TLR|Horizon Hobby|Spektrum|AKA|Team CRC|CR Graphics|TQ Wire|Radio Impound Podcast
schreff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:13 AM   #3028
Tech Rookie
 
OleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 3
Default

Lovely Jason!
__________________
Ole Steen Karlsen
Team Norway RC Racing
OleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:41 AM   #3029
Tech Master
 
bigemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: hamilton, oh
Posts: 1,750
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike
Default

Good setup jason, that is basically where I ended up at for my carpet setup, but I was a little lighter in the center shock, which might of helped with the bumpy track. Good showing, and I hope you find a local track to run on soon. If you are near cincinnati come run with us at tri-state, I am sure you will find plenty of competition. We are also having a winterfest race that is going to be really big.
__________________
No sponsors. Love TLR, OS and Futaba though
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #3030
Tech Fanatic
 
darnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
Posts: 936
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

BigMike- Let us know when the Winterfest race will be and some particulars as this sounds like something to attend.
__________________
Team Top Racing USA,Team MaClan ESC, Pro One Tires, Hot Race Tires
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW IN BOX BMI DB12R bigb11 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 47 10-09-2008 04:36 PM
-BMI DB12R- joey R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 05-18-2008 09:25 PM
BMI DB12R wallstreet R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 17 02-15-2008 05:04 PM
BMI DB12R D-Bizzle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 12-21-2007 03:48 PM
WTB BMI DB12R chris moore R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 8 06-29-2007 06:25 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:48 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net