R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   computer power supply (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/165237-computer-power-supply.html)

koolkidd 05-28-2007 01:05 AM

computer power supply

hey all,

ok ive converted a power supply and it runs fine, voltage output is reading 12.1 however when i put the charger in the correct slots to power it the supply shuts off and i have to remove the power cord and re insert so it will power up again.

so what is going wrong?

cheers

acko 05-28-2007 01:23 AM

your computer power supply can not supply enough amps the charger requires

LogiK 05-28-2007 01:25 AM

also when inserting the negative input into the power supply (red already in), it seems like its shorting it out, as it sparks and shuts off.. wont turn on when both plugs are in :S

acko 05-28-2007 01:53 AM

it will be no good for what you want to do.it already looks as if its not worth mucking around with, bin it and buy a 20amp supply

koolkidd 05-28-2007 02:06 AM

yea i would but money is the problem, buying a hundred dollar supply is easier said then done.

yeahyeah 05-28-2007 02:57 AM

power

I didnt quite understand the problem and am no electronics expert but I use an old AT power supply for home use works fine also depends on the charger .I have tried two different chargers one works the other false peaks all the time -if you can try to turn down the charge rate.

LogiK 05-28-2007 04:05 AM

Dan lets just buy a car battery to use at the track, then we can all use it with no worries and wont need to worry about starting a car..

Evilstealth 05-28-2007 04:34 AM

Mate dont worry bout it, its fine just use the computer PSU (Power Supply Unit), i have been and i have had no problems with mine, like LogiK said it does short when you plug something in when the PSU is on all you got to do is plug everything in before you turn it on. If you get sick of unplugging the power everytime it turns off you can put a switch between the Green Wire and the Black Wire this can also be used as your normal switch that you use to turn the PSU on and off.

I have heard that the computer PSU's can handle well above the rated Amps,i had 2 chargers which were charging that was 11amps, an equalizer, and cooling fans all on a "9 amp" PSU and it was fine ran a little warmer but nuthin that the fan couldnt handle there was no input voltage errors or anything like that and it ran all day, pretty much constant charging/equalizing.

If you need a hand with anything just PM me.

Adam

Johnathan 05-28-2007 07:12 AM

my computer power supply does the same thing, it will shut off if you plug something into it suddenly. the solution to this, is just to plug everything before you turn on the supply.

and the sparks you see when you plug it in, its not shorting, its just the electricity wanting to complete the curcuit, so it naturally sparks. if you dont like the sparking ( and the supply shuts off after it ), then just plug whatever in, and then turn the supply on.

the power supplies are not over rated. thay can handle, for example, 12v at 12A. this means it will supply 12 volts at 12 Amps. lets put this power to 2 chargers. each charger charges a 6 cell nimh at 7 amps. so, a total of 14 Amps is bieng used, right? no. the chargers will draw 12v at whatever current is needed, but the chargers CONVERT the voltage into extra current. EX. 12v at 1A to 9v at 2A? thats not exact, but thats the concept.

now, if you were charging 2 12v batts at 7 a, it would be drawing more amps than the ps is rated for.

Livingston 05-28-2007 07:28 AM

Your compter supply probable has overcurrent protection, so when you
connect to the output the current spikes and the protection will kick in.
Re-connecting the mains resets the protection.

gndprx 05-28-2007 07:55 AM

I have a 25A converted supply and I have to connect all of my components before turning on the PS, otherwise it shuts down as you describe.

However once everything is connected and the PS turned on, I run a Turbo 35, 2 ICE chargers and the fans of a Zero-30 all with no problems. And I charge 8k LiPo's on the ICE while charging 4200's on the CE. Never had a shut down yet as long as you don't plug something new in while the PS is on.

Skiddins 05-28-2007 08:44 AM

Can you give us the specs of the PSU (written on the label) and possibly a photo of what your connecting and where?

Skiddins

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...su-pinouts.gif

Marcos.J 05-28-2007 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by koolkidd
yea i would but money is the problem, buying a hundred dollar supply is easier said then done.

try radio shack you can get them under $80.00!!

Big B 05-28-2007 01:00 PM

First off try what a few others have said and plug the charger into the power supply first, then power up the power supply. What charger are you trying to use, some like the ICE require a minimum amount of amps I think the ICE needs at least 19amps. Check Ebay for a higher amp power supply you can ususally get a 20-30amp for around $40.

LogiK 05-28-2007 01:38 PM

No, it wont turn on if you plug em in then turn it on.