Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars? >

Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it time again for 1/10th scale pan cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

what if you tech tires for a weekend and limit the sets to ensure that people have to leave some meat on them to finish the weekend.. like two sets total? would also help keep it the cost effective class we hope it will be.. cause frankly, i'm a cheap bastard.. lol
Old 07-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b-man777
hey all:If you want a nw 1/10th on road pancar then look at what darkside motorsports is now offering coooool.

Available in black also.

-E
Old 07-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The last time I raced wide pan was about 5 years ago on carpet. It was an RC10L2. It was stock with 6 cells and I was 2/10ths per laps faster than sedan mod.

I race 1/12th all the time though on asphalt and carpet a couple times a year.

FYI, I didn't mean to say your were not a serious racer. I just meant that where you are running with 20 guys all in the same class and everyone is pushing each other to go faster things get a lot more serious...and expensive.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Champion

the whole idea behind this is to cut back on the tunability and cost of the cars so guys aren't tuning themselves right out of the race. nascar and other various racing series have done the same thing. guys just want to enjoy racing without having to spend hours trying to tune in a car only to have it be over in 5 mins.

the future of lipo/bl in any of the pan car classes will extend what we already do in 12th. "endurance racing" as we see it. in 10th specifically.. you can run 2 packs in parallel for even greater capacity (heavy fuel load, and associated weight penalty) or you can run 1 light load and come in earlier for a stop. don't have to worry about noise laws like the gas guys are hitting up against. some of the electric hard core guys will have a problem with this. but the guys who are life size racing fans will see the fun factor in not having to win it in the first few minutes, and the chance to change out a clip with 3? screws if you break something other than the chassis itself. ask the gas 8th (off or on-road) guys if they would race with a lighter car that could be repaired in a short time instead of being done when they've torn up the expensive tank that requires them to cram a hi dollar 5 hp just to keep it moving.

i have more on how this could play out on race day and how the formula would allow/promote better internet/tv coverage - like the real stuff. but its laaaate.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 AM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The trick with tires I use is this:
I run them in practice from full size to race size, then I put 'em away till I have at least 3 equal size sets. These sets I use for racing, and will let me have fun for months.
The tracks we run on are usually too slippery to run on really small tires, so the last few runs from tires are practice/training runs again.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would think that just getting the class going again would be enought. If someone wants to run one run tires good for him.Leave the minor stuff alone.Tire size is not the important thing here getting the class going is.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i just want to run my pan. period. and i'll tell you right now i'm gona run full size tires. i can't afford to shave off $10 worth of tire.. it's not in the budget.. and i'll happily come in second (or third or fourth) to someone that wants to win that bad... i like the cars. they are fast. they are cheap. and ith brushless, and maybe lipo, i think would be a great lower cost and maintenace class with more "driver feel" than touring cars..
Old 07-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tallyrc
i just want to run my pan. period. and i'll tell you right now i'm gona run full size tires. i can't afford to shave off $10 worth of tire.. it's not in the budget.. and i'll happily come in second (or third or fourth) to someone that wants to win that bad... i like the cars. they are fast. they are cheap. and ith brushless, and maybe lipo, i think would be a great lower cost and maintenace class with more "driver feel" than touring cars..
I agree...as a single dad just getting into this hobby, the cost of touring sedans almost made me choose a different hobby. And, considering my 10 yr old daughter wants to learn....well, how do I justify 2 TCs....so, that is why I am promoting Porsche Cup here in south Florida, and also why the pan cars have gotten my attention. One of the guys at the track in Coral Springs, my mentor(when he sees that I called him that he will crack up!) said that we will also try to get a class going for 1/10 pan because of the simplicity....and he runs TC!

I know some of you guys like all the high tech stuff...and that is awesome....but I just want to race. I used to be a sponsored shooter, and I always told the gunsmith.."You build them, I'll drive them...". I did not want to know all the tricks and slick this and tech that....I wanted the gun to feel a certain way in my hands....and during target transitions, splits, subjective feel, etc.

If this hobby/sport is going to get new blood there must be an entrance point....and this might be it. Ok, I'll shut up now....
Old 07-12-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

personally i prefer the pan car, currently there is no on road pan car class in my area. I still race oval with a pan car.

For a beginner, the pan car is not the best car to start with. It is rear drive and with the wedge type bodies can be diffiicult to control. twitchy and it spins out easily, especially if the track is not treated with some type of traction compound. the set up of a pan car is completely on another planet as compared to setting up the touring car. A old school pan car mentor would be helpful here. there are also over a dozen compounds avaialable for pan cars. green, blue, tan, silver, pink, purple, and on in obnausium. that is on another nest of worms to be learned.

you can get a competive touring car for $200 and under, the
Xray and tamiya Ta05 come to mind. also a set of sorex tires will give you 8 to 14 runs maybe more with a stock motor or silver can.
I race on road at the Tamiya TCS races with a stock TA05R. that I picked up for 250 but can be had for 230. I tried the tamiya F103 but did not like the way it handled with the rubber tires. if they allowed foams that would be another story.

However, if you determined to gert a pan car, there are several very nice ones out there. start with the AE 10L it is the simplest. these cars have become very sophisticated also. also see John Strananhans thread on pan car development in this forum under the Pantoura 1/10 pan car. this is not your normal every day 10L!

have fun

wn
Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default YES

The answer is yes, it is time. The big question is now that I have started a buzz on the boards is www.rctvlive.com going to mention it? Please mention me That would be a great way to get the word out there that there is a need/want for pancars
Old 07-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default sugarwater

The bad part is the on road tracks in Cali are closing. we will have to go back to parking lot racing with sugar water. Hey it worked then it will work again.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
the whole idea behind this is to cut back on the tunability and cost of the cars so guys aren't tuning themselves right out of the race. nascar and other various racing series have done the same thing. guys just want to enjoy racing without having to spend hours trying to tune in a car only to have it be over in 5 mins.

the future of lipo/bl in any of the pan car classes will extend what we already do in 12th. "endurance racing" as we see it. in 10th specifically.. you can run 2 packs in parallel for even greater capacity (heavy fuel load, and associated weight penalty) or you can run 1 light load and come in earlier for a stop. don't have to worry about noise laws like the gas guys are hitting up against. some of the electric hard core guys will have a problem with this. but the guys who are life size racing fans will see the fun factor in not having to win it in the first few minutes, and the chance to change out a clip with 3? screws if you break something other than the chassis itself. ask the gas 8th (off or on-road) guys if they would race with a lighter car that could be repaired in a short time instead of being done when they've torn up the expensive tank that requires them to cram a hi dollar 5 hp just to keep it moving.

i have more on how this could play out on race day and how the formula would allow/promote better internet/tv coverage - like the real stuff. but its laaaate.
I am ready for this to happen. Hello LMP1
Old 07-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Without reading through the whole thread... which I will do...eventually

Where, besides Darkside, and what are the options to get a roller, body, etc..

Pantoura? CRC? AE's still around? How about a 10L4 conversion?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE DARKSIDE
Available in black also.

-E
Hey can we get some new pics of the car with tires and electronics?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by AdrianM
There is a side benifit to 4 cells...

If you have a 1/12th car all you need to convert to 1/10th is a new rear axle setup, new front lower chassis and 1/10th tires.
Up here in Speedmerchant country we have been running the speed spec cars with silver can 540 motors and 4-cells. This has been an absolutely amazing class for newcomers as it's cheap and easy to maintain and the level of speed is perfect for people to start with. The Speedmerchant cars are 190-200mm, we have been running body series type races with the field currently wearing a muscle car theme. It's pretty cool to see a bunch of cars you can identify with running on the track together, it's helped draw spectators into the hobby more than any other class on the track.

I think that if everyone got together and perhaps made some rules up to tailor bodies to motors and created real classes this could totally take off. My thoughts on the topic:

All classes run 4 cells on a 200mm chassis, this would keep it simple for people to start out and move through the classes.

Class 1: Entry Level
Silver can 540 motors only.
Realistic street bodies that new racers can identify with.

Examples:
http://hpiracing.com/graphics/bodies...4/7494_04m.jpg
http://hpiracing.com/graphics/bodies...IMG_4874km.jpg
http://hpiracing.com/graphics/bodies...435/911k3m.jpg

Class 2: Stock
ROAR legal stock motors only.
Realistic GT style bodies, new racers can still identify but they will also associate the body styles with the increased speeds.

Examples:
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/bodies/7046_01m.jpg
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/pics/mca236.jpg
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/p/pftc9201.jpg

Class 3: Modified
ROAR legal modified motors to include brushless.
GTP style bodies, again identifiable but with a much higher level of performance. This should give new racers something to strive for and they should look impressive on the track.

Examples:
http://www.prolineracing.com/products/images/1480.jpg
http://yokomousa.com/bodies/RR.jpg
http://www.serpent.com/image.php?ImageID=14769

Given a little time to catch on I honestly think you would see a lot of newer touring car racers making the move. Running a pan car is much easier and far less expensive than trying to manage a sedan these days. This would get people on the track with a higher level of performance and probably help keep them on the track.

Thoughts?

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.