Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 AM
wwoodruff

I think you are better off with the aluminum chassis. The cg is changed drastically by using a lighter chassis, without re engineering the whole car it would probably handle terribly. Besides, hard aluminum stands up to track wear much better. Have you compared the weight of the stock and your new chassis?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwoodruff
I think you are better off with the aluminum chassis. The cg is changed drastically by using a lighter chassis, without re engineering the whole car it would probably handle terribly. Besides, hard aluminum stands up to track wear much better. Have you compared the weight of the stock and your new chassis?
I disagree.. The aluminum was needed for its heat sink properties and C/F on the electric is a great idea. If you are going to make it .. make it right!
I know the buggy conversions still use the aluminum chassis , but thats a conversion. Make that thing as light as possible without compromising its integrity.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM
wwoodruff

Who said anything about off-road buggies?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Who said anything about off-road buggies?
I think I just did for comparison purposes. Also for those cars the aluminum is far easier to make contoured. As to C/F needs to me specifically molded to that shape. For on road the pan is flat and would make nice for a C/F chassis.
lighter is better ,,, no matter where the weight is. As long as it can take the load .. Use it where ever cost effective.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM
wwoodruff

Are you an engineer? Thought so. I voiced my opinion, you have yours can we leave it at that?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Are you an engineer? Thought so. I voiced my opinion, you have yours can we leave it at that?
Aren't we both just expressing our humble opinions ?
Isn't that what these forums are for ?
I am in fact an Electronics Engineer with a strong background I Physics and Mechanical Engineering. Being a dyslexic left handed Pollack doesn't help but me but I can analyze things very well with the computer in my head... even though its a little slow.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Serpent 966 Brushless

Serpent 966 Brushless.
Attached Thumbnails Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pictures-185.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pictures-186.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pictures-189.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pictures-188.jpg  

Last edited by Got the grip; 05-18-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Got the grip
Serpent 966 Brushless.
Wo nice work......Is that a homemade?
So you dun use the servo for braking?
Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Tech Champion

Actually no it wouldn't...The stock chassis layout is designed around a CG for a nitro car which is much higher due to it's tall engine, fuel tank, and throttle servo. Simply changing the car to an electric is drastically lowering the CG already from what it is designed for. Raising it a hair from the new CG to use better materials isn't going to hurt it any.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I use the RD Logics replacement chassis on my nitro Evolva and it weighs a little under 207grams. The new custom E'volva chassis weighs in at 203grams.
Not much difference and I still have more material I can remove later if I wish.
I wanted to evaluate the new CG once the car is complete and then decide where and how to change the weight bias.
I'm trying to get a 50/50 weight ratio and I need to see where I stand before getting into CF and removing more metal.
The MRX3 was almost there and it really made the car stable.

I'm still waiting on some parts and I'm doing a few tweeks to the chassis to get some of the parts to fit better.

I'll post some new pics once I get further along.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

I for one would love to see that Serpent F180 as a Brushless car.
It looks authentic and sweet as can be just that it uses that stinky polluting juice to make it go. you know, that Formula one car with the pit bag for about $1000. Li-Po's RULE!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Actually no it wouldn't...The stock chassis layout is designed around a CG for a nitro car which is much higher due to it's tall engine, fuel tank, and throttle servo. Simply changing the car to an electric is drastically lowering the CG already from what it is designed for. Raising it a hair from the new CG to use better materials isn't going to hurt it any.
Thank you for the back up G.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Serpent 966 Brushless.
Awsome job GTG!!!
That's some sweet machining.

I hope it's not too stiff like the Serpent Veteq from the past. If I remember correctly, it had some problems with grip.

I'd love to see it run!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

Serpent 966 Brushless.
That's purdy!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoDog
Awsome job GTG!!!
That's some sweet machining.

I hope it's not too stiff like the Serpent Veteq from the past. If I remember correctly, it had some problems with grip.

I'd love to see it run!
Thanks .

The serpent 966 gives the Best mechanical Grip as far as 1/8 scale Onroad chassis"s Go. There will be no problems with Grip
All the 1/8 scale onroad chassis are great. I just like working with serpent;s The Veteq was a OK car .It was just hard to set-up!!.
Anyway here are a few more photos of chassis #2
Attached Thumbnails Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pictures-190.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pictures-204.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pictures-205.jpg   Will there ever be a 1/8th scale Electric onroad car-pictures-202.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.