Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone12

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Default P2

How do you widen the front? that sounds kind of interesting.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker1
How do you widen the front? that sounds kind of interesting.
Simple...just add little shims/washers to the front axles. Start with .5mm shims and go up if needed.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

P2 is correct in everything he has suggested.

The things I would try first are the front brace and widening the front track. I find the 12X FRP front brace to be the best. It will fit on both cars.

Be careful when shimming the front axles not to use shims that are too wide, or they will catch on the bearings. I use two 0.5mm Hot Bodies kingpin shims on each side, gives a front end width of 165mm. In fact I've glued them on so I don't lose them!

If you are running on carpet I'd try Associated .020 front springs too. The kit springs are too soft.

Trev
Old 02-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Will Try this Weekend

I have actually tried everything that P2 has suggested except the brace and widening the front. So I will be trying that this weekend. I actually have another question. I was reading the M11 manual about the Dual Rate, Expo and Arc. Is it just me or they are all the same adjustments? Do you guys change all three?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker1
I have actually tried everything that P2 has suggested except the brace and widening the front. So I will be trying that this weekend. I actually have another question. I was reading the M11 manual about the Dual Rate, Expo and Arc. Is it just me or they are all the same adjustments? Do you guys change all three?
I don't have an Airtronics radio....but when I owned an M8, it was the Expo that I had at - 5-10%.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Dual rate, expo and arc are all different things that affect the response to movement of the controls. Looking at steering as an example, dual rate is the adjustment that controls the amount of steering servo movement you get for a given amount of wheel movement. Lower dual rate values give less servo movement for the same amount of wheel movement. But anywhere along the wheels travel, a given amount of wheel movement will provide the same amount of steering servo movement. Just less overall with lower dual rate values, more with higher values.

What expo will do is to reduce (or increase) the amount of servo movement in relation to steering wheel movement near the center, but at the ends you still get the full amount that the dual rate is calling for. It';s just that the servo movement starts at a lesser rate then smoothly increases as the wheel is turned further from the center. On an Airtronics radio, negative values for expo make the servo movement less sensitive to wheel movement near center, positive expo values make the servo more sensitive near the center and taper off the respons as you get out toward the end of the wheel movement.

ARC is similar to expo, except that rather than a gradually increasing or decreasing servo response to wheel movement as you get further fromvcenter, you get one llinear rate of response until you hit a certain point in the wheel travel, then it changes to a higher or lower rate beyond that spot. The point in the travel where the rate switches is also settable in ARC, whereas with expo it's a smooth increase or decrease in response all the way from center to the end.

Hope that makes sense...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Race Report:
This past Sunday was the March Muscle Car Madness race @ the lower level raceway in Pennsauken NJ. I ran 1/12 stk with my new Cyclone 12x.
The car was very good from the start. I did make a few changes but nothing major. First round was clean. I was sitting 3rd. Second round I changed my gearing for a little more punch. I went faster but was bumped down to 4th. 3rd round I had a horrible run, getting caught up in traffic. Going into the main I tried some grey rears for a little more corner speed. The change worked well. I got a good start and was running 2nd. During the race I dropped back to 4th. First place broke so the battle was between the top 3. I got through traffic and was running first with just a few laps to go. The race came down to the last lap. I made a mistake and second got by. I ended up finishing 2nd. Not bad for the first day out with the new car.
Thanks to all!!

Last edited by Fred Perkins; 08-31-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

I now have a few more sections of my build article on the HB 12x up at http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?page_id=112. This will show a few of the things we do to the car in the UK when building it. The sections up now are as follows.

Opening The Box
New Parts
Preparing The Carbon
Building The Front Suspension
The T Bar
Rear Pod Assembly
Rear Brace and Damper Plates
Ride Height Adjusters and Bearings

The rest of the article should hopefully be up in a week or so, work and kids permitting.

The HB Cyclone 12 and 12x has been a pretty successful car in the UK, with around a quarter of the field running it in the nationals.

Trev
Old 03-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone still running these cars? If so, are there any gotchas?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Champion

I am running the 12x. Very nice car. No gotchas. LOL

I would just change the front springs to a 20 or 22 and you should be good to go.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

THanks Fred, I used to run 1/12th scale and loved it, I am considering getting another one..
Old 03-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

I don't run them all the time. But I consider it good driving practice. The 12x was great right out the box. I did add all the hop ups.
I just though the front springs were a little soft so I ran BMI 22's. If you are going to run brush-less hit me up on an e-mail and I will send you some pics of my rear damper mod so that it doesn't hit the motor. For tires I liked purple fronts with grey or yellow rears.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

What hop-ups did you use?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Aluminum servo mount, Aluminum rear lower pod plate, 2.5mm chassis and Titanium front screws. I didn't use the plastic front bumper. I just used the chassis protectors and a Slapmaster bumper. I also used ceramic diff balls and a Slapmaster thrust bearing.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

sweet, sounds like a nice ride..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.