Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-stock Stock Motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Non-stock Stock Motors

I've heard a lot of talk lately about some really "hot" stock motors floating around, but my question is: how much different are these motors if the are supposedly "Stock"?

Are they putting bearings in them rather than bushings? Are they putting stand-up brushes on there rather than lay-down? Do those things matter all THAT much?
Old 04-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I understand that some manufacturers are putting out rebuildable outlaw stockers nowadays, i have not seen them but i believe they use hight timing, and shorter stack arms, therefore a shorter amount of wire, and some are even fewer than 27turns.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

you need to also realize that some of the motors that are becoming available, that are being called outlaws, are not even intended for ROAR approval.

for example, some of the new tamiya stock motors are making their way to the states. these motors are 23t motors with timing that is also differnet from the stock that we run here in the states.

thats becuase these motors were designed witht the intention of being run in japan.

so i hope that these are not the "outlaw" stocks that people are refering to. The reules in one country, may not neccessarily be the rules in another, and your local track should recognize the motors, and take the initiative to make sure that everyone follows the rules.

peter
Old 04-21-2003, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Problem is some of the outlaw motors utilise the same ROAR stamped cans, and thus can go past unteched if not pulled apart for teching.

I have seen these motors advertised by Race Prep.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:58 AM
Tech Regular

I have a Monster Stock Pro with Ball Bearings and its flies!. The guy i got the motor off was using it to race in MECA.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I guess it is outlaw for races, but for a good practise and bashing, I think those "stock" motor are pretty good.

I am in fact, running a 12T modified motor. It is a Yokomo T-Maxx rebuildable 23T stock, fitted with ball bearing and 12T machine wind armature from Kawada.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Johnny J
I have a Monster Stock Pro with Ball Bearings and its flies!. The guy i got the motor off was using it to race in MECA.

I believe in Australia all stock motor rules ban the use of ball bearings, and legal stock motors must have bushings.

I guess for club days each club has the ultimate say, but big races like MECA, state or national titles that motor would be illegal.

Not sure about MECA but Vic titles and the nationals last year it was all bushed motors.

Tony
Old 04-22-2003, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Ball bearings? Geez, thats gotta be a pretty small bearing to fit inside the motor.

Why are they illeagal in ROAR, do they make the motor unbelievably fast or somthing?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Tamiya - I have one of the 23T motors. These are really nice looking motors. They run really well too, I use it for practice and it is faster than my ROAR legal stockers. The can is stamped Tamiya and it is obvious what motor it is. I don't think any tech inspector would be fooled if you were running in a class that specifies ROAR rules.

Race Prep - Can is stamped "Race Tech", armature is tagged, "Outlaw 27-R". You'd need a pretty green tech inspector to miss that one...

There are other examples of these motors, but again they are all easily identified and anyone running in a class using ROAR rules shouldn’t even think about using these units. Further more, they are so well labeled that no tech inspector should ever be fooled if someone try’s to pull a fast one. All in all I don’t think this is a big deal at all.

Rules in general – They are just guidelines so people can compete with similar equipment. No matter how clear the rules are people will try anything to “push the envelope”. If people are cheating, let them, they will be caught, they will pay the price. IMO, people who cheat in a stock class need to grow up and start running mod with the big boys, maybe then they’ll be humbled.

The rest of us just need to practice a little more and try not to shake uncontrollably on the driver’s stand if we are actually doing well in a main.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

On the discussion of illegal stock motors....

I would be willing to bet that at any track in the country, there is at least one or two people who are cheating with stock motors.... different arm, bearings, cut winds, etc....

The fact remains that these people tend not to be the fast racers at the track, quite the opposite in fact, they are the ones who feel they need the extra HP to keep up with others at the track - because they cannot drive for ****...

Madcap - the bearings referred to are the same exact bearings that are in a mod style motor... they are direct replacement

Wilde
Old 04-22-2003, 12:21 PM
R/C Tech Founder

The best way to check for an illegal motor during a race is to pay close attention to how the car sounds and how the throttle reacts. Listen for the high-revving noise that is typical of a mod motor (or a really undergeared stock), and watch for a "jumpy" throttle.

Often times the people who try to cheat are the same people who don't know what to do with the speed; just two weeks ago we had a racer put a "hot" motor in his car at our track and it was great fun watching him go slower in the main than he did in qualifying.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, I see what you all mean, even with the added power, unless you know how to use it you won't do well. And if you are that hungry for speed go to a 19t spec or a mod motor.

I can barely drive a stock motor let alone a mod, even after years of Nintendo my reflex's suck.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Madcap Magician
I can barely drive a stock motor let alone a mod, even after years of Nintendo my reflex's suck.

hahahaaha ROTFLMFAO

-Dave
Old 04-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ya Futureal, you're right about the sound and the "jumpy" throttle, easy to distinguish.

I say if you wanna go fast, run mod, otherwise don't bother cheating cuz you will get caught. I.E. remember 2002 Cleveland Indoor Champs...not gonna name any names...
Old 04-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And for the reason why Bearing aren't allowed in stock motors, I could be wrong, but I believe it's simply that bearings cost more than bushings, which would push the retail price of a stock over the ROAR limit of $40(that's their retail price cap for stocks). Also, it is known that there are lots of bearings that are just made better than others, & could offer a slight advantage over a cheaper one, but with bushings, their all EXACTLY the same, so NO ONE has an edge....